Elvis on new Lucinda Williams album´Blessed´, March 1 '11

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis on new Lucinda Williams album´Blessed´, March 1 '1

Post by bronxapostle »

you KNOW i love getting a bargain from the good old P.O. by sticking 44 cents and dropping it in mondays mail. will do. was hoping to throw a few more together for the cause. next time! best to CC. b
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/bl ... ion-with-1

Interview: A Conversation With The Legendary And Prolific Lucinda Williams

* Posted by Chris Mateer on February 27, 2011

(extract)

Listening to you describe your willingness to collaborate and try new things reminds me of your duet with Elvis Costello on the song "Jailhouse Tears" from Little Honey. I have to admit, I was surprised to hear that he would be guesting as a guitar player on Blessed, and not also as a vocalist. What's the story there?

LW: Well, Elvis just happened to be in town. And we were so happy to have manged to get him in there. But it worked out, just barely though. He was just finishing up his album in LA with T Bone Burnett, and Tom suggested getting Elvis Costello in here to play some guitar on these songs. And I was surprised because I didn't think of Elvis as playing guitar like that.

And I'll tell you, he blew me away. I mean, I've never heard him play like that before. And we all love his guitar on the album. Elvis added such a "Keith Richards kind-of-thing" and it's something only a British guitar guy can do (laughs). And I don't even know exactly what that is you know (laughing)?

For me, that was kind of like the crowning glory of the record when he came in and added that. Because we didn't want too much stuff in there, or to be added on. So we had Elvis come and do some guitar, and Matthew Sweet did some harmony stuff too, and these were really the only things that we added on. Pretty much everything else was all recorded live at the same time.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:okay all...especially DOC (my uploader!) i'm transferring 6-26-99 Lucinda Guiness Fleadh Randall's Island w/ guest E Costello right now. tape sounds nice enough!

PINEOLA
METAL FIRECRACKER
CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD
DRUNKEN ANGEL
GREENVILLE
CAN'T LET GO
CHANGE THE LOCKS
JOY

a very TASTEFULLY restrained EC on acoustic guitar and bvox only on Drunken Angel and Greenville. must see if a photo shopping friend could enlarge my good, but faraway photo for some top COLIN artwork!!!
Now on Dime:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=347380

I'll put it up on MediaFire for those who "don't torrent" (but really should learn one of these days...)
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... thanks - look forward to non-Torrent '(EC) Greenville' etc ...

Lucinda Williams was live + chatting on BBC R2 2011-03-03 last night 7-8 pm whistlin' Bob Harris show ... (on 'listen again' for week).
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

charliestumpy wrote:... thanks - look forward to non-Torrent '(EC) Greenville' etc ...
Entire show (8 songs) on mp3 files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?34l99euede9j4
watercamp

Post by watercamp »

The CD booklet incorrectly credits EC with electric guitar on tracks 1, 6 and 10, it should be 1, 5 and 10.
Buttercup
Seeing Black
Convince Me
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thans very much for sharing mp3 of these lovely including EC tracks.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I hesitate to bring this up because it may be too late to be of any use, but Lucinda's official site was offering MP3s of four unreleased tracks in exchange for a proof of purchase of Blessed from any retailer.

One of the MP3s is "Convince Me (Extended Version)".
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The bonus downloads are still available from the official site until (at least) March 20.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nick Paumgarten, Elvis' profiler last November has this short, but just as revealing, piece about Lucinda -

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2011/04/0 ... paumgarten

ILLUSTRATION: TOM BACHTELL

The New Yorker

The Talk of the Town

The Musical Life

Lu in the Afternoon

by Nick Paumgarten April 4, 2011

Lucinda Williams

There are few things more perilous on tour than a free afternoon. Lucinda Williams, the singer and songwriter, had one during a swing through the city not long ago to play a couple of gigs. “Last time I was in New York, we went to Trash and Vaudeville, and I spent—how much, honey?” Honey was her manager and husband of two years, Tom Overby, a mild and lanky Minnesotan. They were out on the sidewalk in Cooper Square in the dying light of an idle Sunday. They hadn’t been awake long. (Williams sleeps past noon while on tour.) “This was before we realized we were broke,” Williams went on. “I spent, like, eight thousand dollars.” So shopping was out. Instead, it was decided, they would get a drink. A few blocks away, they found an airy Italian restaurant, sat down at the bar, and ordered a bottle of Brunello. The bartender, sensing something, poured Williams the first taste. “Mmm, yeah, that’s good,” she said.

