Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Mr. Foyle,

Let me know how that Cropper album is.. I didn't even know it was available on CD!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

BlueChair wrote:Mr. Foyle,

Let me know how that Cropper album is.. I didn't even know it was available on CD!
Here are some details
http://www.jazzmusicnet.com/With_a_Litt ... 00ZKL.html

-the other Mr. Foyle
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

chair, the steve cropper album is totally worth it! it includes rare instrumental interpretations of classic songs........

mr foley, tyrone davis is one of my favourite soul singers.....his version of can i change my mind is one of my fave songs ever!!!!!!!!
i´d love to hear Elvis sing this song........really mellow stuff!!!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Steve Cropper `n Tyrone Davis have been a perfect antidote for a very cold day here in Dublin. Their brassy , soulful vibe have really warmed me up as I`ve spent the day tidying up an accumulation of papers , magazines etc. The fact that they were totally new to me also had me delighted , glad as I am to hear fresh sounds.

Getting them was a by-product of my joy at finally getting the early CCR stuff ; I just felt I had to get something else in the place I got it , the fab. City Discs in Temple Bar , Dublin.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Today, picked up:

Ry Cooder - Borderline
Crystal Method - Legion of Boom
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

If you want to add a jazz masterpeice to your collection, but with so many albums and so little time, you aren't sure where to start...

Very safe choices are:
1. Dave Brubeck "Time Out"
2. Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
3. John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman (some complain this fits more into an easy listening category, with silky smooth vocals of Johnnie Hartman together with Coltrane restrained).
4. John Coltrane "Blue Train" (Thanks, Noise)
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

well, once again i was payed and went with cd's and cigarettes this is what i bought:

the strokes-room on fire
fountains of wayne-welcome interstate managers
the thrills-so much for the city
bruce springsteen-the essential
bob dylan-blonde on blonde remastered
neil young-harvest moon
elvis costello-extreme honey
the jayhawks-live from the womens club-if you haven't heard them you need to get one of their albums
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan
The Makers - Rock Star God
Hot Hot Heat - Make Up the Breakdown
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Yay Pip! You got the Makers CD! I'm very anxious to hear what you think of it. Jamie, the lead guitarist, is one of my best friends. He and I used to play in a band together in the late 80s, early 90s. He's a phonomenal talent and a really nice guy.

Yesterday I bought Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde in the new remasters versions. The sound is unbelievable.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

The End of the Rainbow - Richard and Linda Thompson
The Sweetest Punch - Bill Frissell
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Pophead, I really like it! Its a really fun album. I just got it a few days ago but Ive been listening to it a lot since then.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Let's see....

Got Beck's Odelay
Concrete Blond's Mexican Moon..I think that's what it's called
and the Songs in the Key of X for the EC pile...

Did look for other stuff, but nothing screamed at me.....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

uselessbeauty? wrote: the jayhawks-live from the womens club-if you haven't heard them you need to get one of their albums
Seein' them live tomorrow night. I haven't even heard of that album and was not aware they had a live album. Or is that a bootleg?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Got Something Else by the Kinks and Muswell Hillbillies. I must say both, while quite different, are really brilliant records. From everything I've heard so far, you can't go wrong with a Kinks record from "Face to Face" to "Muswell Hillbillies." Every one is fantastic. The later stuff might be crap, and the earlier stuff is spotty, but with killer singles throughout. But te albums in that era are all classics. (Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Loa v. Powerman and the Moneygoround, and Muswell HIllbillies).
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

noiseradio wrote:Got Something Else by the Kinks and Muswell Hillbillies. I must say both, while quite different, are really brilliant records. From everything I've heard so far, you can't go wrong with a Kinks record from "Face to Face" to "Muswell Hillbillies." Every one is fantastic. The later stuff might be crap, and the earlier stuff is spotty, but with killer singles throughout. But te albums in that era are all classics. (Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Loa v. Powerman and the Moneygoround, and Muswell HIllbillies).
I made RedShoes a 2CD Kinks retrospective, and it proved a daunting task. It's easy enough to pick the good songs out from the first few albums, and even easier for much of the 70's and 80's material, but you kind of feel like including entire albums from the 1967-1970 period before you remember it is a compilation. In the end, I had about 45 tracks on two 75 minute discs.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Exactly. So many sleepers on those albums.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

One of my bands is currently working on covering Muswell Hillbillies from start to finish for a show in March. Fun stuff to work on, and I never get sick of them.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Wish I was going to be in New Orleans in March. That would be fun.
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Tonights purchases:

1. Pretenders. First Album. This stands the test of time. A great record that I wore out on vinyl too many times to remember. Chrissie from Akron, OH (my home state and the state town that gave us Devo) paved the way for other very hot acts to follow during this period of "New wave" music. It is as fresh today as it was then, at least for me.

2. Nilsson. Schmilsson. What a great record. Same story as above re: wearing out the vinyl. Couldn't live without.

3. Earl Klugh. Heartstring. Pure gravelling music. My wife loves it. Not to be mistaken for the Kenny G variety of pop jazz. This is fine jazz guitar with a subtle pop influence and a late night, bedroom feel. Works everytime. Again, a stock item to follow the two vinyl versions that are worn.

4. Elvis Costello. Trust Reissue. I have the original Trust only on vinyl, so this is quite a thrill for me.

5. Pat Metheny. Late Night Guitar. If you don't know Pat, and you should.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

happiest of ears this morning. Got Nick Lowe's Jesus of Cool in the mail. Thank you Hepcat Records.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and I'm now into hour 6 with Jesus. I heard they castrated Castro, I heard they cut off everything he had...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I say ooh la...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

did the full Nick retrospective yesterday, at least as much as I can. Crow, do you have NL and His Cowboy Outfit? I'm searching desperately for this and Rose of England.

yesterday's mail brought the ATUB and BY reissues which are new to me, so I am savoring the anticipation. Also Freaky-Styley by RHCP, which are (is?) my new embarassing obsession. I started with By the Way, and am working backwards--a very cool de-evolution.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I do indeed have Cowboy, but tis in my daddy dearest's collection...don't have Rose of England.

They're both ltd availability on amazon.co.uk, but are available on http://www.gemm.com second hand (at the mo, Rose is only available as LP or cassette, but it'll turn up on there)! I have used this site before and reccomend it.

http://www.gemm.com/c/search.pl?sid=366 ... &Go%21.y=6

I picked up Blue's reccomended Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks 'Beatin' the Heat'.....sounds good!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Got the new AIR album , Talkie Walkie . I feel so absolutely relevant and happening to actually have an album with a copyright date of 2004 . Haven`t listened to it yet, though I`ve liked what I`ve heard in advance plays on the radio .

One thing that has annoyed me about the many print features on the duo that are AIR has been the way that they have adopted that all too common pose of pissing all over their last album ( the fabulous 10,000hz Legend ). Don`t they , along with the many others who do it , realise how insulting that is ? The subtext is that , hey , we fooled you into buying a lot of crap last time by saying how great it is - this time , though , we really mean it.

I also got Stoned Soul Picnic -
see http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 61-6935063

a WEA compilation of `illicit grooves from the Atlantic and Warner vaults` . Roy Ayers , Nat Adderley , Gary Burton , The Duke Pearson Nonet, Don Cherry .....and so on. Nice.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

thanks, crow.

saturday's mail brought the Vandals Peace thru Vandalism, which also included When in Rome Do as the Vandals Do--both loud and raucous and funny. How can you not love a song titled Anarchy Burger (Hold the Government)? so now I am absolutely broke and stealing the kids' lunch money to buy lottery tickets.