Neil Goes To War

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I love the sound of the album and the first seven songs are pretty great. I will listen to it a lot when I can afford it. (America the Beautiful bores me and it feels like it's there almost as an apology/disclaimer. Not something I want to hear repeatedly in any case. Roger & Out drags. And I'd rather be watching parking meters than Looking For A Leader.)

Wouldn't it be nice if he toured with this trio and a giant rolling lyric sheet as a backdrop so the fans could impovarrange the back catalogue into sounding like the new album live? The next level of audience participation. (would be shit to stand next to a tone deaf bastard but could be worth it)
What this world needs is more silly men.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Look everybody, Neil's still promising an Archives collection!
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... nterview/3

How about the boxed set? It's been sixteen years --Yeah, it's been a long time. It's a lot of music. It's going to come out, and we get closer and closer to having it finished. I'm not exactly sure when it's coming out, but I don't think it's going to be a year from now when it will be out, I think it will be out before then. We have a lot of it finished now.

Will it be chronological?
Yeah, there will be a series of sets. There are four volumes, and each volume has a number of CDs in it. It's a big set, but it's a chronological thing. It's a trip from my first recording up through the most recent ones. That's how we can divide it up.

Where will the first one stop?
The first one stops in 1971 or '72, I think it's '72.

Is there Squires stuff on there?
Yeah, there's four Squires songs. There's a lot of stuff people haven't heard before.

Is there going to be a video component?
Yes. There's a lot of video stuff that's going to be in it. There's going to be a live performance, actually, two live acoustic performances, solo acoustic performances, that are groups of songs, long groups of songs, full sets. And it's kind of interesting to see the early Seventies and late Sixties that way. With this funky old 16-millimeter film and everything.

I've heard about that Fillmore East show from '70 with Crazy Horse -- is that going to be on there?
I believe that's going to be in the first volume. That's a very, very hot little number right there.

I've heard some of the shows, but never with great sound quality.
These are good. These are eight-tracks -- or eight-track multi-track mix downs.

So do you tape every show you do?
These ones, we're running a digital. I've done a lot of recording and filming of things over the years, just to keep a record. I like to collect things, so I just keep track of it.

Are you thinking of something like Bob Dylan's Bootleg series one day?
That's kind of like what the archives are like, really. It's that kind of a thing. It will be similar to Bob's thing. It's going to be a series of live records -- there are live records over a period of about four years. That's a numbered set that will come out periodically. Some of them will be free; they will be on compilation records where there are new things in them. They're all new things, but some of them are things that have never been on record.

How about the unreleased albums?

Those are all in the archives, and as you chronologically get to that period, if there was a finished album, it will be there, and it will also be possible to listen to the songs in the order they were recorded, so everything in the order it was recorded, that's the way the archive works. You can get to a certain period in time and you see, "Oh, four of these songs were in Homegrown, and that was released a year and a half later," and with the DVD and computers and everything, you can jump around and see how things are connected. It's good, the technology makes it real possible to develop all that. It's almost like a video game of music or something, where you can choose tracks, where they come from in chronology and what albums they were in, even though they're all spread out chronologically. Stuff like that. It's interesting for collectors.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I thought the Buffalo Springfield box was shite. (The first two albums in both stereo and mono with lots of very unfinished demos thrown in - mostly Neil solo and sleepy - but then there's a few fine tracks off Last Time Around that are not included 'cause he feels they weren't representative of the band. A bit like Paul McCartney compiling a 'complete Beatles' box set with George's songs taken off and replaced by his own bedroom tapes.)

But a lot of Neil's best stuff is going to be on there so I'll buy the archives anyway.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Well, it's not Archives... but WEA/Reprise has pencilled in an October 24 release date for Neil Young - Live At Fillmore East.

Considering Neil played his only dates as a solo artist at the Fillmore in 1970 (the rest were in 1969-1970 with CSNY) this is bound to be a good one - probably from March 1970. The question is will it consist of one show or compile highlights from a few.

Here's a sample setlist:

03-06-1970, Late Show, Fillmore East, New York City, New York
w/ Crazy Horse

1. On The Way Home
2. Broken Arrow
3. I Am A Child
4. The Loner
5. The Old Laughing Lady
6. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
7. Winterlong
8. Down By The River
9. Wonderin
10. Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown
11. Cinnamon Girl
12. Cowgirl In The Sand
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I've heard about that Fillmore East show from '70 with Crazy Horse -- is that going to be on there?
I believe that's going to be in the first volume. That's a very, very hot little number right there.
Do we know this is NOT actually the first volume of the Archives?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I guess it very well could be!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

That's a good show. Perfect way to start.

