Songs we can't listen to

Pretty self-explanatory
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Some strange comments in here....Lipstick Vogue ?? Surely one of his (and the Attractions) greatest few minutes.

Broken is the only one I can't stand. I don't mind 'She' myself. Not played very much, but I wouldn't turn it off it came on the radio.

Parts of For the Stars I love: Green Song is fantastic.

Painted from Memory has a lot of Cheese (squashy it goes) but I guess that was the point.

Juliet Letters is cool

Elvis is king

oh well. No accounting for taste. :?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
MegJS

Post by MegJS »

Luxembourg
Playboy to a Man
Veronica
Libraries filled up with failed ideas
There's nothing more for me there
I trust in tender ink and gentle airs
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

Mr. Average wrote:Lipstick Vogue may very well be my absolute favorite. My least favorite: selections from the Juliet letters.
If I have to think about a "solid" Costellian masterpiece, that time cannot swept away, and that has objective substantial features, then "Lipstick Vogue" is probably the one that I would chose (at least from the early period). It has a unbeatable hysterical neurotic franticness developed in a parossistic way in the "only instruments" section.

Songs I can't stand: I loathe Battered Old Bird, maybe Fish'n'Chip Papers, lots from GCW, Broken, various from WIWC & TDM. I think the God Give Me Strenght version on PFM is too slow, boring, depressing, over-arranged, and the vocals are not so good. The quicker piano-guitar live version is far better.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Urgh, Veronica. It reminds me of a Swedish band called G.E.S. In fact most of Spike reminds me of G.E.S. And that's probably why it's the only E.C album I've got that I barely like at all. There are a couple good songs on it, but the ones that are good are usually too long.

Don't care much for She either.
Monkey Girl

Post by Monkey Girl »

I heard an acoustic version of Veronica a couple years back that was BEAUTIFUL.
Was it on Live by Request? Does anyone remember?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Oh! I don't care much for Battered Old Bird or Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head on Blood & Chocolate, I find E.C's voice too annoying at times. BHHHEHHEEEDDD. However, the live versions of both these songs on a bootleg called This Is Tomorrow are excellent.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

first of all, I can't stand Plaboy to a Man, most of GCW. I like the demo versions of PTC better than the album. Chewing Gum and Pads,Paws and Claws are forgetable in Spike. I never really liked Moods for Moderns.

Now I can't believe nobody has yet come out in defense of The Juliet Letters, that album is just beautiful. i have to admit that when i got it i didn't quite know what to think of it and it has never been one of my favorites but i was just listening to it a couple days ago and i just found it amazing. I know EC's voice in it can sound coarse at times and even downright annoying but the strings alone are what make this album worth to listen to. Pardon me for a lack of classical music jargon but i just love the crescendos and breakdowns in each song. in fact i think elvis is simply accompanying the brodsky quartet as opposed to the other way around and without him it would have been a great classical album that i never would have purchased.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Hehe, I really like Playboy To A Man, but then again I like the not too unsimiliar The Deportees Club (though I like Deportee better) of GCW as well, which most people seem to hate.
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

strangerinthehouse wrote:first of all, I can't stand Plaboy to a Man, most of GCW. I like the demo versions of PTC better than the album. Chewing Gum and Pads,Paws and Claws are forgetable in Spike. I never really liked Moods for Moderns.

Now I can't believe nobody has yet come out in defense of The Juliet Letters, that album is just beautiful. i have to admit that when i got it i didn't quite know what to think of it and it has never been one of my favorites but i was just listening to it a couple days ago and i just found it amazing. I know EC's voice in it can sound coarse at times and even downright annoying but the strings alone are what make this album worth to listen to. Pardon me for a lack of classical music jargon but i just love the crescendos and breakdowns in each song. in fact i think elvis is simply accompanying the brodsky quartet as opposed to the other way around and without him it would have been a great classical album that i never would have purchased.
Oh uh uh uh, yeah, here I am: The Juliet Letters is one of the finest Costello achievement (thanks to the collaboration with the Brodsky Quartet), splendid, elegant, humorous, sensitive - "and those who don't appareciate it aren't able to tell a pudding from a shit!". Oh, did I say too much? Oh my.
Last edited by RinghioStarr on Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Right on, Ringhio!
cos we're in the know
about Juliet
and I bet
at least 6 more
cos they let
you get a good score
and download them
the whole set
with a modem