New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

U2 tonight at MSG, with a nice dinner in midtown beforehand. Babysitter's all lined up - we had to get on her calendar months in advance. The joys of parenthood!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Roddy Frame was on great form on Tuesday night, although he was a little quieter on stage than the last time I saw him...a bit dry in his humour and making it clear he's not into requests. As a piss-take of Glenn Tilbrook (who's renowned for his long request sessions) he announced that he would be doing a series of Squeeze songs at the end of the night.

It was a purely accoutic and very intimate set in which he played a lot of tunes from Surf and a few new numbers. He included a few classics, like Stray, The Birth of the True, The Boy Wonders, The Bugle Sounds Again, Down the Dip, Oblivious, Bigger Brighter Better and Black Lucia.

I didn't make a note of the whole set, but Killermont Street.com will have them all listed in a few weeks.

At one point a guy shouted out that he was from Arizona and that he'd like to request a song....he then asked for either "Spanish Horses" or "Walk out to Winter"...Roddy looked unimpressed and laughed sarcastically..."oh...one of the really uncomplicated ones aye?" before announcing without irony that he couldn't remember the lyrics these days unless he rehearses.

Later a fan asked for 'We can send Letters' - a personal fave of mine - and he just raised his hand as if to say..."just leave it".....

Anyway, whatever his mood, Roddy was on top musical form and left me awestruck as ever with the delicacy of his playing. His voice has just got richer and richer with age and a glorious rendition of 'Hymn to Grace' wrapped up a perfect night for me and the Mrs. Great stuff.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson, I read an interview with Roddy somewhere in which he said that he very rarely strays from his set-list because he puts a lot of thought into sequencing the songs, so it doesn't surprise me to hear that he didn't take requests. How did the new material sound?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Well, there were apparently only 2 new tunes, both of which sounded very promising. The others were bonus songs I'd never heard, and have since downloaded 8). The acoustics at The Stables were excellent and lent themselves to this kind of show.

I've since got the set from his website:

Sea Is Wide (new)
Small World
Turning the world around
Black Lucia
Dry Land (new)
Your Smile...
Stray
Crossing Newbury Street
Bigger Brighter Better
Over You
Western Skies
Surf
Bugle Sounds Again
Boy Wonder
Oblivious
Down the dip
Birth of the true
On the avenue
Mattress of wire
Hymn to grace
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Where is the venue? Would like to see him again, it's been 18 years! Down The Dip and The Boy Wonders would have been faves for me. I adore We Could Send Letters too. Have you got the original 45?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Kings of Leon and The Like in just about 5 hours. Color me stoked, but, dammit, I have to work tomorrow. That seriously curtails my fun.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Rock 'n' roll! Come on, Moodster, roll a few joints, hit the beer and tequila, and tomorrow will be 'just another time', as Lou would have it.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Where is the venue? Would like to see him again, it's been 18 years! Down The Dip and The Boy Wonders would have been faves for me. I adore We Could Send Letters too. Have you got the original 45?
Wavendon, nr Milton Keynes on this occasion. Go see him Otis........worth every penny
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Helluva show by Bono and the boys at MSG. Here's the setlist.

Main Set:

01. City Of Blinding Lights
02. Vertigo
03. Elevation
04. The Electric Co.
05. Gloria
06. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
07. Beautiful Day
08. Miracle Drug
09. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Love And Peace Or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet The Blue Sky
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One (snippet of She's A Mystery To Me)

Encore:

17. The First Time
18. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
19. Fast Cars
20. With Or Without You

Encore:

21. All Because Of You
22. Party Girl
23. Yahweh
24. Vertigo

Highlights for me were a blistering "The Electric Co.", "Gloria", "Where The Streets Have No Name". Bono added "Party Girl" at the last minute and obviously had not sung it in a long time, because he forgot the lyrics. He walked over to Larry Mullen, who helped him out with the second verse as he broke out laughing, then Bono finished the song.

What a terrific band. Sure, Bono gets a little heavy-handed sometimes, but they give it every ounce of energy they have. The bond between the band and the audience is really something special. Well worth braving the terrible weather to get there. If you have a chance to see them on this tour, don't pass it up.

