What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Extreme Honey wrote:The lead singer has a wife, even early in his career, like Elvis.

The real highlights and brainpower of both bands (Coldplay + EC an' the attractions) are the lead singers.
Chariots of the Gods? Will coincidences never cease...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Everything sounds like Coldplay now...

http://movies.maxim-magazine.co.uk/maxi ... sounds.mov
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That's priceless. And I don't even dislike Coldplay.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Not to be obnoxious but:
Extreme Honey wrote: They have both had their first 3 cds almost identical to each other in musical style. Coldplay's next album will decide if they are taking an EC path (just like Get Happy was Elvis's first experiment album).
Are you implying that My Aim Is True and This Year's Model are almost identical to each other in musical style? I disagree. For one thing, The Attractions added a huge punch to This Year's Model, and the songs are generally more wild and punky, whereas the pub-rock influences are more clear on My Aim Is True, which doesn't even have the Attractions on it for the most part.
Extreme Honey wrote: The lead singer has a wife, even early in his career, like Elvis.
This isn't very unusual.. especially considering Chris Martin is his late 20s at this point. And didn't he only marry Gwyneth Paltrow like.. a year ago?
Extreme Honey wrote: The real highlights and brainpower of both bands (Coldplay + EC an' the attractions are the lead singers).
The same could be said of The Beatles, The Kinks, The Clash, and scores of other bands.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Extreme Honey wrote:
...hope you found that interesting :lol:
More than I did X and Y, anyway.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Funny to see a video for Mitch Benn's send up. Elsewhere it was mentioned that he has done a whole series of parodies on Radio 4. This one was also on a Word CD. Coldplay have made themselves so obvious. They spent ages and went through all this torment getting the third LP right, and yet it sounds like the singles could have been knocked together in a few minutes according to the tried and trusted formula. You could do a lot worse, and I can believe they come across well to a big audience, but they seem so undeserving of their huge status.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Funny to see a video for Mitch Benn's send up. Elsewhere it was mentioned that he has done a whole series of parodies on Radio 4. This one was also on a Word CD. Coldplay have made themselves so obvious. They spent ages and went through all this torment getting the third LP right, and yet it sounds like the singles could have been knocked together in a few minutes according to the tried and trusted formula. You could do a lot worse, and I can believe they come across well to a big audience, but they seem so undeserving of their huge status.
Agree Otis - they're just very average. Nothing offensive about them, but I haven't heard anything that made me want to run out and buy one of their albums.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verena

Post by verena »

Extre. Money : I don't think I figured all the points you wanted to make, but it was interesting, as a matter of fact. Hope you're happy with this response.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

John Hiatt's The Tiki Bar Is Open. Never heard this one before and I like it a lot.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

That's a good 'un. I bought it for my ex when it came out a few years back... this reminds me I'll have to copy it from him!
verena

Post by verena »

Bach - The Goldberg Variations

Glenn Gould interpretation, obviously - (Heard there's another good one, by a Latino player, didn't really search for it yet).
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

BlueChair wrote:Not to be obnoxious but:
Extreme Honey wrote: They have both had their first 3 cds almost identical to each other in musical style. Coldplay's next album will decide if they are taking an EC path (just like Get Happy was Elvis's first experiment album).
Are you implying that My Aim Is True and This Year's Model are almost identical to each other in musical style? I disagree. For one thing, The Attractions added a huge punch to This Year's Model, and the songs are generally more wild and punky, whereas the pub-rock influences are more clear on My Aim Is True, which doesn't even have the Attractions on it for the most part.
Extreme Honey wrote: The lead singer has a wife, even early in his career, like Elvis.
This isn't very unusual.. especially considering Chris Martin is his late 20s at this point. And didn't he only marry Gwyneth Paltrow like.. a year ago?
Extreme Honey wrote: The real highlights and brainpower of both bands (Coldplay + EC an' the attractions are the lead singers).
The same could be said of The Beatles, The Kinks, The Clash, and scores of other bands.
Well I'm sooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry. Just pointing out a few similarities that's all Blueboy. You're right about all of them and especially the first one, I should know. but W.E they are indeed similarities so I'm happy that at least Verena liked it :lol:.
I don't understand what you are getting to selfmademug, I'mjust trying to leave our past behind before I make a wrong turn and get booted, so if you play along with me that would be nice. :oops:
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Paul Weller "Wildwood"

Still think the vocals on "Distorted Angel" are inspired by teh vocal stylings (pun intended) of Paul Weller on this record
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

verena wrote:Bach - The Goldberg Variations

Glenn Gould interpretation, obviously - (Heard there's another good one, by a Latino player, didn't really search for it yet).
I love the whole aura and myth of Glenn Gould, but couldn't the guy have kept his mouth shut during recording? Some people think the annoying humming along enhances the music, I think it just ruins it. I've never got hold of any of his recordings for this reason, though am interested in listening more closely and see if I can get past this reaction. I have Murray Perahia's recording, which was raved about and garlanded with awards and is very clean and lively.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

verena wrote:I don't think I figured all the points you wanted to make, but it was interesting, as a matter of fact. Hope you're happy with this response.
Extreme Honey wrote:...so I'm happy that at least Verena liked it :lol:
Isn't young love sweet?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

You're just jealous!!
verena

Post by verena »

C'mon guys, don't be daft ! 8)
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Ya me and the frenchie like it private!
verena

Post by verena »

:shock:

Eh you ! what are you tryin' to imply ?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Just kidding Verena...lol
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Miles Davis "Blues for Pablo" from the moody "Blue Miles".
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Nina Simone singing "Lilac Wine". It's on continuous-brain-loop. I cannot shake it, and I don't think I want to. It's controlling me.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

Ooh I wanna get my hands on that. I love it from Jeff Buckley, though first knew it as a hit in the 70s by Elkie Brooks (probably not known outside of Britain). I love Nina's Wild Is The Wind, which of course I know incredibly well via Bowie.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Her Wild Is The Wind is one of the sexiest things ever recorded, I think. That, and Lilac Wine are both on a compilation I acquired recently called "After Hours", all ballads, very moody and torchy, perfect for the waning summer. I've got many of the songs on other recordings, but it's nice having them all together, thus avoiding the inevitable jarring oddball. I don't know the Elkie Brooks; never heard of her(?), in fact.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

As I thought!