I wonder how the cd will look though. I'm guessing like Dylan's "Royal Albert" bootleg series thingy, with the solo acoustic set on cd1 and the Horse on cd2. But if it's just one show, with just 5 acoustic numbers the first one will be extremely short. I guess an edited version modelled on Live Rust would make sense too.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just picked this up from Billboard - looks like the Fillmore East CD has been delayed until Nov. 14. The good news, though, is that yes, this is indeed the first part of Neil Young's Archives, and it is a CD/DVD package. But only six selections? Surely that's an error, despite the length of songs like "Cowgirl in the Sand" and "Down By The River"

Neil Young Opens Archives For Fillmore CD/DVD

September 22, 2006, 10:15 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Neil Young is finally ready to roll out releases from his long-rumored "Archives Performance" series. First up is "Live at the Fillmore East 1970," due Nov. 14 via Reprise. The album features six as-yet-unannounced selections from Crazy Horse's March 6-7 runs at the New York venue, at a time when late guitarist Danny Whitten was still a member of the band.

"Fillmore" will also be available in a CD/DVD edition featuring a high-resolution audio mix, photos from the show, Young's handwritten song lyrics and press articles from the era.

In addition to core members Whitten, Billy Talbot (bass) and Ralph Molina (drums), the four shows found Crazy Horse augmented by producer Jack Nitzsche on electric piano. Among the songs featured in the set lists were "On the Way Home," "Broken Arrow," "Cinnamon Girl," "Cowgirl in the Sand" and "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere."

Young just wrapped a summer tour with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young but will return to live duty Sept. 30 for Farm Aid in Camden, N.J., and Oct. 21-22 for the Bridge School Benefit outside San Francisco.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

If we look at the sticker in the top left we see NYA - Neil Young Archives?
echos myron like a siren
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Actually the blurb/official review on Amazon confirms this is indeed the first Archives release. Hooray! - although it does have a rather truncated version of the set.
echos myron like a siren
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Live at Fillmore East is out now. Here's what NY Times has to say:

By THE NEW YORK TIMES
NEIL YOUNG AND CRAZY HORSE
“Live at the Fillmore East: March 6 & 7, 1970â€
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

And there are two new DVDs out or something? it's getting confusing. Oh well, Christmas is coming...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

According to this article from today's Globe and Mail, the second volume of Archives will arrive in March. Material culled from two solo-acoustic performance at Toronto's Massey Hall in 1971.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ent/Music/
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The second installment of Neil Young's Archives, Live At Massey Hall 1971 comes out on Tuesday.

The tracklist for the solo-acoustic live recording is as follows:

01 On the Way Home
02 Tell Me Why
03 Old Man
04 Journey Through the Past
05 Helpless
06 Love in Mind
07 A Man Needs a Maid / Heart of Gold Suite
08 Cowgirl in the Sand
09 Don't Let It Bring You Down
10 There's a World
11 Bad Fog of Loneliness
12 The Needle and the Damage Done
13 Ohio
14 See the Sky About to Rain
15 Down by the River
16 Dance Dance Dance
17 I Am a Child

On a personal note, I'm very excited because Red and I won tickets to a release party at the actual Massey Hall where they will screen the DVD portion of the release. It'll be fun!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

BlueChair wrote:The second installment of Neil Young's Archives, Live At Massey Hall 1971 comes out on Tuesday...On a personal note, I'm very excited because Red and I won tickets to a release party at the actual Massey Hall where they will screen the DVD portion of the release. It'll be fun!
That is pretty cool. Meanwhile, I'm drooling over this:

http://www.repriserecords.com/neilarchives/
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

oh yeah mama, that preview of the first vol of archives looks way tasty!
Im drooling too.
echos myron like a siren
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds great. Well done, Blue. Great experience!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It ended up being kind of lame, actually. We went in expecting them to screen the DVD component on a big screen in the actual Massey Hall theatre, but instead they had two little widescreen TVs set up in the bar area downstairs with tables set up. I guess it was more economical that way.

The good news is that they gave us a copy of the CD, which is absolutely riveting - essential for any Neil Young fan, and free alcohol!

I'm also very excited about the Archives box set, but I continue to have my doubts about Neil's ability to stick to his word, even if he's released more new stuff in the past two years than he has in a while.
Otis Westinghouse

Good and bad, then! What a shame it wasn't on a lovely huge screen.