I'm beat - time to go to bed!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

tried my best, Otis, but somebody had to be the Responsible One. and it's always me!!!

I was predisposed to like The Like, so yes I liked them - meant to get their cd after the show, but they were mildly besieged signing them and only one guy working the booth, so I put it off. Tennessee is definitely the anchor - she tapped off every single song and did a very mean impression of Cousin It - hair all in her bowed face, just wailing on them drums. She's very very good. The others, well, they were ok, could use some color and rehearsal. They didn't seem to know how to end their songs. Instead of da-da-dum, it went da-da-kerflumppppppppppppppppp. Twice the singer said 'this is a special night, because we're in Tennessee and her name's Tennessee.' Whatever.

Kings of Leon were great. My ears are still bleeding and I could use another 3 hours of sleep, but here I am at work. Don't tread on me today. All their songs are fairly short, so basically they played everything from both albums. Highlights for me were a swaggering stomp thru 4 Kicks and Joe's Head, during which the guitarist (I think he's the cousin - his ears don't stick out like Dumbo's) jittered and jumped like he was on a high voltage wire. Ladies will be happy to note that a stylist has been working on the singer (caleb?) - the silly haircut was gone and he's been pumping some iron and wore the tight shirt to prove it. They had their silly Rock Star moments - the singer/r. guitar threw about 15 picks to one particular section of the audience and threw his mic stand over at the end, the bass player and the jittery guitarist tried desperately to outsmoke each other (with cigarettes, I mean). Everybody in the audience (except my husband) was on their feet from the minute they walked on stage and the kids were throwing a lot of death metal signs, which struck me as funny. But I was probably the oldest person there who had paid for their own ticket.

edited to add the Footwear Decision: went with the platform sandals. Nice wide stable heel.

edited again to add this link to an August show on NPR (it's basically the show I saw, right down to kicking over the mic stand, but I think the sound was better in knoxville.)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4781927
Last edited by mood swung on Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one. Well survived and responsibly handled.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

For those of you going to see Bob in the next few weeks, here's a discussion thread about last nights show in Stockholm.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Apparently Randy Newman is playing the University of Toronto's Convocation Hall in March 2006. It's his first show here in something like 20 years, and it's happening in the same building where I officially graduated university. Go figure.

Edit: Yep, just found a website with Randy tour history and he's played Toronto seven times: 1972, 1973, two in 1974, 1977, 1978, and the last time he played here was 1983 :P
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

martinfoyle wrote:For those of you going to see Bob in the next few weeks, here's a discussion thread about last nights show in Stockholm.
Thanks, was wanting to check where things were at. Sounds like he's got to get back into the groove fully in time for Brixton! Lots of songs in this set that I don't know still! :(
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I see that Josh Rouse will be performing at Royal Festival Hall in London on December 9, while I'm over there:

http://www.rfh.org.uk/main/events/129237.html

Any of the UK contingent interested in attending the show with me?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

When it comes to Dylan I wouldnt listen to the critics - from the same concert you'll get some say its the best theyve ever seen and others the worst. And I dont know what the hell this guy is on about...
10. Highway 61 Revisited ++++
This bluesrock-version blew me away. Nice tempo. Wonderful singing by Bob.
11. Bye and Bye ++
No real opinion.
12. Honest with me ++
Kinda good. Very long though.
13. Every Grain of sand +++
Maybe the best song tonight. Slow. Clear.
14. Summer Days ++
Also very long.
10. Blew him away with wonderful singing and it gets 4 out of 5 - wonder what you have to do to get 5?
11. No real opinion - errr well ok
12. Very long though - ok , so short is good long is bad??
13. Best song tonight - 3 out of 5 - wonder what happened to 10.?
14. Very long - see 12.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I see that Josh Rouse will be performing at Royal Festival Hall in London on December 9, while I'm over there:

http://www.rfh.org.uk/main/events/129237.html

Any of the UK contingent interested in attending the show with me?
Enjoyed him here in Cambridge this year, but wouldn't be enthused enough to see him twice, even with WSS in town! Wonder how he'll come across solo. Loved the encore of 'Slaveship' with 'I love you, would you marry me', even if he was hamming it up going down on bended knee and addressing the ladeeez. 'The now Spanish-based artist' - eh? He's taken to recording in Spanish, it sounds like, but I guess they mean he lives there. He does have a few refs to Spain in songs, I note. Will have to investigate further....

