Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I broke my "no more CDs, you need to save money!" rule in Montreal, but in was for a good cause--Vincent Delerm has a new album out! (Maybe, maybe, noise knows about Vincent Delerm...) He's a modern-day chansonnier who writes songs about things like...his relationship with the picture of Fanny Ardant in his living room, leaving a boring play before the end ("on a posé un lapin au monologue shakespearien"), and girls who read Bukowski. And it was cheap! And it was cheap in Canadian money, which means it was like, $2 US money, or something.

Vincent Delerm--Kensington Square

But no more CDs until September, for real!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Mademoiselle Buenos Aires,

Oui, je connais Vincent Delerm. It's thanks to you actually. You recommended his album to me when my wife and I met you in Paris, along with Dionysos, Katherine, and Serge. I bought and adore all of them. Did you ever get to hear any of Dionysos' earler work? Western Sous La Neige is my favorite, but Haiku is very, very good. "Song for Jedi" is my son's favorite song in the world.

I'll have to track down the new Vincent Delerm. My favorite line on the one disc I have is:

"...A la table d'a cote ils ont vu un Beckett
Ils disent c'st pas mal joue mais faut aimer Beckett..."

That makes me laugh every time I hear it. Exactly how so many people react to Beckett.

Anyway, thanks. My cd player thanks you as well.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
miss buenos aires

I knew I would have recommended it to you, but I couldn't remember if I had discovered him by then. Glad I did! I love that line about Beckett too, especially the way he hesitates a little before saying "aimer," which is exactly how you say it:"you have to...love Beckett..."
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Exactly. Very precisely funny. I was in a production of Waiting for Godot once, and the director, practically daily, would say, "I don't know what the hell that line is supposed to mean....it's genius, of course."

So did you ever hear the other Dionysos stuff? It's edgier and more experimental, but not necessarily better than the more accessible later stuff. I got a box set in Paris of their first 3 albums for 30 euro. Might be hard to find stateside.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
miss buenos aires

I bought that 3-box set, noise, and listened to each CD exactly once. No, wait, I listened to the blue egg one a few times, but I just didn't get as into it as much as Western.

While we're on the subject, there's someone in Montreal who...loves Beckett:
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

miss buenos aires wrote: Image
Apparently that line in Krapp's Last Tape about Krapp not wanting to be young again because it would mean forsaking the fire that is inside him really struck a chord with somebody.

That was so bad. Please forgive me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Great photo!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

J'aime Beckett. I haven't read every word he ever wrote, but not too far off. Hard to say if I love his prose more than his plays, but both are equally superb, I guess. This was very much a studenthood and early-post-studenthood passion, so something to return to and reassess, and in fact I haven't seen any plays other than on telly since studenthood, when I saw all the famous/longer ones. I very much want to read the big Knowlson biog. I read Deirdre Bair when that was current, but Knowlson is much more like Ellman is to Joyce: authoritative.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Ms. BA, I love your outfit!

Today I bought Almost Blue only; they didn't have the others. The guy at the counter said they sold out of the other reissues. Unbelievable! Who are these elusive Elvis fans living in my midst, buying up what is rightfully mine?

So, in lieu of Kojak Variety and Goodbye Cruel World, I bought Stevie Wonder 'Innervisions' and David Bowie 'Ziggy Stardust'.

Impulse buy of the day: The Essential Monkees. $5.99!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Almost Blue DLx edition
Goodbye Cruel World DLx edition

I need Kojak Variety next. That is probably the EC album I am most unfamiliar with.

Is Painted With Memory going to get a reissue? Or is that too "recent"?
Otis Westinghouse

G2S: is that regular Zig, or 30th anniv Zig with bonus CD and booklet? I'm waiting for the latter to arrive soon myself, from the US. No trace of it over here now, too limited an edition.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

As well as the AB & GCW reissues I picked up two cheapies in the sales:
Talking Heads: 77, and a strange Squeeze compilation under the Up the Junction title.
signed with love and vicious kisses
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I just ordered the recent reissues from the States (which means halfprice for me, even with shipping and gargantuan Swedish taxes) and to support the local stores went out and bought Safe As Milk, Babylon And On and Figure 8. Promising first listens to all of them.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Otis W., it's just regular ol' Zig, as stupid, stupid Barnes & Noble didn't have the other, and stupid, stupid me didn't realize it existed! I need to pay more attention.... But I had it only on vinyl, and nothing with which to play it. Moonage Daydream has been inexplicably running through my head recently, and there was this vinyl, just taunting me. Had to have it today, couldn't wait. That'll teach me a lesson, won't it?
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I havn't purchased a cd in a while. I have been trading my own songs with other people who write lately. Kitty Mortland from Chicago has sent me over a dozen songs and she is very good. I hope you will have heard of her one of these days.

