The Ashes

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Still love the Aussies anyway (*blows kisses*) but you really are terrible losers!
I thought they were pretty gracious in defeat after losing the Ashes - especially Warne.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
John

Post by John »

Well done, our chaps!
England struggled with only 2 decent bowlers in Flintoff and Hoggard.
Jones was missed, Giles is average and someone needs to get Harmison angry.
Bell got 0 in 2 innings and our wicket-keeper continues to drop the ball.
How did we manage it?!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Jackson Monk wrote:Oh I get it...when the Aussies win something it's cos they're better than the whinging poms.....when we win something, it's just a temporary blip until the Aussies win it back again....phew....the sourest of grapes.
Hang on a minute their Jackson... please show me where I said anything about the ashes win being a "temporary blip"? I thought I would take a reasonable line and suggest that the sign of a truly good side is one that can win on foreign soil and you take that as an attack on England's abilities as a cricket team?? I never considered the Australian team to be a great team until they could win a series on Indian soil, so that was definitely not intended as a slur on the England team's win in this series... they did a great job in what was a very close series.

Oh, and I can only see one person in this discussion talking of "whinging poms" and it sure aint me.
It really is an understatement to say the Australian Union side have done nothing since the last world cup....they have gone into free fall........hammered repeatedly in the tri-nations. Ok, so the convicts are pretty good at Rugby League........but they only have a few Pie and chip eaters from Wigan to compete against. It's a minority sport in England, let alone the world. England lost the heart of their team after the world cup in 2002...the Aussies never had a heart to lose! :lol:
I couldn't agree with you more on the state of the union (of which I am no big fan) here in Australia, and as far as rugby league goes, I really couldn't care less as I don't follow the game at all (cross country wrestling); I am a devoted Australian Rules Football follower.

You refer to the Aussies as bad losers and yet you are the one using the language one would normally associate with a bad loser... "convicts", "no heart to lose", "hammered repeatedly"... is it possible that you are just a bad winner?
We kicked your asses in the ashes with the best side and the best players. Even Ponting quit winging and accepted it. :lol:
If you consider what was essentially a two run win in terms of the entire series an ass kicking (had the third test been a drawn game, the ashes would not have changed hands), then all I can say is that you really must have a hell of a lot of respect for the Australian team ;)
Still love the Aussies anyway (*blows kisses*) but you really are terrible losers!
I reciprocate the first half of the above sentence, but as for the bad losers part... well, I think I stated what I believe, above.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

and Aussies always take the bait as well....... :wink:
corruptio optimi pessima
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Jackson Monk wrote:and Aussies always take the bait as well....... :wink:
Must note that one down for future reference... "escape clause 5a" ;)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Jackson Monk wrote:
bambooneedle wrote:The only sport Australia doesn't beat England in on a regular basis is soccer...
hmmm...slight bollox that Mr Needle.

Last Rugby World Cup....The Ashes.....World Tddley Winks Championship.

In Short, when was the last time the Aussies beat the English at anything worthwhile.......except contracting skin cancer.
I'm talking in terms of a bit of longevity here-- over the decades, we have consistently killed you in a majority of sports. Certainly in the BigMan team sports, that's for sure.

Besides in them, we always wallop your arses in tennis and swimming, to name but a couple of the more crowd-pleasing sports. I think tennis is boring as fuck, but we beat you there. Or heard about "The Thorpedo" making a splash in the pool? Australia's swim teams are untouchable ... We also kill you in stuff like surfing, naturally... But we'll see how you do at the next Commonwealth Games...
Last edited by bambooneedle on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

bambooneedle wrote:Our swim teams are untouchable ... We also kill you in stuff like surfing, naturally
Well of course, you live on an island...!! what chance have we....

oh, wait a minute...forget that...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

And has England ever been any good at basketball?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

It's not fair to quote Swimming and Tennis as examples.

In the UK you have to be Called Sir Alisdair Frimley-Charleswick-Rothermere in order to join a tennis club (unless you're from South Africa or Canada).

The only swimming pool near me has rusty showers and smells of wee. There is still a sign telling youths that 'petting' is forbidden. The choccy/crisps machine only sells things you haven't seen since 1978 - Caramac, Poppets and Bovril Hula Hoops spring to mind.

We Brits were also put off swimming by Rolf Harris, telling us how when he was a kid, he fell in the creek and nearly drowned (anyone else remember that public information film..."kids and the water........they love it).

No, the British will continue to excel at Curling, Under 16 Judo, 12.5 bore pistol shooting, Netball and Lacrosse. None of your pussy sports like Tennis and Swimming!
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:There is still a sign telling youths that 'petting' is forbidden.
Hope that's not what I think it is.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Jackson Monk wrote: the British will continue to excel at Curling
Speaking of which, did y'all see this a while back? You need to click on the video.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4518397

What can I say, half my family were Scottish Canadians.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:There is still a sign telling youths that 'petting' is forbidden.
Hope that's not what I think it is.
It's like dogging :lol:

Jackson - get me a Caramac will you? I'll pay you with some of the old 5 pence pieces.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?