EC to Play Brilliant Disguise on Fallon, March 1 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Re: EC to Play Brilliant Disguise on Fallon, March 1 2012

Post by FAVEHOUR »

He did seem a little subdued, a little stiff. Maybe worrying about getting all the words right...
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I didn't like Brilliant Disguise on first viewing, but I'm starting to like it more and more. Very sparse instrumentation. EC barely strums that 4-string guitar/bass thingy; it's basically there as a prop. His vocals are strained but I like the overall sound. The piano/drums riff was very familiar and I now remember where I heard it first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE6Qcc6VDo8
Lauryn Hill - Doo Wop (That Thing)

Almost identical!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:It took me a while to realize Elvis was playing bass!!!
Has Elvis ever played bass in public before? Not counting the time he tried to interest Homer Simpson in the instrument, of course.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Has Elvis ever played bass in public before? Not counting the time he tried to interest Homer Simpson in the instrument, of course.
I don't think so! (Not counting the time he mimed Hoover Factory by himself on UK TV in 1980, anyway.)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jardine wrote:thanks for the links. I found both those performances a little flat and boring, but that may be a hangover from my mild disinterest in springsteen.
EXACTLY...and i LOVE springsteen for the past 35 plus years!
FAVEHOUR wrote:He did seem a little subdued, a little stiff. Maybe worrying about getting all the words right...
which he did NOT get right!!! hahaha
And No Coffee Table wrote:
i actually saw it happen at a soundcheck in 1983 at the PIER in NYC with BRUCE THOMAS on guitar...i'd have to check "the archives" to let you know the actual song!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:yeh, but will THE ROOTS do the C/W version that EC did as the flip side years back??
i didn't think THIS would happen....but, maybe it should have! it would have pushed them into a "different" spot, which they usually do not shy away from, and it actually would have been MORE lively than this one. and the FIRE was just okay to me as well. i would be a horrible little "YES MAN" to say that i loved either of these two songs that we got last night. got a feeling Tuesday coming will be better than this was. Elvis & Roots doing some blues should work more naturally. yes, these BOTH come off as "forced" in my opinion.
maybe it was me, extra grouchy before a beloved aunt's funeral this morning: on second listen...they're GRRRRRREAT!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

MP3's anywhere for this ? (Doc <3)
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WIWC...it is about time i start picking up the slack and start pitching in to help the good doc! so i am doing the mp3's right now, i will email to CC (the doc!) and he will post here soon i would bet! cheers, ba
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:WIWC...it is about time i start picking up the slack and start pitching in to help the good doc! so i am doing the mp3's right now, i will email to CC (the doc!) and he will post here soon i would bet! cheers, ba
Already done, ba, but thanks for the effort!

Brilliant Disguise and Fire mp3's:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4azkxq4orzzk4
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you son of a gun!!! i JUST emailed them to you. now i will give you the task of seeing if each of ours are comparable or if one is better than the other! p.s. NO ANALOG INVOLVED!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oooh, and now i will ask you to do the mp3's for the CHUCK BERRY songs too please.... :P :P
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:oooh, and now i will ask you to do the mp3's for the CHUCK BERRY songs too please.... :P :P
http://www.mediafire.com/?1y14nz9r6fax2

I also put it in the Chuck Berry thread.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I thought both songs were great. Fire was awesome... Tapping into the ska vibe - love it.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:WIWC...it is about time i start picking up the slack and start pitching in to help the good doc! so i am doing the mp3's right now, i will email to CC (the doc!) and he will post here soon i would bet! cheers, ba

I found I could easily download "Brilliant Disguise" via the link in mp4 and then convert or extract the audio to mp3 (as I have with the Chuck Berry tracks and most youtube videos) However I couldn't manage the other track "Fire". Seems when video or audio is embedded on certain pages it's impossible to download. It's happened before with mainly TV or Radio sites (Eg some of the NPR radio shows and Prairie Home Broadcast etc ) I use a browser add on called "DownloadHelper" which , as I say usually works fine..Anybody care to let me in on the secret?

Until then I am indebted to the doc & co for making it possible for me to hear this stuff, that many of us overseas would never otherwise hear. That includes the recent E Street radio show as well.. Thanks again
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

The imposter wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

I found I could easily download "Brilliant Disguise" via the link in mp4 and then convert or extract the audio to mp3 (as I have with the Chuck Berry tracks and most youtube videos) However I couldn't manage the other track "Fire". Seems when video or audio is embedded on certain pages it's impossible to download. It's happened before with mainly TV or Radio sites (Eg some of the NPR radio shows and Prairie Home Broadcast etc ) I use a browser add on called "DownloadHelper" which , as I say usually works fine..Anybody care to let me in on the secret?

Until then I am indebted to the doc & co for making it possible for me to hear this stuff, that many of us overseas would never otherwise hear. That includes the recent E Street radio show as well.. Thanks again
the imposter - Did you look at the source code on the web page? View the source code from your browser. If it's embedded then the code will give you a directory of where it is stored... Pull that URL/dir. info and plug into into DLHelper (if they have that option).

