Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Watched "Pirates of the Caribbean" last night with the wife. Surprisingly good entertainment, even with the ridiculous story line and the skeleton-crew pirate ship. Plenty of scenery chewing, but it works in this kind of picture. Johnny Depp looks like he had a lot of fun with that role - sort of a pirate version of Keith Richards.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Watched "Memento" (again) last night......Cool flick, although I think it convinced my inlaws that there really IS something wrong with me...haha ;)
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Memento is a favorite, albeit quite misunderstood. Played chronologically, the story would be interesting and mildly compelling. But the device used to construct this film works beautifully to potentiate the story, and the investment, in the film. It is a film with a pay-off, although the reward is gray...and the black and white world of 'popular' cinema, it is refreshing to have allow a film to be rife with ambiguity even after multiple viewings.

There is an old saying: "If you are going to be a good liar, you better have a very, very good memory". Tagline for Memento.

Watching MIB (I) this morning, and everytime I watch it I enjoy the screenplay, and Tommy Lee Jones, more and more. I giggle through it like I am seeing if for the first time.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Johnny Depp looks like he had a lot of fun with that role - sort of a pirate version of Keith Richards.
Which JD publicly acknowledged. It's great fun, I enjoyed it immensely.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Johnny Depp looks like he had a lot of fun with that role - sort of a pirate version of Keith Richards.
And they are currently making not one, but two (!!) sequels... which is why Gore Verbinski declined to make Ring 2 (which was a good thing as it turned out... because they ended up giving that job to the original Japanese Ringu director/writer Hideo Nakata).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Really? Damn am I perceptive!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Mr. Average wrote:Watching MIB (I) this morning, and everytime I watch it I enjoy the screenplay, and Tommy Lee Jones, more and more. I giggle through it like I am seeing if for the first time.
Did you like the Jewish alien? Wasn't he awesome?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

My son and I adore MIB-- there are just so many hilarious touches, and the dialogue and the visuals are both top notch. I'm sure I've seen it twenty times, and I'm still not sick of it.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Memorable Quotes from Men in Black (1997):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kay: I want you on the next transport off this rock or I'm gonna shoot you where it don't grow back.
(To Jack Jeebs, who has just had his head blown off, retorting: "Do you have any idea how much that STINGS!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zed: We're not hosting an intergalactic kegger down here.

[to candidates rejected as MIB agents]
Zed: Gentlemen, congratulations. You're everything we've come to expect from years of government training.

Zed: You'll dress only in attire specially sanctioned by MiB special services. You'll conform to the identity we give you, eat where we tell you, live where we tell you. From now on you'll have no identifying marks of any kind. You'll not stand out in any way. Your entire image is crafted to leave no lasting memory with anyone you encounter. You're a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist; you were never even born. Anonymity is your name. Silence your native tongue. You're no longer part of the System. You're above the System. Over it. Beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Black.

Jay: Why the big secret? People are smart, they can handle it.
Kay: A *person* is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

Kay: Today there are approximately 1500 aliens living and working in Manhattan and most of them are decent enough, they're just trying to make a living.
Jay: Cab drivers?
Kay: Not as many as you'd think.

Elle: Hey Jay! Zed called. The high consulate from Zalaxia 9 wants floor seats for the next Bulls game.
Jay: OK, let's put in a call to Dennis Rodman, he's from that planet.
Elle: Rodman? You're kidding... Not much of a disguise.

Jay: You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beatrice: You here to make fun of me too?
Kay: No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

[J has just jumped from a bridge onto a tour bus]
Jay: It just be raining black people in New York.

Jay: You do know Elvis is dead, right?
Kay: No, Elvis is not dead. He just went home.

Kay: You sold a reverberating carbonizer with mutate capacity to an unlicensed cephalopoid, Jeebs, you piece of shit.
Jeebs: He looked all right to me.

Kay: I've just been down the gullet of an interstellar cockroach. That's one of a hundred memories I don't want.

Kay: Imagine a giant cockroach, with unlimited strength, a massive inferiority complex, and a real short temper, is tear-assing around Manhattan Island in a brand-new Edgar suit. That sound like fun?

Jay: Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise 'round in a Ford P.O.S.

Jay: You know what they say. It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Kay: Try it.

Jay: Alright, I'm in. 'Cause there's some next level shit going on and I'm OK with that. But before y'all go beaming me up there's one thing you gotta remember: you chose me so you recognized the skills, so I don't want you to call me sport, kid, or anything like that. You got me?
Kay: Okay, slick. But let me tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely... dick.

Kay: I don't suppose you know what kind of alien life form leaves a green spectral trail and craves sugar water, do you?
Jay: Aw that was on Final Jeopardy last night. Come on what did Alex say?
Kay: Zed, we got a bug.

Jay: Gonna get your gun back?
Kay: I like this gun.

Beatrice: Edgar, what on earth was that?
Edgar: Sugar.
Beatrice: I've never seen sugar do that.

