New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

It's here already, Otis, nice to see he paid tribute to Link Wray. Look forward to seeing him here this saturday.
Jimmie Dale Gilmore played a sublime set at Whelans tonight. Great songs and storytelling, a soulfull reading of Four Walls a highlight.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Only £15 for circle standing. Great Expectations live, eh Mugster?

It will have to be an early Christmas present... not great timing, but then again I've decided not to go see Lloyd cos Leicester sold out and I didn't fancy the London one, so I kinda owe it to myself.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Ta, Martin, was about to see if it was there (it wasn't when I sat down). Didn't know God Knows at all, nor do I really know Man In The Long Black Coat. That Link Wray bit was very short, you've got to know your Wray to spot that! You'll love it. Shame it's not somewhere in Dublin the size of Brixton. Spoke to a guy who saw Costello supporting Dylan in Kilkenny in 2002. Some night out, eh?

It's Alright Ma was hilariously unrecognisable for about 30 secs. Sounded very much like a groove from Love and Theft (which I have to say I've been getting into playing it some more in prep for this gig, and the feel of the band is very similar - seriously hot, you won't be disappointed).
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Last nights Bob show is being torrented here. From the samples it sounds good.
Spoke to a guy who saw Costello supporting Dylan in Kilkenny in 2002. Some night out, eh?
That it was, a great evening. Elvis and the lads took a break from the WIWC sessions and played a blinder, while Bob clearly enjoyed himself with Ron Wood guesting. Bob even mingled in the crowd afterwards, something he rarely does.
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, nice and quick. Haven't seen any from the other English gigs, so did wonder, but it's great to know it's there. Will be downloading pronto and sharing with the lads I went with.

Good to hear you made the Kilkenny event. Sounds fantastic.

Have gone gig crazy! On Mug's sound advice, reciprocating my encouragement to buy Leaders of the Free World, I'm going to see Elbow at Brixton on Friday. I'm sure it's going to be gobsmacking. Would have kicked myself if I'd failed. Up in the circle.

My 12, nearly 13 year old son is getting a bit jealous, so looked for possible gigs with his fave bands, and this led to finding 2 x Franz Ferdinand tickets at the Ally Pally on Dec 1. Would have been £63 via a regular source, but did well in a to-the-death auction on eBay and got them for £52.

This almost makes up for failing to go and see Lloyd Cole this week.
Otis Westinghouse

Dylan has varied his set over the three Brixton nights to a degree that few others could match. A huge thrill for the lucky souls going on several nights:

Mon:

1. Rumble (insturmental song by Link Wray) (incomplete)
2. Maggie's Farm
3. The Times They Are A-Changin'
4. Million Dollar Bash
5. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
6. Moonlight
7. Down Along The Cove
8. Boots Of Spanish Leather
9. Cold Irons Bound
10. Mr. Tambourine Man
11. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
12. Visions Of Johanna (acoustic)
13. Honest With Me
14. Waiting For You
15. Highway 61 Revisited

(encore)
16. London Calling (incomplete - 1 verse)
17. Like A Rolling Stone
18. All Along The Watchtower

Tues:

2. Maggie's Farm
3. Love Minus Zero/No Limit
4. Lonesome Day Blues
5. Positively 4th Street
6. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
7. Cold Irons Bound
8. Girl Of The North Country (acoustic)
9. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
10. John Brown (acoustic)
11. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
12. Mississippi
13. Highway 61 Revisited
14. Waiting For You
15. Summer Days

(encore)
16. Like A Rolling Stone
17. All Along The Watchtower

Would love to hear the verse of London Calling. The DAD download of Sunday is well good. It made me think how wonderful al the technology is that I can see a gig on Sunday night, and be checking it out on my computer at home come Tues morning. Good sound quality, clear, well-balanced.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Would love to hear the verse of London Calling.
You can get it here

http://www.northcountryblues.com/mp3/london/
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Booked to see The Levellers at the Basingstoke Anvil doing an acoustic tour.
Thinking about seeing Glenn Tilbrook, he plays Aldershot with his band in December or is solo in Reading in Feb, which would be better?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Thanks, Martin. Very nice and immediate way to hear these. Johanna and Boots as well - wonderful!

Tonight's set:

2. Maggie's Farm
3. She Belongs To Me
4. Cry A While
5. Shelter From The Storm
6. Down Along The Cove
7. Positively 4th Street
8. High Water (For Charley Patton)
9. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
10. Million Miles
11. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
12. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
13. Honest With Me
14. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll (acoustic)
15. Summer Days

(encore)
15. Blue Monday (song by Fats Domino & Dave Bartholomew)
16. Like A Rolling Stone
17. All Along The Watchtower

Would love to hear Shelter From The Storm. Thought at first that 15 was a New Order cover!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sounds like Dylan is giving London their money's worth with these shows!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

So Lacklustre wrote:
Booked to see The Levellers at the Basingstoke Anvil doing an acoustic tour.
Did you get your tickets for the Alvin Stardust Christmas show at the same venue?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Shhhhhhh
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Elbow at Brixton Academy: fantastic. I knew they were going to be good, and they delivered big time. Guy Garvey is an entertaining character, waviung a walking stick around, taking a poll on how many people thought he needed it (4) and accepting the rest of the crowd saying he didn't. He said he did a little - I hope he's looking after hinself, he's got some brilliant music still to make. Three LPs in, and already the songlist is compelling. Everything off the new LP worked perfectly live, especially the barnstorming title track, and Mexican Standoff. And the earlier classics - Powder Blue, an awesome Newborn building to a huge crescendo, Fugitive Motel, Switching Off, Grace Under Pressure - were top too. Downside: sitting in the balcony, grrrr. I want to stand in the stalls! Cold draught blowing up the stairs and up my back all evening, too much talking, and idiots leaving songs in the middle deciding they've had enough. Actually, this only happened during the best song ever, Great Expectations, a row of Chinese people who obviously had come to the wrong place, just as it was building to its climax.

