Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

<b>Fancy Ultra Fresh</b> by Freezepop

boston-area synth-pop. saw them last week, in a short set at a Kerry benefit show, and they were wonderful! funny. witty. synth pop! come on, you know you want it!

i've been listening to the cd all weekend, and have put it on my work computer. you've arrived when you've made it to my work computer.

http://www.freezepop.com mp3s available.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Picked up these oldies on the cheap last week.

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left & Pink Moon
Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs
Bob Dylan - Another Side Of
signed with love and vicious kisses
Meadowmeal

Post by Meadowmeal »

EC - Trust 2CD (only 10 euros at play.com!)
Moose - Uptown Invisible EP (great EP from an unjustly forgotten British indiepop band)
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat, the songs of Leonard Cohen
"A WONDERFUL WOODEN REASON"
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Todd Rundgren - Liars
Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk

(both used for $8.99...I'm on a budget now!!)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just got :
Van Lear Pear - Loretta Lynn ( her album with Jack White ; I've liked what I've heard on the radio )

English Oboe Concertos 9 ( ASV , 2003) ( for the recording of Goosens Concerto En Un Mouvement , Op.45 . Rubly Ashley's performance of it with The RTE National Symphony Orchestra at a recent lunchtime show here in Dublin turned me on to this composer)
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Traffic's The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys (remaster)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Pov

Post by Pov »

Just bought the new CD from The Hives - Tyranosaurus Hives.

I've only listened to it once. Very similar to their previous CD, only a bit longer.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I was given John Martyn's Solid Air recently. I don't know much about him, though I did see him live in front of Barcelona Cathedral for free in '87. it's dead good. Lovely vibe to the whole thing. Bassist Danny Thompson and he obviously combined very well. How's the Serendipity compilation, Crow? Solid Air is the only LP of his I know of. Any conoisseurs?

In addition to the Diamond Dogs reissue (see above), I got the Aladdin Sane one from US Amazon marketplace, some supplier in brooklyn called Music World or the like. Bit put out cos the case is a bit damaged and the booklet is poorly printed and trimmed and doesn't fit the casing propery. It has the copy control symbols on it, but I wonder is it a bootleg. It's virtually unobtainable over here, even on eBay. Though I did see it at HMV Oxford St for an outrageous £27. It has the original studio recording of All The Young Dudes, which I didn't have before (not as good as Mott The Hoople), some alternate versions of singles, and some live US '72 stuff, inc. Jean Genie from Santa Monica recording, which I already have, so compared to the Costello reissues, it's nothing great, though the booklet is good. Next up the Ziggy reissue.

Also from US Amazon, Bowie 'Early On', all the really early stuff, '64-'66. Delivered for £6! It's got some great stuff on it, stuff I'd only read about before like Liza Jane. It's much more in line with his peers than the 66-68 tony Newley-influenced stuff, in keeoing with the roots displayed on Pin Ups. mixture of early singles and demos. Well worth checking out if you're a fan.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Brian Wilson - Gettin' In Over My Head
Kronos Quartet - Nuevo
Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

I had a shortlist of like 20 albums to look for, and ended up getting three that I wasn't even initially thinking about. Go figure.

That's it until the Elvis reissues, I think
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

And the 20 others?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Albums I didn't end up with include:

1. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
2. Sam Phillips - A Boot And A Shoe
3. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs 30th Anniversary
4. Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (remastered)
5. Paul McCartney - Venus & Mars
6. Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour Of The Bewilderbeast
7. Brad Mehldau - Largo
8. Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site
9. Magnetic Fields
10. Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society (3CD edition)
11. Bob Dylan: Live 1964
.. whew
I'm tired
do I have to list all 20? I'd end up with 50
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

You're excused. You owe it to yourself to get no. 4, you know. I'd forgotten how good most of it is. And the bonus disc is largely very interesting, unlike the Aladdin Sane one...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Number 6 is good Blue, but forget about the latest two things he's done...naff IMHO.

Have any of you heard of this geezer Josh Ritter...has done an album called Hello Starling. I heard one of his songs (Wings) on the front of a music mag, and it was pretty good....just wunderin if anyone else has heard anything and can give me a 'yay or nay'.
Otis Westinghouse

Wouldn't that be three things, with the film soundtrack, a regular LP from the same time and the new one? I love Silent Sigh (featuring P. Thomas, of course). Is that the soundtrack or not? Which one is the feeding the fish one?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I liked the About a boy soundtrack (feat. Silent sigh), which was before Have you fed the fish? and One plus one is one, the latest one..neither of those two have done it for me really...but it's all about opinions!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

the About A Boy soundtrack is what got me into Badly Drawn Boy. The only album other than that that I have is Have You Fed The Fish, which is alright.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Ray Charles - The Genius Hits The Road. On Rhino. It's got 7 extra 'road' rongs (incl. Blue Moon Of Kentucky) on top of what was on the original LP, 10 pages of liner notes, and exhaustively lists personnel, when sessions were recorded, etc. Remastered by the same guys involved with the EC reissues: Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch... probably why, say, the volume of the backing vocals is just right. Great in the car.