Kay: See ya around, Jay.
Jay: No, you won't.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Finally saw Scorsese's The Aviator. I liked the early intensity of it and if it had remained I may have prefered it to Million Dollar Baby (I liked Ray best of the three). How much more style, and how exciting (hey, see the planes fly?!). The brown and blue hues and the period recreation details-- decors, clothes, mannerisms... were great. Also, Leonardo is fully redeemed now, his forehead work proof of far surpassing his former woodenness. It was around when Katherine Hepburn (Blanchet, very good though pretty caricature-ish) had to go that it started to flag a bit for me. It laboured around the deal making stuff a bit much without real suspense for the rest of the film, especially considering that it was pretty long (forehead must have been getting tired...). It also led me to expect more emphasis on the delusional aspect of Hughes to come or at least more drama with it. I really wanted to see something more extreme. So Scorsese seemed to compromise with the second half. Very good performances also though by Kate Beckinsdale (Ava Gardner, exceedingly hot) and Alan Alda. Baldwin didn't really get a chance to do much.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Today I saw Familia rodante ( Rolling Family ) , an Argentinian film. It was totally engrossing , full of detail, beautifully paced etc. Check it out , if you can.

Here's the IFI synopsis ,

http://www.ifi.ie/cinema/dispfilm.asp?filmID=4622

Director Pablo Trapero became a leading figure of the ‘New Argentine Cinema’ with his first two features, Mundo grúa and El bonaerense. With Familia rodante, Trapero has made a much more personal and lighter film, but without any loss of style or substance. Based on anecdotes from his family and circle of friends, the film is both a droll road movie and a colourful family drama. A large family group sets off on a long journey by camper to a wedding. Between starting point in Buenos Aires and destination Misiones, all the fury, sorrow and warmth in four generations come to the surface. There are moments of comedy, romance and real anguish, and Trapero punctuates it with stunning images of the changing landscape and cultural details of communities along the road.

see also
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359254/

Phew , an art exhibit and a foreign movie in one day - I need to watch some trashy telly - good thing 24 is on tonight!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I saw "Hostage" last evening.

Great titles.

Nothing else. I did experience two cycles of REM sleep during the movie, so I did get something out of it. Some rest.

Imagine a mildly compelling story line where all of the interconnecting threads have been frayed and cut, leaving something akin to storyline that has the cohesion of a game of pick-up sticks cast into a level 5 twister.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw "Off The Map". It was a beautiful film. Makes you want to move to Taos and live a simple existence. This is a movie that sticks with you after you leave the theatre. A good movie should make life 'that much better' for having seen it. This is that kind of movie. If you liked the movies "The Station Agent" and "In America" you will like this one, too.

The young actress, Valentina de Angelis, is 'one' to watch.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

I finally got to see Traffic, on the telly! Fantastic film. Never saw the TV series. Great acting, great directing, deft editing, great use of colour, commendable stance, managed to not get corny in the expected way ver the drug tsar with smackhead daughter line. And tonight I'll be rewatching Wonder Boys, another dose of Michael Douglas delivering big time.

Some good films on this week. Apart from the above, Ring and Ring 2 are one. Cue Tim(e) [or anyone else!] for the low-down. I'd never even heard of it nor the American remake, but it sounds brilliant. 'Genuinely creepy' is the Guardian's description. I can't think of anything I'd rather be watching between 12.10 and 2.00am two nights running than a creepy Japanese film. Thank God I'm off work all week and can indulge in this without having to tape it and then never getting round to watching it.

Gonna see Robots later this week. Sounds great.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I liked Ring a lot.
There's no blood, no gore, but the whole atmosphere is so disturbing and the tension so high it makes you hold your breath in horror.
I suppose there are some cultural references which European/American viewers may not get, but this otherness only adds to the unsettling feeling.

I also recommend another of recent Japanese horrors - Dark Water.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

i just got the tim robbins film BOB ROBERTS and it was amaxing and eerie at the same time. Robbins does a fine job in playing a right-wing radical version of Bob Dylan (His albums are titled Times are changing back and Bob on Bob) who runs for senator of pennsylvania against a the incumbent played by Gore Vidal. This is a great political mockumentary that frightens because it rings true into the past election and the candidates efforts in creating the winning image. Robbins wrote and directed the film as well as co-wrote the songs with his brother. a young jack black plays a roberts follower with his name on his forehead. its probably one of the best political films ever, i think even better than last year's Silver City and Farenheit 911.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

invisible Pole wrote:I also recommend another of recent Japanese horrors - Dark Water.
Yes, that is another Hideo Nakata (Ringu) film and is very good.

I watched a Japanese film "Cha no Aji" (Taste of Tea) made by the director Katsuhito Ishii who was also responsible for "Sharkskin Man, Peach Hip Girl" and "Party 7", as well as assisiting Tarantino with the anime segment in Kill Bill Vol 1. This is a very gentle tale of a family of eccentrics living in the countryside and I suppose if I were going to compare it with anything, it would have to be "Big Fish".
Otis Westinghouse

invisible Pole wrote:I liked Ring a lot.
There's no blood, no gore, but the whole atmosphere is so disturbing and the tension so high it makes you hold your breath in horror.
I suppose there are some cultural references which European/American viewers may not get, but this otherness only adds to the unsettling feeling.
Brilliant! Have two nights running of breath-holding to look forward to!

I see Ring 2 US ed. is being heavily advertised here. Bet it's nowhere near as good.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I see Ring 2 US ed. is being heavily advertised here. Bet it's nowhere near as good.
The US Ring 2 uses the same director as the original Japanese Ringu and Ringu 2 (Hideo Nakata) - Verbinski was committed to two sequels to Pirates of the Carribean.

The Japanese Ring 2 was no where near as good a film as the original Ring and although I understand that the storyline has been changed quite a bit for the US version of Ring 2, I still would not hold high hopes for it being a great film.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Saw Melinda and Melinda last evening, a Woody Alen experiment of sorts.

The formula is intact, but it doesn't play out as well as it has in the past. Sort of the "Broadway Danny Rose" paradigm is employed to run parallel narratives about the same character...one writing her as a tragic figure and teh other as a comedic vehicle.

The story becomes confusing with the seemingly incoherent overlaps (they will make perfect sense to smart cinema guys like Bobster, but for me, it was a struggle to stick with the dripping drama whilst the narratives flipped back and forth).

Two main comments:
1. The lead character, Melinda, works hard to capture the essence of what Woody has always been seeking in the likes of Diane Keaton, Mia Farrow, and others, but when she really needs to dig down deep to pull out the scene, there isn't enough in her bag of tricks to pull it off. It is a difficult comment to write, because she is clearly a gifted and talented actor, but in a Woody Allen vehicle, if you have a flaw, chances are high it will be exposed and brought to the foreground.

2. Very disappointed in Will Farrell. For all of the wrong reasons. Clearly, Woody see's something more substantive in Will Farrell or he would not have accepted him in Juliet Taylors casting. The problem I had with Farrell is he is the surrogate Woody...playing the sad sack roll that Woody played himself in his younger years. Quite a daunting task, for sure. But when Will delivers a Woody line, he delivers it "like" Woody would deliver it...not like Will Farrell would deliver it. You can even hear the Woody intonation in the delivery, and are struck with the image of Woody rehearsing it with Will a few times, then stepping just out of camera range, then having Will do it almost exactly as Woody had.

I know dick about real film analysis. But I do know what I like about Woody Allen films, and this one falls short in almost all departments for me.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just watched "E.T." with my daughter - the first time I'd seen it since it came out and the first time she's ever seen it. I can remember going down to the Roxy in Glendale, California with my mom and sister all those years ago. What a terrific movie - Spielberg tugging at the old heart-strings. Had me near tears. I love all the raw edges in it - kids being kids, cursing, playing Dungeons & Dragons. And an EC reference I never caught before - Elliott's older brother singing "Accidents Will Happen" to himself when he comes home from school near the beginning of the picture.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Me and the buddy I saw it with just about experienced an aneurism with that. We knew that would be EC's biggest exposure in the State to that date...and, come to think of it, probably since. Shame the whole point of the scene was the he was ordinary kid who couldn't sing!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bobster wrote:Me and the buddy I saw it with just about experienced an aneurism with that. We knew that would be EC's biggest exposure in the State to that date...and, come to think of it, probably since. Shame the whole point of the scene was the he was ordinary kid who couldn't sing!
Later in the movie he's wearing a "No Nukes" t-shirt. Ah, the good old days!

I'd forgotten about all of the (welcome) profanity in the movie - Elliott calling his brother "penis breath" at the dinner table takes the cake. If the movie were made today that would have all been scrubbed out by some studio suit.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I saw "Sin City" last evening.

First, the Tarantino directed sequence is obvious, and has his signature all over it.

The film is absolutely beautifully done. The best use of black and white since there was no choice but to use black and white (includes Woody's films). Extremely violent, but that should not surprise anyone.

I especially like the way the willis, del toro, rourke, and the females all have been augmented with lines, curves, scars, cuts, cleavages, cracks, crevices, grooves...all positioning the living actors as a caricature, an exaggerated image to match the drawings.

The story is sometimes gives way tot he absurdity of the violence, but again, that is all part of the genre. This is NOT the modern equivalent of Pulp Fiction. But it is also not something that you have ever seen before. Closest second is Tim Burtons dark, surreal work, but this sets an entirely new standard. At first, I thought the brilliant color contrast against the black and white and grey milieu was a simple extension of the Gatorade commercials, and I was underwhelmed. But within mintes, the whole thing veers wildly onto a differnt course of unigue film making.

This is really fun. If you liked any of Quentin's other films (save Jackie Brown) you will enjoy this. I am not familiar enough with the Rodriguez catalog to comment further, thoug I though "Desparado" was a very clever spoof that fooled losts of action-adventure movie-goers who crave the over-the-top material within that film.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just went past the local VideoEzy and found some $2 bargains...

I handpicked:

Diane Keaton's Heaven
The Omega Connection
Kansas Pacific
The Only Game In Town...
Husbands And Wives
Curtains

I'll tell about 'em later...