Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Joan Baez covers The Scarlet Tide

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003805760

Joan Baez Looks Toward 'Tomorrow'

May 20, 2008, 2:35 PM ET

Laura Leebove, N.Y.

As first tipped here in March, folk veteran Joan Baez is readying a new album for fall release. "Day After Tomorrow" is due Sept. 9 via Bobolink/Razor & Tie Entertainment and was produced by Steve Earle.

The 10-track album, recorded in Nashville, comes close to the 50th anniversary of Baez's first performances at Club 47 in Cambridge, Mass. It features three songs written by Earle ("God is God," "I Am A Wanderer," "Jericho Road") as well as compositions by Elvis Costello ("Scarlet Tide"), Tom Waits ("Day After Tomorrow") and Patty Griffin ("Mary"), among others.

"She's one of the great interpreters of songs alive on the planet," Earle told Billboard.com. "We started out with seven songs she brought to the table that she arrived at by hearing them. Some of them she'd already started performing, so we started out with songs she very much wanted to sing."

Accompanying Baez on the album is the acoustic quintet of Tim O'Brien, Darrell Scott, Viktor Krauss, Kenny Malone and Earle.

"Day After Tomorrow" is Baez's first studio album since 2003's "Dark Chords on a Big Guitar." In 2005, she released a live album, "Bowery Songs." Earlier this year, she performed an anniversary show at the Passim Center -- formerly Club 47 -- and also accepted a lifetime achievement award from Club Passim.

Baez will be on tour in Europe this summer, including a June 29 appearance at the U.K.'s Glastonbury Festival. Her first New York shows in four years are also set for Oct. 28-29 at Town Hall.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

An interview with Ms Baez in The Word ( July ) refers to a song ,The Rose Of Sharon ,on her upcoming album as being by Elvis and T Bone. A Google search indicates that this is a mistake, with accounts of Baez concerts saying it is by Eliza Gilkyson.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

John Foyle - what's the deal on the lyrics? I searched the net (not very extensively I might add.) Is this a free domain tune? It's deep in the Christian principle, it seems. Unless, I found the wrong tune/lyric.

Whatever, really.. Joan Baez just annoys me. Ideally, if Joan B could always approach a stage and quickly move left .- keep going, more, one more step, left, left, one more step, more steps left - yes, more, behind the curtain.. perfect.. I am happy now.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I have long wanted to write a short story - heck, even a novel - in which the main character was named Rose of Sharon Jenkins.

If I just had talent...

I like JB ok, mostly because I have a double live album of hers that was one of the first records I ever owned. And Diamonds & Rust *is* a pretty brilliant song.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Diamonds And Rust is a good song.. Judas Priest do a good version of it, too. But she should stop being such a Dylan hanger-on-er. She's covered about half his songs by now I reckon... someone should ban her from doing any more.

I was tickled to read recently in the first Dylan biography, Bob Dylan by Anthony Scaduto (written 1971 . pg57), Dylan say the following around 1961 after he'd met Woody Guthrie and shown him his song Song To Woody:

A little later, after he met Joan Baez sometime in March or April, friends remember him saying: "Joanie wants to sing my 'Song to Woody.' But I ain't gonna let her. Don't like her. Don't want her to do any song about Woody because she don't know Woody." :lol:

This was while she had a considerably higher profile than he. It seems he used her quite a bit, appearing as her guest regularly for a while, charming the audience with duets with her and such, until his got bigger.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Will Scarlet Tide feature ?

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/ ... n-october/

Joan Baez: Sing Me Home Premieres on PBS in October

Posted by Alex Shoaf on August 4th, 2009

On October 14, PBS series American Masters will debut an installment called Joan Baez: Sing Me Home.
Baez, who just celebrated her 50th year as a performer at this year’s Newport Folk Festival, has enjoyed a colorful and enduring musical career. According to a press release, the film “examines her history as a recording artist and performer as well as her remarkable journey as the conscience of a generation.”

The bulk of the film focuses on Baez’s most recent tour.
Viewers will find her “in performance as well as intimate conversations with individuals whose lives parallel hers. From a stop in Sarajevo, Bosnia…to Nashville.” Though the film highlights the 2008/2009 tour, some archive material documents Baez’s time in Vietnam, her prison visit from Martin Luther King, Jr., and her 1959 Newport Folk Festival appearance.

In addition to plenty of footage featuring Baez, the film will include live clips and exclusive interviews with the likes of David Crosby, Bob Dylan, and Reverend Jesse Jackson.

“From an early age, Joan Baez had the courage of her convictions, says American Masters executive producer Susan Lacy. “Her artistry and her commitment to human rights make her a musical and political force as relevant as when she first started.” Though Sing Me Home will be but a glimpse into the life of a legend, fans can expect a good show, encompassing all facets of Baez’s illustrious career.

Joan Baez: Sing Me Home premiers October 14 at 8 p.m. EST on PBS (check local listings). One day prior to the film’s broadcast, fans can pick up the DVD/CD release from retailers nationwide.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

This should be called, "Joan Baez: Please Don't Sing. Go Home." This is harsh. Sorry. Glad to see she is touring in the UK in the fall. There will be no chance of seeing her at Hardly Strictly... Ouch, sorry, again. Gotta go.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Saw Joan at Royal Festival Hall in London last Friday; Scarlet Tide was sung.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

And so... How was it? I guess your comment w/out any highlights, says it all. Sorry, again dissing JB. Who I am I to judge. I just wouldn't be a mile w/in that performance. I'd rather pick up knitting for a night.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmO3JiH48aE

Joan Baez
performing the song Scarlet Tide at the Chautauqua Auditorium in Boulder, CO on 7/18/09. A scene from the Boulder Vidcast TV show and vidcast.