Most Overrated Band/Artist Ever

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

oh and most of all. This extremely popular Danish band Kashmir - horrible :shock:
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Michael Jackson
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I still say Stevie Nicks!
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I know i might get some nasty replies but i have to say it.

The Clash. i like some of their songs but i just can't see how amazing everyone else things they are.

also the New York Dolls.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

cosmos wrote:I still say Stevie Nicks!
Shucks! I was going to request Rhiannon and Edge of Seventeen on the radio show!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Well, I don't mind "If Anyone Falls". You can request that, and I'll play it!

Not a fan of the Doors, but I am a fan of Robby Krieger's guitar playing!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Simple Minds
Sting
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
alexv

Post by alexv »

Neil Young
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Have to agree about The Clash, a hugely overrated singles band. Another artist who leaves me cold is Beck. Technically brilliant, there is little or no charm about what he does. I feel much the same way about David Byrne, though I love most of his work with Talking Heads.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Even London Calling?

I always thought of The Sex Pistols as the overrated ones and The Clash as the underappreciated ones. Most people 'round here know the Clash for "Rock The Casbah", "Should I Stay Or Should I Go", and little else.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

strangerinthehouse wrote:I know i might get some nasty replies but i have to say it.

The Clash. i like some of their songs but i just can't see how amazing everyone else things they are.

also the New York Dolls.
You are wrong. Except for the part about the New York Dolls.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

MartinFoyle wrote -

The Clash, a hugely overrated singles band
No no no. - Three great albums (four if you count the American version of "The Clash") - At the height of their powers (1979-1980) - as important as any band ever .... they then turned into cartoon characters and their act wore thin - but for a short time they were incredible.

And Beck's great as well....I've seen him live a couple of times and he's as good as I've ever seen. At the HORDE festival a few years back he opened for Neil Young and Crazy Horse - and old Neil was a major anti-climax after Beck.....soy un perdedor
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm gonna have to add in my defence of Neil Young here.

He's been around a long time so he has a lot of duds, but Harvest, After The Goldrush, Tonight's The Night, and On The Beach are all brilliant albums that have stood the test of time.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

BlueChair wrote:Even London Calling?

I always thought of The Sex Pistols as the overrated ones and The Clash as the underappreciated ones. Most people 'round here know the Clash for "Rock The Casbah", "Should I Stay Or Should I Go", and little else.
I agree BC....The Clash were fantastic and 'London Calling' one of the best albums EVER....

The pistols made one good album of the same great song played lots of different ways.....
corruptio optimi pessima
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

martinfoyle wrote:Have to agree about The Clash, a hugely overrated singles band. Another artist who leaves me cold is Beck. Technically brilliant, there is little or no charm about what he does. I feel much the same way about David Byrne, though I love most of his work with Talking Heads.
Would have agreed about Beck until 'Sea Change' came out- an incredibly honest, heartfelt record with some cracking good tunes on it.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Lucinder Williams and Emmylou Harris - my reasons ? - they sound like 2 drunken ole biddies :lol:

Kylie Minogue - I know you guys think she has a nice arse - but she sounds like shes singing out of it!! :lol:

ACDC - hideous vocals :?
Last edited by Gillibeanz on Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The pistols can hardly be overrated as everyone knows they were musically challenged, they had a major impact on musical direction though and one great album.

I think the Clash are a bit overrated but they still did some incredible stuff.

Agree wholeheartedly with Abba couln't stand them, still can't.

Bryan Adams
Ryan Adams
Duran Duran
Any band named after a city (Boston, Chicago etc.)
Madonna
Maradonna
10cc
Frank Sinatra
Beethoven
ACDC
INXS
Crowded House
Kylie
signed with love and vicious kisses
alexv

Post by alexv »

Blue Chair what you say about Neil may well be established opinion on the man, and may be a consensus of opinion in fact. I chose to list him as overrated because I think that the level of credit given to these career achievements that you list, and others, is overrated. I am not saying he sucks, or that he hasn't made some good records. I just think that the praise he has received for what he has done is excessive, and makes him overrated. Personally, I've always hated his voice, which affects my appreciation of even his best lyrics.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Beethoven is overrated? I'd like to see you compose timeless symphonies and sonatas when you're completely deaf, so lack :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Beethoven is overrated? I'd like to see you compose timeless symphonies and sonatas when you're completely deaf, so lack
Pop round next time you're in the vicinity (Thursday evening is usually my timeless symphony night and will try it with earmuffs on)
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

no one's mentioned Green Day yet. I know I'm not alone on that one.
miss buenos aires

Conor Oberst
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Glassjaw
miss buenos aires

BlueChair wrote:Glassjaw
Overrated by everyone, not just whar!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Oof, my bad :lol: