North

Pretty self-explanatory
jardine

Re: North

Post by jardine »

agreed, kevin. it really does amaze me that so few covers of any of these wonderful songs have been done. Actually, have any been done?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

jardine wrote:agreed, kevin. it really does amaze me that so few covers of any of these wonderful songs have been done. Actually, have any been done?
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... rth_covers
jardine

Post by jardine »

thanks for that. A very meager list, i'd say.

so what is it about the songs on North that might account for this? why haven't, e.g., tony bennett or michael bubbly or other "jazz" singers taken up some of these?? unlike some of e.c.s more arcane lyrics/melodies, these are simple and beautiful ...
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
jardine

Post by jardine »

me too, and like I said in response to that earlier post of yours, e.c. really seemed to be adding to the american songbook (so to speak) not just covering it like some others. i think this is one of his deepest wells of ability, uniqueness and craft, including the arrangements that such songs need to be properly held
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

I think many of these songs will find their way into more repertoires as years go on, though I'm surprised they haven't yet.

Sadly the style of music that North was about has lost so much of its grip in any sort of mainstream appeal, and artists like Buble and even Tony Bennett in his age still seem to be heavily controlled by those interests. I'd love to hear Buble offer his interpretation on any of the album's songs (for some reason I think he'd do great justice to "Still" above others), and I suppose there may be some sort of British Columbia connection between Buble and Diana Krall (I would assume, anyway, that artists with both such similar styles and successes in that locale would know each other, which could be totally off base) so maybe the possibility isn't terribly distant. I'm not much of a fan of Buble's songwriting but he is a tremendous singer and interpreter.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This Finnish release includes a instrumental cover of When It Sings - thanks to Jan for e-mailing me about this -
http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/petti ... _melodies/