What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The Feelies - The Good Earth

This and Only Life were both superb albums. A criminally forgotten band. Think they were signed to Stiff at one point.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Sufjan Stevens - Greetings from Michigan the Great Lakes State

That and Steven's Illinois are fantastic records that I just keep spinning and spinning and spinning. Back me up, Blue Chair.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Talking Heads - "Pulled Up"

Their early work had such tremendous energy and humor.

"There's really no hurry - I'll eat in a while"
And that's one of the best on 1977. Great stuff. I have the fabulous Once In A Lifetime box set. Humongous and beautiful. A friend commented 'you'll need to build a special shelf to house it!' and although I stiopped short of getting a saw out, it does have to sit in a unique and special place atop my CD racks. One thing I must get that I don't really know at all is The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads.
Speaking of the Talking Heads, they will be releasing their eight studio albums, with a bunch of additional material, in DualDisc format, packaged in a "Brick" that looks like this:

Here's the Billboard story:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... 1001020631
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It looks like styrofoam... nice artistic statement.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yep, looks like the stuff they use to ship wine. Still, I've been holding off on getting the Heads' studio albums on CD, so I may spring for a few of the DualDisc versions once they become available individually.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Wouldn't you want the extras?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:Wouldn't you want the extras?
Yes, I think they'll be part of the re-issues. But I'm not sure that I want all eight of the albums, so I may wait until the DualDiscs become available individually, rather than buying the "styrofoam" cube.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Wow - so they will include the DVD content included in the cube in their reissues?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yes, that's my understanding, according to this, from a TH fan site:

Don't Worry About the DualDiscs
Posted Friday, 2 September, 2005 by francey

The eight individual DualDiscs in the upcoming Talking Heads "Brick" boxset will be available separately in January 2006, at least in the US (first four at the beginning of the month, second four at the end of the month).

The "brick" is meant to be an introductory piece to announce the arrival of the remastered discs.

Despite the fabulous list of bonus material included on the DualDiscs, there is more uncollected/unreleased material left in the vaults. The reason the reissues are not more "complete" is that unlike a standard CD which can contain up to 80 minutes of music, a DualDisc only holds 60 minutes. So there was simply no room to include more material.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It might have been better to include the stuff from the vaults on the reissues, then separate video DVDs like Queen's excellent ones (suppose it might depend on the amount and nature of the material, of which I'm not an expert). It's good to have a lot of DVD material in one spot though I can do without watching the Hot Space videos in a hurry. And TH's creativity is considered spotty, so i couldn't blame you for avoiding True Stories. But would you recommend it to a novice? So far I have Fear Of Music and Stop Making Sense.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:It might have been better to include the stuff from the vaults on the reissues, then separate video DVDs like Queen's excellent ones (suppose it might depend on the amount and nature of the material, of which I'm not an expert). It's good to have a lot of DVD material in one spot though I can do without watching the Hot Space videos in a hurry. And TH's creativity is considered spotty, so i couldn't blame you for avoiding True Stories. But would you recommend it to a novice? So far I have Fear Of Music and Stop Making Sense.
Those are both great. I'd try '77 and Remain In Light next.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Been meaning to get Remain In Light, thanks. Some people just speak of their career glowingly... and this has probably been discussed before, but is there a lot of their material that can probably be done without?

Byrne's Your Action World book looks good.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:Been meaning to get Remain In Light, thanks. Some people just speak of their career glowingly... and this has probably been discussed before, but is there a lot of their material that can probably be done without?
I'm not wild about True Stories or Little Creatures, though both have their moments. I do like Naked, their final album. All of their other stuff is top notch IMO.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thank, Sam. Some of the recommendations for their biography, This Must Be The Place, aren't too flattering... the consensus seems to be go and buy the music instead.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Like the look of that box! Very into the box thing after getting The Fall BBC box. To be honest, I would recommend a TH novice to go at it chronologically. More Songs is overlooked above (other than in the 'all their others' comment), but it has fantastic stuff. All of their LPs have something to recommend them. I'm rather partial to True Stories, but that's partly nostalgia for playing it loads in Berlin and seeing the film 3 or so times (I loved it!). Naked for me is the patchiest. The above-referred OIAL compilation (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846 - hilarious for two condemnations mainly of packaging and a bunch of 5-stars) contains pretty well all my faves, but I kinda miss not having the full LPs. Good reason to get the vinyl out.