Guy Garvey's brother Marcus (I kid you not) was there at the very back of the balcony, and we all sang happy birthday to him. Nice touch.

Highly recommended live, and on record.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:He said he did a little - I hope he's looking after hinself, he's got some brilliant music still to make.
That's interesting. In the Dutch television interview to which I posted a llink a few weeks ago, he talked about how soul-destroying drugs (cocaine in particular) are.

I agree - he's a brilliant songwriter and vocalist. I am really looking forward to getting this.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

You get the impression he's rather keen on self-poisoning. He loves the fags, writes songs a-plenty about the gargle, makes drug refs. But he did use the walking stick to great effect, somewhat Dickensian, waving it at the audience for theatrical flourish. It was a perfect opening, the LP's opener, Station Approach. Gesturing to the audience on the lines about coming home and with the line you'll find in my sig.

Damn, never got round to checking that interview, I remembered last night, and must. There appears to be no Elbow message board of any sort (maybe a Yahoo lisst, but haven't found one). Which is odd for a band of their stature with by now a pretty big fan base.

Great light show, too. Vertical strip lights at stage level and at the back, used to fantastic effect.

Support act was Mew. Danish. Pretty high-pitched voice, proggy, overly bassy, not as interesting as they seem to think they are:

http://www.mewsite.com/site_fr.html

All this stuff about being surreal, and yet a lot of what they were playing sounded deeply conservative.

One thing that really stood out for me with Elbow live was their inventiveness and just how good they often are rhythmically. The drummer is excellent, and there are some lovely things where really quite unexpected drum patterns throw things that little bit off kilter, e.g. Red. SO much of the modern indie-ish guitar-ish music never seems to deviate from plodding four-square rhythms, whereas Elbow play around a bit more without it seeming contrived. Less so on the new CD, perhaps, where they start to get anthemic with the title track and Forget Myself, and do it brilliantly. It can get a bit worrying when bands decide to 'get overly political', but the anti-Bush anthem Leaders of the Free World does it so well with the 'Passing the gun from father to feckless son' refrain. It draws parallels between modern gun-culture among the dispossessed and the larger scale gun-toting of our trigger happy leaders on both sides of the Atlantic, sorry, pond.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Damn, never got round to checking that interview, I remembered last night, and must.
It's quite a good interview, even if the questions are not brilliant. Definitely worth a few minutes since you're a fan.

You're not alone in feeling the way you do about their sound. Someone on the Hawleyboard was talking about the new Elbow album and Richard said,
Richard Hawley wrote:they are one of the few bands around i really like they have a unique sound i'll be buying it
Otis Westinghouse

Dang, lost the link. Thought it was in the 'listening?' thread, but couldn't locate it. Could you re-post if you still have it? I didn't bookmark.

Found a brief interview here, and quite a nice review of Cast of Thousands:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/music/2 ... ands.shtml

BUT why do they have to diss Doves as part of praising Elbow? I've seen this several times. 'There's only room for one melancholic Manc band, so Doves fuck off.' I like both. Elbow have more subtlety about them, Doves are more danceable, why not allow both? they're clearly mates, this Doves pitchfork interview tells an interesting tale of the high=pitched theremin-like sound on Snowden involving Garvey's voice:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/interviews/d/doves-05/
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Here you go Otis:

http://www.faceculture.nl/elbow2005/index.htm

Agree completely about Doves. I like 'em both.
Otis Westinghouse

That's the one! Ta.

Have to share a final Elbow moment. When they started Newborn, he said 'Why don't you start it off?', and counted us in. With a bit of work to get the pitch right and get us suitably enthused, we sang out quite powerfully 'I'll be the corpse in your bathtub'. Can you imagine a more hilarious thing to sing jovially en masse?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Great Bob show tonight.
http://my.execpc.com/%7ebillp61/112605s.html
A very focussed, tight band sound and Bobs voice was in good shape. I was standing by a taper, and we were both straight in front of the right speaker stack. The sound was great so I'm sure it'll come out good. He had his microphones taped to the side of his sunglasses, which he wore across the top of his head, mics pointing up. That way the sound flows over them, rather than at them. He kept fairly still the whole show and didn't move around. Fascinating to watch, you really have to be dedicated to do this. If it works out, I'll have a recording from almost exactly my vantage point.
No great surprises in the setlist, Bob and the guys looked happy, but I'm sure they're tired coming to the end of the tour leg. Cant help but think the choice of Forever Young at the end was a tribute of sorts to George Best. The coverage of George's slow death over the last few weeks in these islands would have intrigued Bob, I'm sure.
Next up: the divine Tift Merritt on tuesday, hope there's more than 20 people there.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds great, and the immortal Forever Young! Trust it's on Dimeadozen soon! Great details about the taper.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bettye LaVette. Absolutely incredible. One of the most powerful voices I've ever heard, and in such a small venue... man oh man. You all need to heed Elvis' call and check out her Joe Henry-produced album I've Got My Own Hell To Raise if you haven't already.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:Thinking about seeing Glenn Tilbrook, he plays Aldershot with his band in December or is solo in Reading in Feb, which would be better?
Good question. I've not seen Glenn playing with the Fluffers. I was going to go to see them in Dartford in December but my mate's 40th birthday has put a stop to that. He's playing at the Jazz Cafe in March so I might go to that instead.

Solo I can guarantee he will be good and spontaneous. I'm not sure what the Fluffers show will be like.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The Fluffers? The Fluffers?!

Odd name for a band.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I know - it's a great name isn't it (assuming you know what a Fluffer is :wink: )
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?