What´s the best british record from the 90´s?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I wouldn't describe Moz, Jarv or Damo as accent-accentuators, really, more vocal mannerists who push the mannerisms. Obviously the attuned ear will pick up Yorkshire/Manchester/Colchester (well, London), pretty much, but they are first and foremost uniquely themselves. The Mug point about the speaking voice coming through is true, with the idiosyncrasy knob up high. Moz did stipulate to record shops that people who asked for the 7" of /a:sk/ (long, southern 'a') as opposed to /aesk/ (short, northern 'a') weren't to be given the record, bless him!

For those who were there, we had a good discussion way back when of the Costello spoken accent issue, which seems to have transformed from Cockney in '79 to Irishy Scouse now, yet the singing voice has always sounded like Irishy Americanny Scouse. (Anyone recall the Sting/EC duel which involved EC asking Sting why he sang in a fake Jamaican accent and Sting riposting with why did EC sing in a fake American one? Both had a point.) I cringe a little every time he sings 'darrrrling' on North, he just seems to be cranking up the USometer (or perhaps, and with apologies to Blue Chair, the Canadometer) just that bit too much.

I knew a Scot once who, I think, knew someone involved in the recording of the first Proclaimers' single/LP. The story went that it was all sounding a bit tame and mediocre, and then they thought 'let's be really Scottish', so they massively cranked up the Caledoniaometer, and, hey presto 'Wen ye gooooo ...'.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

That wouldnae surrrprrrise me. 5000 miles seems to be Scotland's unnoficial national anthem, I prefer Cap in hand, Sunshine on Leith, or their cover version of Smokey's Get Ready (here I come).

Anyone like the Divine Comedy...some good albums before the rubbish last one when he sacked his band, and I hear the new ones's supposed to be good. He doesn't hide his Derry accent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I HATE THE PROCLAIMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry,

Couldn't help myself. :oops:

Extra apologies to laughingcrow for finding "500 Miles" to be one of the most obnoxious songs in the history of recorded music.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

otis wrote:
I cringe a little every time he sings 'darrrrling' on North, he just seems to be cranking up the USometer (or perhaps, and with apologies to Blue Chair, the Canadometer) just that bit too much.
must be the canadometer! I've noticed that 'darling'--it's like he starts to roll the r and then swallows it. distinct. but not american. at least not on this side of the mason dixon line.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hey Blue...that's cool, I aint offended...... :D Im not a massive fan, some songs are good, but 500 miles is the most overplayed song ever in Scotland...so I dont really care for it. Sunshine on Leith is a good album all said though.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

laughingcrow wrote:Anyone like the Divine Comedy...some good albums before the rubbish last one when he sacked his band, and I hear the new ones's supposed to be good. He doesn't hide his Derry accent.
Derry or Fermanagh? He moved from one to the other aged 11! Rather an un-Irish accent though, no? One that betrays posh Anglican roots, anyway. I loved 'Everyone Knows That I Love You', and thought that mini-LP was good. I like his 'arch' early singles like 'The Frog Princess'. Haven't heard 'Regeneration', though it got lots of praise. Didn't his band play on it and tour it and then part ways with him? Nice voice, Scott Walker-esque. Huge fan of Joy Division and Closer in particular, so respect to him for that.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Neil Hannon's (Divine Comedy's main man) a nice guy as well. Well he'd have to be or he would'nt be served, as he regularly is, in the shop I run with my brother. He was in recently and there was a promo copy of his new album handy. I nearly asked him to sign it so that I could flog it on ebay. I decided to not risk it in case he did'nt get the joke.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Talk Talk - "Laughing Stock" .
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I HATE THE DIVINE COMEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely the most irritating 'band' since M People
corruptio optimi pessima