Gonna have to save up for a Neil splurge.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Neil Young Strikes Gold With Archival Release

March 22, 2007, 12:00 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Neil Young has been a consistent presence on The Billboard 200 since the late 1960s, but only once has he ever debuted higher than the No. 6 position enjoyed this week by the Reprise set "Live at Massey Hall," taped in Toronto in 1971. Young previously reached No. 5 with the 1995 album "Mirror Ball," a collaboration with Pearl Jam.

"The tricky part with marketing an artist like this is, how much do you focus on the initial launch and then also save something for afterward?," says Reprise VP of marketing Peter Standish. "We also worked hard to decipher where his audience aggregates and how to reach them in a cost-effective manner."

Standish declined to go into detail about the different strategies the label employed to raise awareness of "Massey Hall," but concedes, "We've been on and off with print in terms of how heavy to advertise, but we decided to be aggressive with it this time and I'm glad we did. The marketplace is changing so rapidly -- a plan that worked six months ago is irrelevant today."

Indeed, there was a concerted effort to promote "Massey Hall" in advance of the September or October release of "Archives Vol. 1," a mammoth boxed set that has been in the works for 10 years and is something of a Holy Grail for Young fans. The project, which covers Young's career from 1963-1972, will feature eight audio CDs, two DVDs and a 200-page book of photos and memorabilia.

"Massey Hall" and last fall's "Live at the Fillmore East" will be included in the box as bonus discs. The remainder of the chronological collection features material cut with Young's early Canadian band the Squires, recordings from the period during which he lived in Topanga Canyon, Calif., scores of previously unreleased studio tracks and a live disc drawn from a week's worth of concerts from the Toronto venue the Riverboat.

"This really is an audio biography, not a boxed set," enthuses Standish, who says three additional "Archives" boxes will follow. "The photos in the book are unbelievable. Those in and of themselves are incredible pieces of art."

The notoriously press-shy Young is expected to do some interviews in support of "Archives" but for now is not planning a tour around the release. "A lot of people don't realize how extensive and intense the Freedom of Speech tour he did with Crosby, Stills & Nash was," says Standish. "I think Neil is taking a little bit of a break at the moment. But you never know what's around the corner. If the muse moves him, anything can happen."
sweetest punch

Re: Neil Goes To War

Post by sweetest punch »

The latest news on The Archives:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003702875

Young Eschewing CDs For 'Archives' Project

Another year, another new twist in the saga of Neil Young's long-in-the-works "Archives" series.

The multi-disc first volume of the project, which has shifted release dates countless times in the past two years, was most recently scheduled to arrive Feb. 19. But Young told Billboard last week that a new technological twist is responsible for the latest delay.

"I know it's in technical production now, but it's only coming out on Blu-ray and DVD," he said during an interview at the Sundance Film Festival, where he and his Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young bandmates unveiled their "Deja Vu" documentary. "There won't be CDs. Technology has caught up to what the concept was in the first place [and] how we're able to actually present it. But there's no doubt it will come out this year."

That's right: no CDs, a format Young has long despised due to its audio limitations. Instead, Young is utilizing DVD capabilities to present an interactive "time line" for the music, allowing users to experience articles and film clips from a song's given era as well as ephemera like lyric sheets.

"Archives" appeared closer than ever to release in October, when Young's new studio album, "Chrome Dreams," was bundled at select retail outlets with a bonus CD with a song from "Live at the Riverboat." That collection, which will appear in "Archives," chronicles a week's worth of concerts taped in Toronto shortly after Buffalo Springfield split.

The package is also expected to include the previously released concert sets "Live at the Fillmore East" and "Live at Massey Hall." The remainder will feature material cut with Young's early Canadian band the Squires, recordings from the period during which he lived in Topanga Canyon, Calif., and scores of previously unreleased studio tracks.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

While I don't doubt that DVD and Blu-Ray offer up better sound quality than CDs, Neil needs to get it through his head that CDs are the standard format for listening to music. People aren't going to be ripping these DVDs or Blu-Rays into iTunes so that they can listen on their iPods. The technology just isn't there yet.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Still no date, but Neil has decided to make the Archive available in regular CD and DVD, along with Blu-Ray:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003830076

Neil Young's 'Archive' To Be Available On CD, DVD

July 22, 2008 , 10:25 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit
With "CSNY: Deja Vu," his documentary of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's controversial 2006 Freedom of Speech Tour, rolling out this week, Neil Young says his upcoming musical plans mostly involve his long-in-the-works "Archive" series as well as hitting the road.