I could probably help you here as I have dabbled in pulling vids like this in the past.. but it's been some time.. and I am old and lazy... Also, not into breaking the law, either.

Peace - MOJO
krm

Post by krm »

I guess it is the four string guitar that he has used in a few songs when he played with the sugarcanes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_guitar
Modern players of the tenor guitar include Neko Case, Josh Rouse, David Tiller, Adam Gnade [2], Ani DiFranco, Carrie Rodriguez, Kim Warner and Joe Craven. Jason Molina played a tenor guitar for much of his early work as Songs: Ohia. The instrument is often used by musicians looking to replace or augment sounds produced by more conventional instruments. Elvis Costello features a tenor guitar on the title track of his 2004 release Delivery Man. On the video for "Club Date: Elvis Costello & the Imposters Live in Memphis" he is seen playing an orange 1958 Gretsch Chet Atkins 6120 single cutaway archtop tenor guitar. The only known modern player who is known for using tenor guitars exclusively is roots rocker Lynda Kay of the Lonesome Spurs.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

The Tenor heard on The Delivery Man is a hot little Gretsch number. He has another tenor, a Gibson, that can be heard playing the riff in an alternate tuning on The Spell That You Cast.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.examiner.com/concert-in-new- ... k-a-succes

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon's "Springsteen Week" a success

This week Late Night With Jimmy Fallon celebrated Bruce Springsteen's upcoming release "Wrecking Ball" (out March 6th) by having the man himself (along with the E Street Band) as the musical guest for Monday and Friday night's shows. Tuesday-Thursday however brought some variety to the week as country singer Kenny Chesney, R&B star John Legend and Alt-Rock legend Elvis Costello performed covers of some of Springsteen's most well known songs.

All three nights proved to be a treat with all of the acts giving each song their own personal twist. Tuesday night, Chesney performed "I'm On Fire" with a pinch of Country flavor; Wednesday, Legend gave "Dancing In The Dark" a jazz makeover; Thursday night Costello sang "Brilliant Disguise" as a simple, piano-driven pop song and spun "Fire" into a sunny reggae tune. Not only did it provide a new way to enjoy the classic songs, but it showed why each artist is hugely successful. It takes a lot of nerve to cover Springsteen on national TV in the first place, but when you have the talent that these musicians have, there's nothing to worry about. Each version was uniquely creative while still remaining respectful to the original song's intention.

Tonight Fallon ends the week with a final Springsteen performance at 12:35 on NBC. To view videos of the aforementioned performances, visit Late Night With Jimmy Fallon's video archive.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will kick off their US tour on March 18th in Atlanta. They will be returning to the Tri-State Area on April 3, when they will play two nights at the IZOD Center followed by two nights at Madison Square Garden. For more dates, check Bruce Springsteen's official site.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

HDTV 1080i clip now on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=396441

Elvis Costello and The Roots
Bruce Springsteen Week on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
NBC Studios
Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY
March 1, 2012

Elvis Costello - vocals, tenor guitar

The Roots:

MC Black Thought (Tariq Trotter)
Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson - drums
James "Kamal" Gray - keyboards
James Poyser - keyboards
Frank "Knuckles" Walker - percussion
Kirk "Captain Kirk" Douglas - guitar
Damen "Tuba Gooding Jr." Bryson - sousaphone
Mark Kelley - bass

Lineage: Digital cable (HD source) > TiVo box > PC via TiVo Desktop > Video ReDo TVSuite V4 > .ts

"Brilliant Disguise"
731 MB
6 min 14 sec

Audio:
AC-3
384 kbps
48000 Hz
6 channels

Video:
MPEG-2
15.2 Mbps
16:9
1920 x 1080
migdd

Post by migdd »

These two songs are the least interesting of EC's works with the Roots. Both are snooze-inducing. After several listenings, they are not growing on me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Thanks for posting those mp3s! Is there anywhere to find the previous performances of EC & The Roots? The clips on the Fallon blog are no longer working on my computer, and I'd love to get the audio from them...
docinwestchester

cwr wrote:Thanks for posting those mp3s! Is there anywhere to find the previous performances of EC & The Roots? The clips on the Fallon blog are no longer working on my computer, and I'd love to get the audio from them...
http://www.mediafire.com/?wpwn4i9rerhb7

Black and White World (mp3 and FLAC)
Stations of the Cross (mp3 and FLAC)
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

docinwestchester wrote:
cwr wrote:Thanks for posting those mp3s! Is there anywhere to find the previous performances of EC & The Roots? The clips on the Fallon blog are no longer working on my computer, and I'd love to get the audio from them...

That is one of my favorite versions of Stations of the Cross
docinwestchester

SoulForHire wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

That is one of my favorite versions of Stations of the Cross
Totally agree. Here's the video:

http://vimeo.com/37997479