Oh and Blue Chair, you owe me some of your songs !!!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Goody2Shoes wrote:Ms. BA, I love your outfit!
Ditto, Miss BA. 8)
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Back to the Pretenders (because Noise and MBA have gone completely over my head!)

Loose Screw is an incredibly good record and I have to say I was a bit surprised because I wasn't expecting as much. I've been kind of lukewarm about the last few Pretenders records (but don't get me wrong, there are some very good songs there.)
I have to say that none compare to their first two records which, IMHO, are just about perfect (except for I Go To Sleep, for which as hard as I tried, I just never warmed up to.)

As far as new discs~ I picked up a bunch while in NYC for the Lincoln Center shows. All on sale except for the Joe Jackson Band Vol. 4.
And it's a good thing they were cheap cause I made a couple of poor selections.

Well, De-Lovely, but only because of the obvious. I did listen to it a few times. It's okay background music but I don't think I'll be reaching for it any time soon.

Dynamite Hack~Superfast, which I had loned out and never got back. I love that record.

The Distillers~Sing Sing Death House. Don't like it. (Should've got The Donnas instead.)

Jaime Cullum~Twentysomething. Never heard of him til I saw him do the title song on some songwriters award thing. Impressed me so that I went out and bought the disc. Very nice.

Aimee Mann~Bachelor No.2. Haven't opened it yet.

Refused~The Shape of Punk to Come. Haven't heard it.

BeastieBoys~To the 5 Boroughs. Always been a big fan. They still got it.

And by far the best two of the bunch~
The Hives~Your New Favourite Band and Tyrranesaurus Hives. Both so excellent!
I'm not angry anymore....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

got the AB and GCW reissues(score!)the Reverend Horton Heat's Full Custom Gospel Sounds(fabulous)and Give 'Em the Boot II, mostly because it's got this Pietasters song on it that I love--it also has a demo of x-ray style for all you strummer fans.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Goody2Shoes wrote:Had to have it today, couldn't wait. That'll teach me a lesson, won't it?
You're not to blame if you didn't know, and anyone suffering from Ziggy Withdrawal Syndrome needs to get their fix quick. Good on you.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Thank you for being so understanding, Otis.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Oh god, guilty secrets time...I won The best of Cliff Richard in a pub quiz.

Some of the songs, by this bloke Tarner, are not bad songs per se (We don't talk anymore, Some people) but I know fully realise that Cliff Richard is a robot singer...everything sounds the same, with no emotion at all, and then there are some truly f**king awful songs on there, like Millenium Prayer, which just makes me want to nail red hot razorblades into my eyes. Ouch!
This CD will stay well hidden.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hey , if it includes Move It it nots all bad!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

picked up last night, and this morning:

the newest reissues, of course: KJ, AB, GCW. have so far gotten thru AB.

this morning:

Time (The Revelator) - Gillian Welch
Franz Ferdinand
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Otis Westinghouse

Poppet, do you love the latter? Tell us your thoughts.

Finally, finally I have the Ziggy 30th reissue (sorry Goody2, not trying to rub it in or nothing). I was a bit pissed off to find 'maxiomg' (in Michigan, I think) had sent it just loose in a jiffy bag, so the minor wear and tear it was showing as a 'marketplace' item was probably worsened in transit, but as this is the only copy I've been able to get my mitts on, I ain't complaining. The booklet is brilliant. It has loads of great photos, including loads of extra shots from the cover shoot. It's my first time with a digital Ziggy, so that was fun. No experience in life can put me quite as in touch with my 11 year old self as this LP, and yet it still sounds so wonderful now. I find it hard to get my hand around how wonderful this LP is, and what a pleasure it is to know every note, beat and word of something, and still find loads more reasons to listen to it and discover new things in it. Haven't played CD2 yet, but ca't wait. It has some classics I've wanted to hear for years and never have, like Holy, Holy.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Kojak Variety reissue - Elvis Costello