This fall, the "Archive" series will begin to roll out with a 10-disc set of performances from 1963-72. Contrary to previous reports, and Young's own comments in the media, the set will be available in standard CD and DVD configurations and not exclusively in Blu-ray, but Young says he hopes fans will take advantage of the state-of-the-art format.

"Blu-ray is the future," Young tells Billboard. "It sounds the best, the navigating system is the best. I've made a lot of CDs and we've made a lot of DVDs, and Blu-ray technology is so far superior to anything else. The fact there aren't many players out there now doesn't meant that much to me, because it is the future, so I would rather focus on what's next. If you were to get a Blu-ray of the 'Archive,' you would get the best."

Young is also confident that the next volume of the "Archive" series will come in short order. "We've developed the platform," he says. "We have the format. We have everything together to do it. It just took 15 years to develop this platform and also to wait for technology that was strong enough for the platform to stand on."

As for live performances, Young says he'll "be touring pretty extensively for the next year, year-and-a-half," Young says. "That's what I'm focusing on. Playing for people with a great band is very rewarding. It's very good for me -- it keeps me in top form physically, and that makes me feel good.

"And I've found a way of doing it so I'm on and I'm off and I can get enough time on that I can focus on (other projects) and then I go right back out on the road again and take another couple shots at that."

Young does note, "as far as new music, there's just a few things that are going on, but nothing to speak of. Usually when it happens with me, it doesn't happen 'cause I planned it. It just happens. As fortunate as I have been so far, there'll be new music coming along the pike."

Young resumes touring Aug. 7 in Helsinki, playing in Europe throughout August and returning home for the Farm Aid concert Sept. 20 in Mansfield, Mass.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

From ThrashersWheat:

Dates for Neil Young's North American Fall 2008 tour have been announced. The news confirms some of the rumors we've been following recently. From Live Nation:

October 14 - St. Paul, MN -- Xcel Energy Center / on sale August 22
October 16 - Winnipeg, MN -- MTS Centre / on sale August 22
October 18 - Regina, SK -- Brandt Centre / on sale August 22
October 19 - Calgary, AB -- Pengrowth Saddledome / on sale August 22
October 21 - Everett, WA -- Comcast Arena at Everett / on sale
September 12
October 22 - Vancouver, BC -- GM Place / on sale August 22
October 29 - San Diego, CA -- Cox Arena / on sale August 25
October 30 - Los Angeles, CA -- The Forum / on sale August 25

November 1 - Reno, NV -- Events Center / on sale August 23
November 4 - Kansas City, MO -- Sprint Center / on sale September 12
November 5 - Omaha, NE -- Qwest Center / on sale September 12
November 29 - Halifax, NS -- Metro Centre / on sale August 23

December 1 - Montreal, PQ -- Bell Centre / on sale September 13
December 2 - Ottawa, ON -- Scotia Bank Place / on sale August 22
December 4 - Toronto, ON -- Air Canada Centre / on sale August 22
December 7 - Detroit, MI -- Palace of Auburn Hills / on sale
September 12
December 9 - Chicago, IL -- Allstate Arena / on sale September 12
December 12 - Philadelphia, PA -- Wachovia Spectrum / on sale
September 19
December 15 - New York, NY -- Madison Square Garden / on sale
September 15

The concerts will feature the same band that he has toured Europe with: Ben Keith, Rick Rosas, Chad Cromwell, Anthony Crawford and Pegi Young.

Death Cab For Cutie and Everest will support dates from October 14 through November 5; Wilco and Everest are on the bill for dates starting November 29 through the tour's conclusion, with the exception of the December 9 Chicago date which will feature (TBD) and Everest in support.

Probably one of the most interesting aspects of the announcement is that all shows for this tour will be general admission floor with reserved seating in the stands. This is great news for those of us who had to be restrained from standing and moving during "No Hidden Path".

General admission tickets will be prices at $75.00 with reserved stand tickets ranging in price from $45.00 to $250.00.

Thanks Chicago!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

So I picked up a used copy of "Living With War: In The Beginning", which Neil released at the end of 2006. It's got the initial rough mixes of all the songs on the album, plus a DVD based on the content of his LWW Today site. I hadn't sat through the documentary videos on the site before this, and I was surprised to see the Imposters' own Davey Faragher in the "choir"! You can see him several times in the link(s) below.

http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/lwwvi ... oc_wm.html (Windows Media)
http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/lwwvi ... oc_qt.html (QuickTime)