Williams and Overby live in Los Angeles, in Studio City. Eleven years ago, she was quoted in this magazine saying—twice—“I fucking hate fucking New York.” But she doesn’t really. She spent almost a year here, in 1978. She worked as a waitress and busked in the East Village and sometimes rode the subway out to Queens to play at a bar called the Flushing Local. One night, she was at Gerde’s Folk City, in the Village. “I was asked to get up and play two or three songs. The owner, Mike Porco, this little Italian guy, the sweetest guy, came over to me and said, ‘Lucinda, I want-a you to meet a friend of mine. This is-a Bobby.’ ” It was Bob Dylan. “He was with a beautiful tall black woman, and they’d driven down from Woodstock, I guess in their own car. For me, it was like there was no one else in the room. I’ve never experienced anything like it. He’d been my hero since I was twelve. He had heard me sing a couple of songs. ‘Keep in touch,’ he said. ‘We’re going out on the road soon.’ ” As he was leaving, she positioned herself by the door. “He leaned over and gave me a kiss on the cheek.”

Twenty years later, Williams went out on a short tour with Dylan and Van Morrison, as a supporting act. “I had this fantasy that we’d all hang out,” she said. “Nothing could’ve been farther from the truth. Nobody talked to each other. Van’s band was unhappy, never sure if they’d get fired one day or the next. Same went for Bob and his band.”

Williams, who is fifty-eight, was wearing a leather vest and bluejeans tucked into knee-high boots. She had a great busby of frosted hair and a pair of filigreed glasses that, in the dim light of the bar, made it hard to get a good look at her eyes. She had performed well at Webster Hall the previous two nights. Onstage, Williams can occasionally get “kind of paranoid,” as she put it. She makes things a little easier on herself by having her lyrics nearby on a music stand.

“It’s mostly for the new songs, which I don’t know well yet,” she said, referring to those from her new album, “Blessed.” “But there were a couple of times years ago where I was forgetting the words to songs I’d sung thousands of times, like ‘Drunken Angel.’ ‘Oh, God, I screwed up.’ I’ve kind of gotten lazy over the years. It’s kind of a crutch. But now I don’t have to worry about remembering. I can think about singing.”

That night, she and Overby were planning to meet their tour bus at 2 A.M., ride down to Red Bank, New Jersey, the site of her next gig, and spend the night on board, while parked outside the concert hall. Williams first met Overby, who is fifty-two, at a Best Buy in Minneapolis, in 1992; she was reintroduced to him a few years ago at a hair salon. “I was attracted to him immediately,” she said. “He was tall, thin, nice smile, with a little bit of bling.” He leaned forward to show off a silver tooth, which he said he got at the age of six, after he tripped over the shoelace of a snow boot. “When I told my stepmother about him, she asked, ‘When was he divorced?’ Well, he lived with a woman for ten years, and then that fell apart. ‘No kids, never been married? He’s either gay or bisexual.’ ” Children, anyway, were pretty much out of the question for Williams. “Well, I didn’t want one in my twenties, in my thirties, or my forties,” she said. “Now I get kind of misty about kids.”

The bartender brought Williams a complimentary platter of fried calamari. “I knew I liked this guy as soon as I sat down,” she said. She scooped half the squid onto a saucer and pushed it toward Overby, and they began to discuss their dinner plans. ♦
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Do any of you nice people have an MP3 of the Elvis version of "Kiss Like Your Kiss"?
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

If you send me your email address in a PM, I will get you the MP3 along with the songs he plays guitar on.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Often - e.g. UK mornings - SoulSeek shares commercially-unavailable stuff ....
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

A recent interview with Lucinda Williams about her new album here:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtla ... 21775.html

includes this reference to EC:
“Blessed” is a departure in one respect: except for one incendiary Elvis Costello guitar solo on “Seeing Black,” there’s no barn-burner cut, no “Get Right With God” or “Joy.” It wasn’t intentional, she said. Just happened that way.
Little Hands of Concrete no more?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John H. e-mails -

One EC connection in this year's Grammy nominations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/54th_Grammy_Awards

Best Americana Album
Emotional Jukebox – Linda Chorney
Pull Up Some Dust and Sit Down – Ry Cooder
Hard Bargain – Emmylou Harris