New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Da Stones tonite innit, supported by Haggard Merle. Hooray!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

enjoy that, Mr. Boom! I succumbed to the madness and tried to get tickets for the Charlotte show on an unbelievably slow dial-up connection, which turned out to be fortuitous because after I timed out on my cheap seats, I tried to buy ANY seat at ANY cost. Got no tickets, but I do still live indoors. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

twas a great show it twas. After a great start including a wonderful Tumbling Dice and Shattered , I think Keith and Woody got a bit bored in the middle and both seemed to stop playing. Wild Horses was murdered with Keith forgetting to actually play his acoustic and Woody banging away on his electric like he forgot how to play, criminal thing to do to such a beautiful song. But once the stage extended out and pushed the band onto a littler stage in the middle of the crowd things got great again, Get Off My Cloud, Miss You, Honky Tonk Woman, were all fantatic. Back on the big stage and Sympathy for the Devil, was absolutely amazing as was Jumping Jack Flash. A sublime You Cant Always Get What You Want was probably the highlight, Ronnie Woods solo was incredibly good, but really the last 7 or 8 songs was one long high, fantastic songs, fantastic playing, fantastic showmanship, and the mostest and bestest party streamers Ive ever seen. The crowd was ecstatic and the place was one big party, although I could have done without the drunken stoned youth who stumbled over the seat behind me and spilt beer all down my back.
Rock n Roll !!!
echos myron like a siren
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

If the drunken stoned youth had spilled beer all down your back and then thrown up on your shoes, that would have been really Rock 'n' Roll.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Beast of Burden?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

No Beast of Burden Otis.
And forgot about a great dirty and messy epic Midnight Rambler.
echos myron like a siren
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Tickets for the UK stadium tour go on sale on Saturday. Or Friday if you're an American Express cardholder. Ticket priced from £40 to £150.

I know it's only global corporate sponsored rock and roll but I...

...think I'll give it a miss thanks.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Yeah, I've seen Dylan, that's enough. Will never see the Stones, I guess.

Franz F, on the other hand, wahoo! Well worth the night out. Enjoyed the Ally Pally more than I expected. Great venue, great location. Editors were tedious and not worthy of their name - as someone said, more early U2 than Joy Division and very derviative. FF were bursting with energy and a sense of fun. Many songs came over really well, crowd were loving it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've seen The Stones on a few occasions and while it's cool that they're still out doing their thing, they're about the most predictable live act on the face of the planet at this point. The only case where I think I'd see them again is if they were to play a small club, cause those shows still manage to have some kind of spark to them.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

One thing I liked about FF was that, a bit like Costello with WTD and Chelsea, they put their most celebrated songs into the main set: Take Me Out was quite early on, a killer Dark of the Matinee, Darts of Pleasure, Michael. Encore of Jacqueline, Evil and a Heathen and a stonking This Fire to close. It's left me feeling really happy, good time music, band having great fun and audience feeding off the vibe. Alex K is so skinny, and manages to be a good entertainer without being too in love with himself. He's a Freddie fan and has said that if you're up there playing to an audience, you may as well go for it full on. Good on him. I liked the gentler ones too. Walk Away is a highlight, and Eleanor was lovely. No Fade Together sadly. Bizarre drum kit arrangement with ride cymbal tilted fully away from drummer, necessitating Keith Moon-style poncey drumstick-over-cymbal action. Outsiders was very good drum-wise, with his right stick replaced by a tambourine, and then the occasional 5th person on stage playing aforementioned cymbal (at the right angle!) and tom tom from behind the kit, and then a sound person came on an played the other tom tom - three people on a small drum-kit, great idea.

Highly recommend an evening with them, even if you're not a big fan.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Otis, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of Alex K in glasses, would you?
Otis Westinghouse

Can onlly find in sunglasses. Maybe he had laser treatment instead.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

My turn to see Robert Plant last night and he was awful. Arrogant 'I'm a legend so I dont need to try' attitude backed by a dreadful Led Zep tribute band. Maybe it didn't help that the sound was awful and I was sober.
What made the evening was the excellent support band, Those Legendary Shack Shakers. The sound was excellent and they badly showed up the main act. Passionate 110% full on rocking, I cant wait to see them again. Catch them when they play near you.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra, Newcastle City Hall

Now an annual fambly tradition, festive boogie with Jools & Co.

Sadly no Sam Brown this time but, quelle surprise! Marc Almond appeared mid set to sing Say Hello Wave Goodbye & Tainted Love. These sounded great as full band arrangements.

Also, amongst the encores, Ruby Turner sang a v. soulful Silent Night.

Recomended.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Really enjoyed Say Hello when he did it solo with Jools, so this must have been great. That's a fantastic song.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Los Lobos. Anaheim House of Blues. December 29th.
Incredible band. Good People. Great Music.

I have an extra ticket. I'm pretty sure that I'll still have an extra ticket by the weekend, and/or until I post its availability elsewhere.

Just sort of a gut feeling...........
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

If the deal is that they have to go with you, then I think you are right.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Yeah, you are probably correct.

But that isn't the deal.

Merry Christmas.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

martinfoyle wrote:Great Bob show tonight.
http://my.execpc.com/%7ebillp61/112605s.html
A very focussed, tight band sound and Bobs voice was in good shape. I was standing by a taper, and we were both straight in front of the right speaker stack. The sound was great so I'm sure it'll come out good. He had his microphones taped to the side of his sunglasses, which he wore across the top of his head, mics pointing up. That way the sound flows over them, rather than at them. He kept fairly still the whole show and didn't move around. Fascinating to watch, you really have to be dedicated to do this. If it works out, I'll have a recording from almost exactly my vantage point.
No great surprises in the setlist, Bob and the guys looked happy, but I'm sure they're tired coming to the end of the tour leg. Cant help but think the choice of Forever Young at the end was a tribute of sorts to George Best. The coverage of George's slow death over the last few weeks in these islands would have intrigued Bob, I'm sure.
This tapers version is being torrented here, I cant wait to hear it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

JOHN PRINE 3/3 RIGHT HERE AT THE TENNESSEE THEATRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

color me stoked.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone seen Chris Difford live? He's coming to our local watering hole at the end of March and I was thinking about getting tickets. I've really enjoyed Glenn Tilbrook the times I've seen him, but imagine Difford's shows are a bit different.

http://www.townecrier.com/acts/difford.htm
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

He and his band supported Costello at Hammersmith on the WIWC tour. Not bad for a support band, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see him again. Played a mix of Squeeze and new stuff. The band didn't have a drummer for some reason, which was a bit strange.

I have tickets to see The Rakes in a couple of weeks, and The Levellers and Tilbrook both in Feb
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

to repeat: JOHN PRINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe I'll get better pictures this time. :oops:
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

b b b b but that picture is awesome!!
echos myron like a siren
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:He and his band supported Costello at Hammersmith on the WIWC tour. Not bad for a support band, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see him again.
Hmm, wouldn't really be going out of my way - it's literally a three-minute drive from our mini-chateau. Would also be a nice evening out with the wife (yummy Mexican food at the Crier) before she and my daughter take off to France for Spring Break. I get a week alone with Mr. Fussy Pants. :shock:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick