What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by so lacklustre »

I'm listening to:

Chris Wood is an English folk singer/musician, and this album is quite brilliant. If you want to try something a bit different give it a try. Here is a review of the album which describes it better than I ever could.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/v4mq/
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

This sounds good:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/shows/series ... chriswood/

But 6 and a half minute The imagined Village collective thing he performed with on Later (sitar, Indian drums, etc.) just seemed pointless and boring so I switched over. Check it out on iPlayer if you missed it and see what you think - if you can get iPlayer (Europe only?). It's a fantastic service, particularly for music TV where the heft of the sub-woofer I have on the computer comes into its own. I though Hot Chip were very good on this show - their new record sounds like it's worth checking out.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Pretty strong album of Dusty Springfield covers. Very nicely understated.

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Now this. Hugely under-appreciated album from a few years ago...

so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:This sounds good:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/shows/series ... chriswood/

But 6 and a half minute The imagined Village collective thing he performed with on Later (sitar, Indian drums, etc.) just seemed pointless and boring so I switched over. Check it out on iPlayer if you missed it and see what you think - if you can get iPlayer (Europe only?). It's a fantastic service, particularly for music TV where the heft of the sub-woofer I have on the computer comes into its own. I though Hot Chip were very good on this show - their new record sounds like it's worth checking out.
Yes, that Chris Wood track is from the Trespasser album. I have to disagree about the rest though, I thought the Imagined Village track was the best thing on Later last night. Hot Chip though do nothing for me.
signed with love and vicious kisses
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Pretty strong album of Dusty Springfield covers. Very nicely understated.

Dude, you just made my month! I can't wait to pick this one up.
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
Otis Westinghouse

The title track is on the latest Word comp, and it's very good. Tremendously understated, as you say. It takes nerve and class to be so minimalist and make it work, so if the rest of the record does it as well as that, it's surely worth hearing. Costellographer Graeme Thomson gives it a big thumbs up in their review: it makes 'everything sadder than a triple bill of Brief Encounter, Love Story and Bambi', and 'Lynne shows that she is capable of communicating the nuances of a song better than perhaps any living singer you can think of outside Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan'. Apparently her 'email buddy' Barry Manilow made the suggestion of an LP of Dusty covers. Nice one, Baz! Three songs off the superb Dusty In Memphis, plus Willie and Laura Mae Jones, which is a bonus on my copy of the latter. There's a great photo in Word of Lynne sitting on a carpeted floor in an absurd ankle length grey cardigan, looking like a 4 year old in her dad's clothes, with the brilliant caption 'a 90o wash might sort it'!

Just a little lovin'
Early in the mornin'
Beats up a cup of coffee
For startin' off the day
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Rainy day here...

colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Bright sunny day here in Manchester!

Listening to a freebie cd from the magazine Uncut - Rock n Roll in the spirit of the Faces - not a bad collection, good stuff so far from Patty Hurst Shifter - Sadder side, Les savy Sav - Scotchguard the credit card and the Hold steady - Stevie Nix.
...I want him to hurt...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Jayhawks fans like me have been waiting a long time for the solo debut of Gary Louris, and this album definitely lives up to expectations. It manages to be similar enough to The Jayhawks to please fans, while still managing to craft an independent voice for itself (and himself, I suppose). Oddly enough, the album was produced by Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes. There's kind of a early 70s Stonesish choir of backing vocalists on a handful of the tracks, including Robinson, Jenny Lewis and Susanna Hoffs.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Like me, the "g" is silent.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hi Cosmos.

Checked neglected Nick Cave albums looking for Knoxville Girl* after reading up on it and reading he'd done it. Alas, didn't have it, but did catch up on some stuff including this -

*Has someone heard it?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Haven't heard Nick doing Knoxville Girl, but I love the Murder Ballads album. Probably a Desert Island Disc for me.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Yeah, it's very, very good, Pophead. Wish I'd discovered it sooner because then I wouldn't have doubted Nick Cave for so long.

These would have dispelled all doubts -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iPdfDpz3mCc&feature=related O'Malley's Bar 1st half
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9yEsQfI0q8M&feature=related O'Malley's Bar 2nd half
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lneSAju-Xtc&feature=related Stagger Lee

The songs are not all intense first person characterisations (in case anyone wonders), all in all the album is balanced well with quieter, evocative sinister-squeaky-swing type narrated stuff for example, the threat of violence hanging in the air, but these are just such unavoidably impressive tour de forces. Crow Jane reminds me of something off of Aftermath.

I'd not been convinced of Nick Cave's potential by his early videos but now I'll pick up any of his albums without much hesitation.
Otis Westinghouse

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! out next week here. Picking up good reviews.

I was blown away by Toumani Diabate last week. I've heard a couple of his things on The Word samplers, with the Symmetric Orchestra, saw a bit of him live at Glastonbury with Bjork, etc. Great sound. He plays the kora, 21 string African harp with a round body attached, like a lute. The latest Word mag contains a solo piece, Elyne Road. I was open-mouthed when I first heard it. I didn't realise just how beuaitful the instrument is until hearing this, nor what an incredible musician he is. The piece was inspired by Kingston Town, an old reggae classic that he knew from UB40 (see here).

I could write a page of superlatives at how moving and perfect this piece is, but words don't do it justice. I have to get the LP - out in the shops now, to get more of it. The song isn't on Hype, but others are, plus videos, etc.:

http://hypem.com/search/toumani/1/

The LP's title 'The Mande Variations' links it to a classical tradition, and on first hearing, I wouldn't have known straight off that it was Malian in origin - it seems to fuse a classical harp sensibility with a Mali spirit, and although you wouldn't recognise Kingston Town from it, once you know that, it figures too. Whole swathes of musical history seem to be bound up in this one piece.

There's a great interview with him in the latest Word too. David Hepworth visits him in Bamako and gives a good impression of his life (100 dependents, or so), ending with a magical description of Toumani playing Elyne Road to him alone in the garden in late afternoon, and, how he'd never been so close to someone who could play an instrument so well. I would probably have been in floods of tears in such an extraordinary situation.

Can't recommend this piece enough. I'm sure the whole thing is worth hearing - will report back - keen to hear his other recordings too, solo and with others.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Beautiful, joyous album, You can just hear how much fun they had recording this. moody, I think you'd like 'em.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Got the kids tucked in and am digging into this, probably the greatest recordings of Beethoven's masterful piano sonatas ever made, by the famed Russian pianist.

Amazing that you can get complete cycles of Beethoven symphonies and sonatas in excellent sound for well under $50 now. The classical record companies must be hurting.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

thanks for the suggestion, Sam. I am enjoying that very much.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:thanks for the suggestion, Sam. I am enjoying that very much.
Helping you getting over losing to Vandy last night? What a letdown!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

They needed to lose. And go into March with something to prove. :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Someone suggested to me earlier today that the music from the "Beef - it's what's for dinner" ads (Aaron Copland's Rodeo) should be the American national anthem. I had to gently inform him that it had no words, but it made me want to pull this out - a record I hadn't listened to in years...

Anyone following the coverage of the NY Philharmonic's concert in North Korea? I find it fascinating.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Positively 4th St., thank you very much.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I am currently enjoying (a leaked copy of) this one :

She & Him are Zooey Deschanel and M.Ward.
Lovely stuff !
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Ooh... lucky pole! So far I've only heard "Sentimental Heart" and "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?," but I love both of those tracks.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Ooh... lucky pole! So far I've only heard "Sentimental Heart" and "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?," but I love both of those tracks.
I'll probably be getting that. There has been very little of interest released so far this year.