Elvis and the Imposters, Columbus, OH, June 19 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Re: Elvis and the Imposters, Columbus, OH, June 19 2011

Post by docinwestchester »

Anybody listen to Riot Act yet? If there's a better live version, please direct me to it. The jam at the end is off-the-charts amazing. Steve and EC are pretty much on fire and can't stop it. Glad I was wrong about the lack of tapers in the "heartland".
krm

Post by krm »

bronxapostle wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:how cool would that be to see all the songs so far performed on REVOLVER TOUR???
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... olver_Tour

WOW! thanks ANCT! looks like it came right out of "GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS" book...stellar! has this been here all along or did you just compile it after my post??? :D :D

I just noticed this myself! Fantastic work again by ? !!! I say thanks! a lot!!!!!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

bronxapostle wrote:
WOW! thanks ANCT! looks like it came right out of "GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS" book...stellar! has this been here all along or did you just compile it after my post??? :D :D
"Beyond Belief" too...
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

Glad I was wrong as well. Looking forward to hear Riot Act.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:how cool would that be to see all the songs so far performed on REVOLVER TOUR???
one respectful request ANCT: would you kindly place PUMP IT UP (original) in it's correct order in debut performance on the tour relative to the 6/8 time version and thusly show when original vs. blues one was performed nightly? thanks, ba
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.colingawel.com/journal/2011/ ... ip-st.html

My Favorite Songs of All Time - Elvis Costello "Relationship Status: Uncomplicated"

Colin Gawel

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 7:53AM

Among the many, many reasons I love rock n roll so much is that infidelity is strongly encouraged and is in fact essential to maintain a healthy bond. Sure, I may be in a committed long term relationship with the likes of Bruce Springsteen, The Kinks, Cheap Trick and The Replacements ECT.. But I reserve the right to have tawdry affairs whenever my throbbing biological urges become too much to take.

Or put another way, I may fix Lucinda Williams breakfast in bed every Sunday morning for all eternity, but get a few drinks in me on Saturday night and I transform into a rock n roll slut, content to jam (or Ram if you will) my tongue down Judas Priest's throat begging to hear "Electric Eye" at 120 db one more time. "Let me lick the frosting and someone else can have the cake", if you know what I mean. Ah yes, drinking and fooling around, the very essence of rock n roll.

I maintain an open relationship with thousands of bands and we have some harmless fun. Nobody gets hurts. No commitment. No drama. I may not reach out for months or even years and then suddenly bang on the"Rhapsody" door at 3am looking for a nightcap and just one kiss.

However, once in a while, one of these affairs turns into something a little more serious. It's an unsettling feeling falling for somebody new. I start to get a little jealous. Stalking the band on face book, watching endless clips on YouTube, boring my friends to tears with endless talk of how great they are. Suddenly I wake up needy. My other affairs don't mean as much. I stop texting Iron Maiden and blow off my date with Public Enemy just to sit at home wondering what they are doing.

This is where I am at with Elvis Costello. When I saw he was coming to Columbus with the Imposters this June, I knew this was my make or break moment. It was time for me to "Invest" in "us". Truth be told, I have been seeing his album "Blood and Chocolate" on the side now for a couple of years. I find myself sitting in my driveway alone at night listening to "Uncomplicated" and "Battered Old Bird" while my wife is inside asleep in our bed. These two songs are so powerful. So fearless. I find myself returning to them over and over. Yet, I couldn't seem to embrace the rest of Elvis's catalog with the same passion I had for this record.

I knew it wasn't him. He is great. Everybody I respect will vouch for what a great guy Elvis is. He has done so many interesting projects. I knew I was the one to blame for holding our relationship back. Commitment issues. (Again)

So I prepared for this concert. I wanted to build 'us' into something more than stale beer and wrinkled bedsheets. I wanted us to take the next step. I wanted to show Elvis I was serious about this and would be willing to do my part to help us succeed. So I listened and listened to his catalog preparing for our big date. I showed up at the concert with a dozen roses, a head full of Costello tunes and a 40oz draft beer in hand. I was ready to be swept off my feet.

And boy was I. I'm smitten. As he was tearing the roof off the LC with a blistering version of "Uncomplicated", I turned to my friends Brian Phillips and Joe Peppercorn and said, "If my ticket cost $100 and he only played this one song, it would have been worth it". It was that good. So Elvis and I are getting serious.

Colin Gawel is a songwriter/baseball fan/drooling fanatic who moonlights as a hack writer and coffee shop owner. He plays in Watershed and fronts the Lonely Bones. www.Colingawel.com
Fleaboppin' Puppy

Post by Fleaboppin' Puppy »

"RIOT ACT" = MIND-BLOWING HIGHLIGHT OF COLUMBUS SETLIST

As mentioned previously, E.C.'s rockin' live recital of "Riot Act" was truly breathtaking! I'm a sucker for the song to begin with, so when the band launched into the tune, I screeched with utterly mad delight. Just like the studio take, the drama proceeded to build & then build some more over time but during the Columbus rendition, The Imposters decided to ditch the clean fade at the end. Instead they unleashed one of the most hellish instrumental jams known to man or beast. You really should have been there to hear this wondrous creation! Elvis produced an apocalyptic soundscape strictly on his careening, caterwauling guitar while the rest of the band contributed to the overall din. There was a riotous harshness going on that won't soon be shaken or forgotten. BRILLIANT.

Hearing this masterful reading of the composition made me wonder if this is how E.C. & The Imposters play "Riot Act" all of the time they give it a whirl in concert. If anyone has an answer to my question, please feel free to enlighten me. I think I've heard two or three live versions of the track over the years, but I've never encountered a rendition with an extended jam (like the one played in Columbus on 6-19-2011) as an outro.

It is my sincere wish that you are blessed with Elvis delivering the "Riot Act" goods by including the number in his set, when you go & see him at an upcoming show...preferably on this "Revolver Tour."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Illustration of the show by "Next Year's Girl":
http://nextyearsgirl.com/?p=185
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

http://www.reviewstl.com/elvis-costello ... -st-louis/

Allison Babka

"Your dedicated reviewer went all the way to Columbus, Ohio, on June 19 for the fourth installment of Elvis Costello & the Imposters’ “Revolver” tour. Costello brings the show to St. Louis tonight at The Pageant. Tickets are still available. Learn more at ElvisCostello.com.

Confession: I’ve wanted to be on a game show since I was five. And not just any game show! I’ve wanted to be on a colorful, cheesy one with a ringmaster who offers a wheel of chance and convinces the contestants that balancing gallon jugs of pickle juice on their heads is a great idea.

Elvis Costello is just such a ringmaster. Minus the pickle juice.

Imagine my excitement when I sidled up to the rail in Columbus’ Lifestyle Communities Pavillion and noticed a gigundous wheel of 40 songs and albums taking up much of the stage. A game show of Elvis Costello music? Awesomesauce! A friend told me via text that Costello would pull audience members up to command his setlist by spinning the wheel, and I began plotting how much force to use on the spinner to land on “Brilliant Mistake” or “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.”

There was no opening band, so Costello and his Imposters got right to it. Donning a dapper suit and the first of perhaps six flashy fedoras, Costello jumped right into “I Hope You’re Happy Now” and a cover of Nick Lowe’s “Heart of the City.” He grinned as he played a blistering “Mystery Dance” and a few others before putting his guitar down, temporarily trading his fedora for a top hat and wandering into the audience to choose the first “Revolver” contestant. He selected a preteen who excitedly danced her way onto the stage and spun “Bedlam” as the next song. She jived first in an on-stage lounge and later in the go-go dancer’s cage as the band performed a version that had been slightly slowed down and jazzed up since its release on 2004′s The Delivery Man.

A few contestants later, a woman spun Get Happy, Costello’s fourth album. Because album spaces were considered “bonuses,” Costello played four selections: “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down,” an enthusiastic “High Fidelity,” “I Stand Accused,” and “Riot Act.”

One of the highlights of the main set was “And Your Bird Can Sing.” Upon seeing the Beatles cover on the wheel, audience members had excitedly yelled for it all evening. They didn’t leave disappointed – Costello bellowed the lyrics while Steve Nieve shot figurative rays of sunshine from his piano and keyboards.

The band left and returned for several brilliant encores, and Costello kept racking up the contestant count. Teenage boys, swooning women and giggling girls all got their time with the ringmaster. One young lady brought her instrumental songbook of Costello songs to the stage with her, and he gamely asked her to find a song for him to play. After she pointed to one, Costello looked doubtful and said maybe he’d come back to it. Costello made good on his promise a few songs later and made the girl go moon-eyed as he played “Less Than Zero” for her.

Around this time, I began to realize that my chances to spin the wheel were dwindling, despite being front and center for the entire show. I was placated, however, when Costello took “God Give Me Strength” to the floor. The Costello-Bacharach ballad smoldered as he slowly wandered up the sides, behind the pub tables and back onto the main floor. He made his way to the center of the floor and paused right beside me for a verse. This is where I get to tell you in capital letters that I HUGGED ELVIS COSTELLO. This was an acceptable trade-off for my not spinning the wheel, so thanks, Elvis!

Costello returned to the stage and took refuge behind the piano for a bluesy version of “Pump It Up.” Wearing yet another fedora, Costello closed his eyes and bobbed his head as he took the audience to church during the gospel-esque number. He followed that up with a cover of Johnny Cash’s “Busted” and a long, firey version of one of my favorites, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.” I might not have spun the song on the wheel, but I still felt like I got a damn fine prize that evening.

Side note #1: The show took place on Father’s Day, and Costello was moved by a teen’s sign that asked him to choose his dad to spin the wheel o’ songs. Costello invited them both to the stage for a spin each, and he later played “My Three Sons” for the fathers in the audience."

Nice objective review there then. "Awesomesauce!" indeed.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:
one respectful request ANCT: would you kindly place PUMP IT UP (original) in it's correct order in debut performance on the tour relative to the 6/8 time version and thusly show when original vs. blues one was performed nightly? thanks, ba

:D :D belated thanks ANCT; just noticed that you did just that upon checking "the grid" tonight as second leg ends. keep up the good work ALL TOUR!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks to doc; i am listening to this show today. i do NOT torrent so need the good doctors assistance. steve per usual is GREAT at this show...EC wild on guitar on Chelsea and Turpentine again. am i the first one to hear Steve noodling with DO YA THINK I'M SEXY during this jam? also, how elegant Steve's playing on MY THREE SONS!!