If I had to do a Tower of Heads, it would go like this (with a somewhat less obvious personal favourite off each indicated):

1. Fear of Music (Heaven)
2. Remain In Light (Listening Wind)
3. More Songs About Buildings and Food (Warning Sign)
4. '77 (Don't Worry About The Gov't)
5. Speaking In Tongues (This Must Be The Place - OK, that's obvious)
6. Little Creatures (Creatures of Love)
7. True Stories (People Like Us)
8. Naked (Blind)

Very hard to limit myself to one off each!

And of course Stop Making Sense on DVD is a must-have. It still makes my jaw drop.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I didn't mean to give More Songs short shrift. It is a great album. It's really hard to choose a single track from each (so many great ones), but mine would probably go something like this:

1. Remain In Light - Crosseyed And Painless
2. '77 - Pulled Up
3. Fear Of Music - Cities
4. More Songs About Buildings And Food - Found A Job
5. Speaking In Tongues - This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
6. Naked - (Nothing But) Flowers
7. Little Creatures - The Lady Don't Mind
8. True Stories - City Of Dreams

Stop Making Sense is quite possibly my favorite live concert movie/DVD of all time. Just great fun. I remember watching it with my mother, who knew nothing about the Talking Heads, and she was just mesmerized. "What A Day That Was" is a great track from that album/DVD that does not appear on any of the studio discs.

It would have been nice if they had seen fit to include The Name Of This Band... in the box set.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:"What A Day That Was" is a great track from that album/DVD that does not appear on any of the studio discs.
Not any Heads ones, but yes on The Catherine Wheel. Presumably a fan such as you has this and just mean TH LPs proper. If not, you need it! I see there's an expanded CD with many more tracks than the vinyl original I have. I wonder if that's worth having.
Who Shot Sam? wrote:It would have been nice if they had seen fit to include The Name Of This Band... in the box set.
Indeed, though the 'Storytelling Giant' DVD with all the song videos is a nice inclusion. I assume from it having a name that it was released in its own right.

Love your song selection, all of which are favourites of mine too. And isn't The Big Country one of the best songs ever written about the US? I knew someone who saw them at the Birmingham Odeon on the tour at the time and said this was just epic and brilliant live.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not any Heads ones, but yes on The Catherine Wheel. Presumably a fan such as you has this and just mean TH LPs proper. If not, you need it! I see there's an expanded CD with many more tracks than the vinyl original I have. I wonder if that's worth having.
I only ever had that on cassette, long since lost. I wouldn't consider it a true TH LP. Great tune though.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Love your song selection, all of which are favourites of mine too. And isn't The Big Country one of the best songs ever written about the US? I knew someone who saw them at the Birmingham Odeon on the tour at the time and said this was just epic and brilliant live.
Yes, I love that song. For some reason I had put my TH stuff away for a good long time, but listening to them again now is giving me an appetite for more.
verena

Post by verena »

Declan Galbraith – Walking in the air

It’s in a double cd named “Christmas Hits”, which I unearthed cause I was looking for something. Every time I listen to this song I have to play it again. It is just marvellous.

First time I heard it was during a Xmas week end, there I was with a bunch of people, all kinda busy doing nothing special. When this song came on, after like five odd seconds or so everyone went still and looked up, transfixed.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thanks for the TH towers and further novice advice.

The Triffids - Stockholm
Nick Cave - Murder Ballads
Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I only ever had that on cassette, long since lost. I wouldn't consider it a true TH LP. Great tune though.
No, not at all, very much a DB project, in conjunction with Twyla Tharp. I love the drumming on the open track, whatever that was called. Worth getting a new CD of, I'd say.
verena

Post by verena »

I don't know your songs, Bamboo. Your skills are beyond me, musically. Strangely now it makes me feel out of place. Never mind.

Serge gainsbourg - "Harley David(son of a bitch)"

Yeah it's an album (I guess). Digitardly remastered, sadly.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

"Digitard." Now there's a great invented word! I'm adopting it from now on, e.g., I want to hook up my new printer but I'm such a digitard I don't know where to start.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:"Digitard." Now there's a great invented word! I'm adopting it from now on, e.g., I want to hook up my new printer but I'm such a digitard I don't know where to start.
:D

Even better if you do it with a thick Boston accent - digitaahhd!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hadn't listened to this in ages.

"Venus In Furs", "All Tomorrow's Parties"...

Top notch.