The Pretenders - Loose Screw. Better than I dared to expect (a lot), and with 2 bonus tracks (probably not particular to just here, as my computer tells me it's 'Loose Screw [UK]'), which are also excellent: Complicada - Chrissie sings a Spanish version of track 4, Complex Person, and a 10 1/2 minute I Wish You Love (a sparse string-laden ballad). Strings are used throughout the album, and it has a real precision and efficacy about it. Walk Like A Panther is credited to Jarvis Cocker among others.

The Blackeyed Susans - All Souls Alive (features great songwriting and performances by David McComb of The Triffids - some of his last recordings before he died).

Pulp - Countdown - a compilation with the best of their first few apparently relatively unremarkable albums (thanks again for the input, Miss BA. And I got Different Class some time ago - very, very good).

Liz Phair - Liz Phair. Am quite enjoying this and I only have one other Liz album so can't really relate to the backlash reviews.

Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
Little Steven - Born Again Savage
Go-Betweens - Spring Hill Fair
David Bowie - Tonight, at $6.95 <sticking my tongue out at Otis>
Percy Sledge - The Ultimate Collection. 20 Songs. (so I open up the two page sleeve, and what do I get? Blank white space... I hate it when that happens).
Otis Westinghouse

<sticking my tongue out at Boo> I bet you play it all of once and then leave it gathering dust. Some day, once I've got all the more relevant stuff on CD, and have finally tracked down the very hard to get Buddha of Suburbia, I'll probably buy the 80s trilogy for £3 per CD in a sale, but I doubt I'll play them more than once!

Is this a totally new Pretenders CD then? Don't think I've heard or seen anything about this. Is it really worth it? Was the last one Vive La Revolution, or something along those lines, or has there been something since? Does any of it measure up to greats such as Hollywood Perfume and Night in my Veins, from the last one I've heard?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Loose Screw came out last year. It's better than Viva El Amor, not as good as Last Of The Independents (few albums are) nor are the songs as pop-rocky as those. A few initially left me wanting them to take off more, like Lie To Me - a bad choice for a single and a bit repetitive (should have been Saving Grace as far as giving people an idea). But it comes together overall eventually, draws you in with more listens - you notice the layering of vocals, and textures. It got some confused reviews, probably for those reasons. Even I first thought: there goes Chrissie trying to sound all sexy again (especially when heartbroken), gimme a break. Then I realized she can't help but sound so. There's actually few strings on it (3 or 4 songs), though also some string-sounding keyboards. There's also some brass. Yes, I'd say it's worth it... don't forget about the extra tracks. I Wish You Love (Charles Trenet/A Beach) really adds as a closer.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Oh dear, that was my hangover talking. Of course they had a new one out last year, I do recall. And I was muddling a song off Last of the Independents up with the title Viva El Amor! So would you say LOTI's is their best LP? I always thought of them as a singles not ab LP band, cos with the early ones it sounded to me like a few classics and lots of filler, but the above is very good.

What is her sexiest vocal performance? A very hard oneto answer, I grant you. For me it has to be Night In My Veins.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Last Of The Independents is the best, imho. The first three are very good and probably come as favourites to a lot of people... just so many classics.

What kind of sexy vocal are we talking about - there's raunchy, cute, blissful, heartbroken... etc, etc. Thin Line Between Love And Hate, possibly.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years
The Smiths - Louder than bombs
Marvin Gaye - The Tamla Motown collection
Otis Westinghouse

bambooneedle wrote:What kind of sexy vocal are we talking about - there's raunchy, cute, blissful, heartbroken... etc, etc.
Let's go for all four at once, and any others you care to lob in.

Nice trio, Crow. I got FWY recently too. Whaddya reckon? Have you been Oscillating Wild(e)ly?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I like it....especially St Christopher.

I always oscillate wildly, that is when I'm not booting the grime of this world in the crotch! I didn't realise this, but was reading in the Q special edition Smiths thing (which is good), that this (louder than bombs) was originally only a US release rather than releasing The world won't listen and Hatful of hollow...but it sold more over here!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The new They Might Be Giants disc, The Spine, is phenomenal. And if you order it from their website http://www.theymightbegiants.com as a download, you get it and a 7 song bonus ep called The Spine Surfs Alone for a total of $12. They get all the money, and you get 2 discs for the price of less than one. If you like these guys, I highly recommend buying these discs this way. It's this kind of legitimate web commerce that makes the RIAA most nervous. It put the money directly into the hands of the artists and makes the RIAA completely futile. But, as the Johns point out on their website, they went out on a limb by making the tracks available for download, so please don't pass them on to others or copy the files from someone else. They really don't want that to happen.

With TMBG, there's really no excuse for p2p file sharing anyway. Almost everything they've ever recorded is available for download directly from them for very low prices, and if you give them an email address, they send you a link to a free mp3 download about every week.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare