UK Dates

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: UK Dates

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Given the announcement of the Sligo date, I would say the UK is going to get an October tour.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a brief stint of solo shows with an Imposters tour or if it will be another whistle stop solo tour like last year.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Whilst we await news of any UK dates, I was interested to remind myself how many shows Elvis and The Imposters have played in the UK.

The answer is, fewer than you might think, given that the first show was way back in April 2002 at the (now demolished) Astoria Theatre. In nine years (according to the Wiki) The Imposters have played 34 live shows in the UK (or 35 if you count an instore appearance at the Virgin Megastore). I have omitted one TV recording from this count, but included the show at the Paris Cafe for BBC Radio 2 in 2002.

Of those 34 shows (or 35) only five (or six if you count the Megastore appearance) have been in London. To put that in context, EC and the Imposters have already played two shows in New York this month, and have another three scheduled for the Beacon Theatre next month. There have only ever been four Imposters shows in Scotland, the most recent being February 2005. Wales has enjoyed just one Imposters show, in May 2005.

Yes, we have seen EC with Allen Toussaint and with the Brodsky Quartet and various orchestras and solo in recent years, but the fact remains that we have not had an Imposters show in the UK since they played the Cornbury festival in a field in Oxfordshire on 10 July 2005. On current plans the sixth anniversary of that date will come and go before we get another Imposters show. It is almost enough to make you want to move to New York....

MOOT
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

My sealed envelope prediction is the usual suspects - in no particular order : Newcastle/ Glasgow / London (sorry MOOT no Imps again!!!!!!) then on to Liverpool and the Easyjet to Sligo - or somewhere quite like it.

Liverpool's Philharmonic Hall has no shows posted 25-28th Oct, my breath is held....

Not seen a proper solo gig since 1989, so this would be more than acceptable, but I do pine for a full on Imposters show.

Colin Top Balcony
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Man out of Time wrote: It is almost enough to make you want to move to New York....

MOOT
Haha. Good place to live if you're an EC fan, that's for sure.
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Everytime I see this thread bumped I get all hopeful... then it usually turns out to just be some Americans come in to gloat ;)
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

You can whine all your want Britains, but you get him a hell of a lot more than us Aussies. I had to fly to literally the other side of the world to see him play with the Sugarcanes in London and Liverpool last year.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

But surely you and your blazer where sponsored by Qantas as representing the modern chic Autralian way of life ! :lol:
I'm sorry I only seem to post to insult you, it's making up for all the years of being humiliated at sport by Australia. :oops:
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Well, the blazer didn't make the trip with me - I only bought it in Carnaby St once I arrived. However, I have decided it's my good luck charm now, having worn it for the best rock'n'roll show I've ever seen (The 'Canes in Liverpool) and my encounter with Stephen Fry. So I'll wear it for the Imposters gig on Tuesday and hope it encourages EC to slip some NR songs into the set.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Looking forward to hearing about the show with your usual unique approach, Jeremy. It feels a bit sad that Elvis still feels that the UK is low on his priorities for live performances though. :cry:
History History

Post by History History »

Cheer up, Sulky lad. At least we have YouTube! :(
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Given the speed of my computer, Youtube looks more like The King's Speech with all the stammering !! :lol:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Given the announcement of the Sligo date, I would say the UK is going to get an October tour.
Sadly, chances of this are receding further and further with the annoucement of the fourth leg of the Revolver tour in the US/Canada, running through September and the first week of October.

I think the likelihood is that this year's UK tour will consist of One Night in Belfast. It does go to make me more grateful for the ticket I bought for the Eindhoven gig months ago....

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

And the European leg will be Sligo...

I still think there's scope for a whistle stop tour of the UK or Great Britain.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Didn't Davey Farragher say on facebook a UK tour was likely next year.

I don't suppose Elvis thought the Spinning Songbook would be the success it seems to be at the moment
verbal gymnastics

Yes as I understand.

That will be a songbook tour.

I'm talking along the lines of a whistle stop solo tour.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
I'm talking along the lines of a whistle stop solo tour.
I get it, "A Slow Drag With Josephine"

in Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle and London?

Colin Top Balcony
verbal gymnastics

I think my jokes are getting too subtle. Cheers "The poster formerly known as Ryan" :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

VG wrote
I think my jokes are getting too subtle
If you are making subtle jokes, I declaim you as an Imposter and insist the real VG is restored at once !! :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Be careful what you wish for :lol: