celebrity sightings

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

when you see John Prine next, tell him I want to be Diana to his Elvis. Thanks.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Christina Ricci was at the show last night. Is she ever tiny! She was with another actor I recognized but couldn't place--he always plays a sort of hunched-over, neurotic character, and his face is really narrow.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

2 John Prine sightings in 2 days....was sitting in traffic this afternoon and Mr. Prine drove by slowly.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

oh dear, the cave is getting humid...
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the cave is gonna have to move a little closer to Nashvegas. 8)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Perhaps Mr. Prine is driving through Nashville looking for you, Mood! Maybe that's why cosmos keeps seeing him in traffic - he's just roaming the streets looking and saying, "I know that cave is around here somewhere!" :)
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I thought I'd see John Prine more often since Oh Boy Records is in the same building that I work in. My friend has worked here for 3 years, and he had never seen him until the other day. Must be my luck.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I also saw Steve Earle, John Prine, and Trisha Yearwood at the last EC show here.

Saw Emmylou Harris and Marty Stuart at the last Dylan show here.

I also saw some guy driving a truck with a huge awful-looking trailer behind it....looked like a NASCAR-sponsored thing. And I drove along wondering who the heck would be driving that thing around. And the driver was John Hiatt.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

tell me you are not talking about the oct 30 show last year at the ryman. tell me you are not saying that I was in the same building--room even--as both elvis and john prine. tell me you're talking about some other show...please.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

October 30, 2002....I was in the balcony of the Ryman in the very front row dead center. Steve Earle was up about 15 rows to my right, and Trisha Yearwood was about 15 rows up to my left. I waited out in the back alley of the Ryman hoping Elvis would come out and meet people. The friend I went to the show with was a security guard at the Ryman at the time, and so we arrived early to possibly meet him. But EC's security was very tight. So we waited after the show, and the first person out the back door was John Prine. I was rather surprised, since he's another songwriting god. He hurried down the stairs and down the alley.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

dammit, dammit, dammit!!!!!!!!!shit!shit!shit! I was there about 10 rows above you! right under that board dohickey. shit!shit!shit! arggggghhhhh. other colorful expletives. damn. shit. off to kick the puppy now. dammit to hell!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I have a cd of that show if you want a copy. It was almost as fun watching Steve Earle as it was watching Elvis. Steve was getting into it.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Berlin 1987, a full cafe, one guy alone at a table, no other seats. My friend marches up and asks if the other two seats are free. I'm thinking 'she can't do that, that's Jim Jarmusch'. I dashed into the toilet to avoid having to do anything else, and returned to hear her ask 'so what do you do?' I had to force myself not to chide her and provide the details, but he just said coolly 'I'm a film director'. He was on some grant there for a few months. Nice bloke. I recal him saying the furore over Blue Velvet was exagerrated as it wasn't as shocking as a lot of Sam Fuller films. And also an amazing account of a very drunk Shane MacGowan meeting Tom Waits for the first time in the desert and the two of them having a drunken, mutually appreciative hug.

I've sat next to Stephen Hawking in a Cambridge Thai restaurant (not an experience I like to recall much, poor man, it's quite an ordeal for him to eat). Seen him out and about a few times too, but not recently.

Madrid airport Sept 16 2003. I'm looking at this hilarious 'once a punk, always a punk' geezer in his 40s, peroxide hair, undersized denim jacket, big metal chain on his jeans. then I recognise the guy next to him, 'hang on, that's Steve Diggle of the Buzzcocks', and then then man himself, little Pete Shelley, older for sure, but cute, all in denim, busy reading and texting on the mobile. They are obviously still loved in Spain, as they were doing a bit of a tour:

http://www.terra.es/ocio/articulo/html/oci19613.htm

They must have been flying up to La Coruña that day for the gig and then back to Madrid. Sadly I didn't run into them in town. I wanted to run up and say Spiral Scratch, Ever Fallen In Love and What Do I Get? are among my all-time favourite singles and I love you all, but the peroxide one just looked scary.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i think he's jerkin' you around there moody. i was standin' in front of that door and the first person that came out was elvis. ask him if that famous alley smelled like a dumpster? pip'll remember too. but if cosmos is square, i was sittin' directly below trisha yearwood, which kinda scares me. aren't there a lotta women in nashville who look like trisha yearwood? and steve earle?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Not a lie....we went back around the Ryman during "I Want You". If you were there, you may recall about 15-20 people coming in and out of that door before Elvis came out. I was at the top of the stairwell. I am a huge Steve Earle fan and ran into him several times after the show. I see him all the time around town. The EC show was the first sighting of John Prine for me. But yes, he was there.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

cosmos wrote:

I have a cd of that show if you want a copy. It was almost as fun watching Steve Earle as it was watching Elvis. Steve was getting into it.

yes, please.
miss buenos aires

Timothy Hutton was in the row ahead of me at the show last night. He didn't seem to be applauding as much as everyone else, but he was still into it.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Where were you at the show last night, miss BA? i was looking for your glasses!
I'm not angry anymore....
miss buenos aires

Orchestra, row P, seat 10. You know, right behind Timothy Hutton. I was incognito; not in wig, and I changed my mind about the dress (see, verbal, Mrs. G is not the only one!), so I was in a low-cut gray polyester number with poppies on it.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

i think i've met or seen more sports figures than stars.
a while back Matt Millen went through my line at the super market. (the guy is HUGE!)
my husband and i saw (i saw, but my hub shook his hand) Mike Tyson (and his posse) at Bloomingdales just after the fight where he bit Evander Holifield's ear off. i wasn't gonna shake his hand. he's such a pig.
Have seen the great Lynn Swann and Amad Rahshad. (my husband's boss plays golf with him just about every weekend.)
we also saw and i believe got an autograph of Heisman trophy winner John Cappelletti (did you ever see the movie "Something for Joey"?)when we were at the Rose Bowl in Pasedena. Joe Paterno was there speaking at a dinner too but we didn't actually meet him. but i do have an autographed PSU football from him. (for anyone interested in college football, we were at the Rose Bowl to see the 1994 UNDEFEATED PennState football team. probably one of the last great teams to come out of PSU. who were, incidentally, RIPPED OFF of their national championship....ah! don't get me started.)
anyway, so i met a lot of the greats on that team and got my pic with Kerri Collins, who is now QB for the Giants, Kijana Carter, Kyle Brady.....and a bunch of others who, i guess, you'd only know if you were a PSU fan or into pro football.
got to hang after the show and meet the band the Offspring (Dexter Holland et al...) my son saw Cyndy Lauper not too long ago in Tower records (Elvis had just played there too, it must have been around the time that WIWC came out, but we missed him. i was soooo disappointed.)
at a FF show, Dave Grohl ran down through the audience and stood on the wall right behind us playing his guitar. that was neat.
My girlfriend's (who was maid of honor at my wedding) sister's friend was dating Peter Frampton. (twenty years ago that was so, so cool!)
and of course, meeting EC!!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

miss buenos aires wrote:Orchestra, row P, seat 10. You know, right behind Timothy Hutton. I was incognito; not in wig, and I changed my mind about the dress (see, verbal, Mrs. G is not the only one!), so I was in a low-cut gray polyester number with poppies on it.
Ah, miss BA, i was above you in the loge (which were really great seats. better than i expected.) and you were right, it was pretty intimate.
but i was definately looking for the silky chinese number.
and i believe firmly that it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind!
miss buenos aires

SweetPear wrote: but i was definately looking for the silky chinese number.
That was Monday. I love that dress so.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

miss buenos aires wrote:
SweetPear wrote: but i was definately looking for the silky chinese number.
That was Monday. I love that dress so.
oops!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

pinky, are you thinking what i'm thinking...gee brain, i don't know...COSMOS LEFT THE RYMAN DURING I WANT YOU :shock: well, i gotta be nice cause i'll be beggin' for a copy of that cd too and it doesn't matter anyway, but we musta been at different shows. i fooled around, went to my car to get my WIWC copy for elvis to sign and then stood in the alley for 10 minutes waiting for him to come out a door and down a couple steps and out an opening that wasn't much wider than he was. how is the quality of that cd cosmos?

and by the way, my celebrity encounters (haven't we done this?) ranging from "may i borrow your salt" (jake "the snake" roberts) to signing the cast on my 12 year old broken arm (bob crane) are numerous cause i'm old like a rope leash, but strictly b-list: cheryl tiegs, clark terry, bobby rosengarden, melanie (doesn't get much more b-list than that), richard gephardt, i was alone on an elevator with ms usa 1975 in 1975, jack buck and scads of baseball players, freddy fender, jerry lee lewis, and i don't know who all. no one other than elvis has left much of an impression except maybe barry goldwater. in the 70's you could still wander the hallways of the u s capitol and find yourself in line at the drinking fountain behind a senator. i met spooky in the woods once.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

We actually walked out during the applause of "I Want You". I went with an employee of the Ryman, so we were able to go out some doors that the general public didn't have access to. The Ryman security guards were holding our posters backstage for us, so we went out the back door and just waited outside. There wasn't anybody else back there for the first ten minutes or so.
The sound quality is ok...about as good as someone could get sneaking recording equipment inside. Of course, if you tip the security, they'll look the other way. I was in the front row at a Dwight Yoakam show there and a guy next to me gave the security guard 20 bucks to let him record the show on a handheld recorder.