OK, have done so, and:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/josh_rouse/interviews/8550

Don't know Altea, but it's a nice part of the country. So will his next LP be called Altea?
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Oasis - tonight!

I know how much everybody loves Oasis around here :) I might be a different kind of venue than the Opera three weeks ago...
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:'The now Spanish-based artist' - eh? He's taken to recording in Spanish, it sounds like, but I guess they mean he lives there. He does have a few refs to Spain in songs, I note. Will have to investigate further....
Josh posted this in his web journal in late September:
the next full length will be out in march. as i've said before, it's called "subtitle". it contains some swanky bossa nova, and the first single and video will be "quiet town". now usually my singles were chose by rykodisc, now that i have the ability to make these decisions, i'm choosing something more intimate and really different than any of my previous singles. it might not be a rocker, but i never really felt i did that well anyway. that's all for now. don't fight on the forum and enjoy sept.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I saw the Kronos Quartet the other day. They were excellent, of course.

Highlights of the show were Steve Reich's Triple Quartet (powerful to the point of exhaust), a beautiful, intimate arrangement of Mingus' Myself When I Am Real, and John Zorn's Cat O'Nine Tails, the latter of which a reviewer rightfully wrote sounded like the soundtrack of Tex Avery directing Marquis de Sade! Very diverse encores too: Sigur Ros' endeeringly romantic The Fly Freer (can't spell its Icelandic title), a raga by some Indian (duh) with some inspired Viola playing from Hank Dutt, and last but definitely not least a violint Star Spangled Banner that made Hendrix' version sound like chamber music. (sadly no Riley or Glass stuff this time around though)

Catch them if they're touring near you.

PS. The programme mentioned a Costello collaboration. Does anyone know more about this? I know they played at Meltdown, so is that it? I really can't recall hearing them together. DS
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Their versions of My Funny Valentine are on this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 2?v=glance

Don't know if they've collaborated, but don't think so.
Otis Westinghouse

Cambridge's only remotely celebrated band of recent years, in terms of having a record deal and getting some acclaim, albeit pretty low-key, The Broken Family Band, played two nights back where they did their first gigs, small pub venue not at all far from Westinghouse Mansions called The Portland Arms. They're an English indie alt.country band, slightly odd concept. We discussed whether the faux-American voice was a good idea because it parodies the idea of an alt.country band from Cambridge, or whether they should make their roots more a part of their identity by singing in a straight English way. The accent was grating on me, so I go for the latter, but suspect it might not sound so interesting. They have some very good songs, lots of striking lyrics, often very mordant and sardonic, and a wicked sense of humour: they asked the audience if anyone wanted the next song dedicated to someone, so a guy suggested his mate Joe, and up strikes the first line 'I want to see my hands around your throat' and continues in the same vein. Good musicians too, especiaally the acoustic guitarist. It was fun seeing a local band whose songs I didn't know mostly but most of the audience knew every note of, in a tiny venue housing about 100 people.

They've had a few CDs out, with two full length ones. The last one, Welcome Home, Loser, got quite a lot of acclaim, and Mark Lamarr has given them Radio 2 airtime very enthusiastically. Worth checking out if you can. I'll get the last one Welcome Home, Loser soon and report back. Their new one, Balls, is due out in Jan.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Saw Mr. Man last night! Did a lovely rendition of "Shipbuilding," plus all the old chestnuts and a couple off TDM (and..."She"(?)). The crowd didn't really grasp the concept of call and response, though...
Otis Westinghouse

Fucking hell, I'm getting goosebumps over the very thought of being in Buenos Aires and hearing him sing Shipbuilding. What an experience. He didn't mention Las Malvinas, did he? Maybe not.

Count yourself lucky too to have heard She. I think this only happens in Portugal and South America!

So did you meet him after and tell him we know you as MBA and now you've decided to make it a literal thing?
Otis Westinghouse

Martha Wainwright, Cambridge tonight,

God is she talented, what a voice!

Am utterly pissed as a result. I love Martha.