song interpretations

Pretty self-explanatory
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

johnfoyle wrote:http://blogs.salon.com/0001137/2005/04/29.html

Elvis vs. Reality (TV)
by
Dave CullenI refused to direct you to someone who spelled the freaking title wrong. In the title and throughout the song. (You won't normally find me playing the spelling nazi, but this is Allison, for God's sake.)
Priceless! Where do these people crawl from....?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

David Cullen's blog wrote:(Hey, sort of the theme of the bible, too, isn't it? Man, I've got God on the brain this morning. But isn't that the big tension of that book: the angry, spiteful God always threatening to smite you at any moment, and the kind, loving earnest God, whose intentions are always true?)

What a dorkus.
Pidgin

Post by Pidgin »

Dorkus?

Bamboo, you're entire image is changing.
millen

Post by millen »

so lacklustre wrote:Apart from Kinder Murder :wink: .
Funny you should mention this one.

Isn't this one about a girl-meets-boy in a bar.
They have sex, followed by pregancy, denial from the father, abortion.
The abortion being the kinder murder.
And it's all the girls fault, because she could have kept her knees together, could have kept her mouth shut

?
Zombies man, they freak me out.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

millen wrote: And it's all the girls fault, because she could have kept her knees together, could have kept her mouth shut
Bloody typical - blame it on the woman!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
millen

Post by millen »

Gillibeanz wrote: Bloody typical - blame it on the woman!! :lol:
Yea, man are such bastards. :!:
Zombies man, they freak me out.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Pidgin wrote:Bamboo, you're entire image is changing.
Yours too... my how you've changed!
Pidgin

Post by Pidgin »

Gosh,... I didn't think anyone would notice.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

As we are now ranking Mighty Like A Rose, one question that has always bothered me about CCIU lyrics : is it
a) I can't believe , I'll never believe ...
or
b) I can't believe I'll never believe ... [no comma]
Last edited by invisible Pole on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

There's a comma in the booklet lyrics, but I'm not sure that's Elvis' choice. I think he wants an open end and that plays a big part in it being one of my faves of his. I hear it differently at different times.

I used that as an example in class once when I was a teacher to illustrate the difference between song lyrics and written poetry, that you have to listen (because there were some Dylan lyrics in their text book - a few of them didn't 'get' Subterranean Homesick Blues until I made a rap out of it). That and Just A Memory, where the tone of voice negates the words in the chorus. they thought it was interseting, so for the next lesson I played some of Pads Paws & Claws in a minor key arrangement I made up for the occasion and then the original to show how the musical background is often as important as the voice for the lyrics. (sort of what Bruce did with All The Way Home and Born In The USA)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I seem to remember reading Elvis saying that he meant no comma, and wanted the song and album to end on an optimistic and hopeful note.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Complicated Shadows is 'bout Cash (and gangster life)
How to be Dumb is 'bout Bruce,
WIWC is all 'bout the bitch (O'Riorden) lol (xcept 45 and tear off your head)
After the fall is 'bout their relationship
Monkey to man is a response to the original "Monkey" and Darwin's theory of evolution
Pidgin English is about slang
Brilliant Mistake is the story of an Immigrant to america (and americanisation)
I know a part of Tokyo Storm Warning says other countries couldn't give a damn about what's happenin in the west (argentina and japan for example)
God's Comic was written as a repsone to his trip to Greenland
Kinder murder is a story about a murder (it must mean more that that though)
this year's model is well, about models and their fakeness in general
North is about his lost marriage and recovery with Krall
The Other Side of Summer is a parody regarding the beach boys

And that's some I can remeber, other I just get bits and pieces about them as I'm hearing them. Every Costello song means something, mostly about love and his own misfortunes, sometimes about other things. North was the most straightforward thing he's ever done. Interesting subject! :)
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I don't think Kinder Murder is necessarily about a murder, really. Think little death.
Last edited by King Hoarse on Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I think it's important to set that kinder murder is its setting if you want to analyse it. It's not a straightforward boy meets girl in a bar story (this is Elvis after all!) as Jimmy is in the Forces. It gives the song a different twist.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Have you all forgotton that Kinder Murder is a cryptic song about a famous english racehorse called Red Rum (anagram of murder).
signed with love and vicious kisses
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Is it really? That's odd. In the song lyrics it mentions Jimmy (an army soldier) and a girl he met in a bar, which he eventually beat her sensless (to death?). I think it's gotta have a meaning to it (like murders in America or soldiers and their social wreck). Whatever the song is about, I tihnk it fits very well in Brutal Youth. Great album! :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:Have you all forgotton that Kinder Murder is a cryptic song about a famous english racehorse called Red Rum (anagram of murder).
Don't start that one again!

thomasso - this relates to a thread we had a little while ago about Kinder Murder but is now lost (I think) because the old board crashed.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Can anyone enlighten me as to the meanings of 'Last Boat leaving'? I did ask Elvis on the old site but alas he ignored me- a bit like my family when im asking them to do a chore! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

I vaguely remember reading that it was about his grandfather's trips to America...
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

thomasso wrote:Is it really? That's odd. In the song lyrics it mentions Jimmy (an army soldier) and a girl he met in a bar, which he eventually beat her sensless (to death?). I think it's gotta have a meaning to it (like murders in America or soldiers and their social wreck). Whatever the song is about, I tihnk it fits very well in Brutal Youth. Great album! :D
Dunno, am leaning towards "other" interpretations on that one.... when EC performed the song in Knoxville TN this past March, he substituted a very deliberate word for the original....... original "left her senseless".....live in K-town "f***ed her senseless" with extra emphasis on the f***ed. The abortion slant sounds like a good probability.....the "little death" I hadn't thought of before, but am now gonna have to relisten to it with THAT in mind...hehheh.....
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

The little death is an old metaphor for an orgasm, which I think EC first used in Kid About It. So as an extended metaphor, murder would be rape, or very close (kinder).[/i]
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Wow this song just gets worse and worse. First she's brutally beaten, now she's raped. I wonder what inspired this song?
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

thomasso wrote: I wonder what inspired this song?
Well apparently Elvis doesn't believe in abortion, so a strong belief like that could definitely inspire him to write about it...if that's even what it is about, which I thought it was. I didn't really see any evidence of her being beaten.

I wanted to ask, what is a "ram-rider"? In context, I assumed it's a baby carriage, but I can't find anything on the subject.
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
lemo

Post by lemo »

plus, isnt kinder german for child, which would give the title a double meaning?
sometimes i almost feel just like a human being
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

MistakenForLilies wrote:
thomasso wrote: I wonder what inspired this song?
Well apparently Elvis doesn't believe in abortion, so a strong belief like that could definitely inspire him to write about it...if that's even what it is about, which I thought it was. I didn't really see any evidence of her being beaten.

I wanted to ask, what is a "ram-rider"? In context, I assumed it's a baby carriage, but I can't find anything on the subject.
A ram-rider is someone who drives his (or her, I suppose) car through the front window of a store to loot it--just the sort of thing the thuggish Jimmy might do!