Any Kentucky posters?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

whar, whenever you write "ONA" I think of the only word I know that starts with those letters...maybe I'm the one who's sophomoric and crotch-centered.

Anyway, you might want to reconsider your career as a trendsetter. Just saying.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

MIss BA..fill me in...what starts with ONA?? am big time curious now....Onanere means masterbate in Danish....but can't think of any thing in English he he.................
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
miss buenos aires

How funny, Cope, that the words are so similar in Danish and English. I guess because it's an eponym.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Miss Ba...i'm clueless right now...not lucid as in my Politcal Commentary days that you acknowledged!

Danish is similar to English...it's kinda uncanny! Danish words usually look a bit like the 4th or 5th word in the dictionary. Sometimes even a bit yiddish, but that's probably because of their relationship to German. :lol:

Give me a word and I'll translate it *LOL* oooorv NEW GAME..
miss buenos aires

Onan was a guy in the Bible who "spilled his seed," and got, I don't know, smitten or something. No word on whether he went blind or got hairy palms.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

OOOOOOOOOH BIGTIME....hence the word ONANERE! Danes are tricky! Where's VON HINDENBERG when I need him??? hæ hæ

Too bad DONG only means DanskeOlie&NaturGas in Danish.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I explained what ONA meant in my post.
miss buenos aires

I know what you mean by it, whar!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

WHAR,

I've heard Opie & Anthony. They were on a few years back here in Dallas. They were stupid.

I don't think Howard is funny either, though Opie and Anthony sounded an awful lot like his show. Whatever dude. If you really think this is the best thing in comedy right now, then you're entitled. But to say it's NOT sophomoric and crotch-relayed is delusional.

Big surprise.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

noise, it really isnt delusional. I listen to it every day, I know exactly what it is.

This is useless, has been since the start. Obviously you're firm in your position, so until you decide to listen to it (the new show, a full show)- I agree to disagree.

*EDIT: to help this compromise along- I want to clarify that I am aware there are a lot of crotch jokes on the show. Ofcourse they say naughty words and they talk about risky subjects- but they don't just do it it without meaning. It isn't weightless comedy about pee-pee and doo-doo. There is a lot this show has to offer, and I was just trying to get that across.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Are we still talking about this? Really?

For real?

Okay.

I've never heard Opie and Anthony, but Indianapolis is home to Bob and Tom, which is about as white-boy-in-a-baseball-cap-show-us-your-titties stupid as it can get.

Still, WHAR, baby, I got your back on this one. Kind of. I mean, even some of the stuff I loved as a youngster (Adam Sandler) and love now (Dave Chappelle) is sophomoric. Yes, Dave Chappelle. It's simple and crude, and that's why I love it. So, maybe "ONA" isn't everyone's can of Natty Light. So be it. There must be something to love about it if they're so popular. Shit, Britney Spears has platinum albums, after all.

Just quit it with the radio whoring, eh?
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Anyone heard of the 'Frum Frum and Pickles Jamboree' on 1034 K-PONY....they are two zany guys, always talking about nudie mags, which burger store is coolest, and how dumb President Bush is (anyone noticed yet...he looks like a chimp sometimes!)...one time I laughed so hard, I nearly barfed all over my collection of The Offspring LPs.

They have changed my life for the better though - I now prefer Tab lite to Tab classic, am an active participant in high-school politics (hopfully this year I will get to decide where the seats get put for the Happy Winterval barn dance) and have been introduced to the wisdom of L Ron Hubbard.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

laughingcrow wrote:Anyone heard of the 'Frum Frum and Pickles Jamboree' on 1034 K-PONY....they are two zany guys, always talking about nudie mags, which burger store is coolest, and how dumb President Bush is (anyone noticed yet...he looks like a chimp sometimes!)...one time I laughed so hard, I nearly barfed all over my collection of The Offspring LPs.

They have changed my life for the better though - I now prefer Tab lite to Tab classic, am an active participant in high-school politics (hopfully this year I will get to decide where the seats get put for the Happy Winterval barn dance) and have been introduced to the wisdom of L Ron Hubbard.
O&A are realistic about their politics (even though I dont agree with them), and they hate zany wacky disc jockeys.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Well, it's ludicrous to suggest that having heard several complete episodes previously, I have to listen to another one to have an informed opinion. The reason I found those articles so quickly was that I knew exactly what I was looking for. I teach a course on Pop Culture, and i do a whole unit on radio, including shock jocks. I know more than enough about their show to have already made up my mind. I'm excessively well-informed about US pop culture. It's what I have a masters dgree in.

What you don't want to accept is that others don't find clever what you find clever. And it's not just Opie and Anthony. It's Glassjaw, Zach Braff's hair, and a host of other stuff you talk about to no one in particular all the time.

And what's absolutely hilarious is that you first bristled at the description of the show as sophomoric and crotch-related, and you yourself admit that that's a regular part of the show's content. That's all I was saying in the first place. But SLC is right about one thing; it's not at all surprising that you like it. It's meant for boys your age specifically (that it's made by men pushing 40 is kind of sad...). You're welcome to dig it. But, like Glassjaw, you post about it ad nauseum and then get defensive when no one shares your interest and others ask you to stop. You can call this a board war if you like. I'd call it a genuine request for you to post something that other people might actually want to discuss. As it is, we're having a meta-discussion about discussing the topic. But even three pages in, not a single person besides you has jumped in to say anything like "Thanks for the recommendation, WHAR. I'll check it out." Or "I love those guys; I'm so stoked that they're going to XM." Or anything. Just derision, from all sides. Not just from me. Move on.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

It isn't sophomoric crotch comedy was my argument. I argued it because it is much more than that. I compared it to George Carlin and judging him on his seven dirty words.

Noise, I accepted you don't like it. Now you accept that I do like it. If you feel a certain way- okay, don't start an argument about it. It's okay to move on. There is a lot of stuff on this board I don't like that I choose not to voice my opinion on- do me the same favor.

I have one Glassjaw thread that is active, I keep all Glassjaw/Head Automatica/Daryl Palumbo news in there. Don't wanna read about it? Good, don't click into it.

You've been trying to bait me into a second ban- and given a bit more effort I would have gladly fallen into the trap. Stop with your mindless arguing. I have made my points, and made them clear- yet you still do not understand them.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I get your arguments. I just think you're wrong. Which is fine.

As for George Carlin, there's a huge differencre between his "7 Dirty Words" bit and "Sex for Sam," in or out of context. First, Carlin's bit was on stage, said in front of people who wanted to listen to him. They paid, and they have to risk that what he says won't be to their tastes. I'd say the Opie and Anthony bit was the same--no one has to listen. Except their bit involved inflicting something on people in public who are victims of their "humor." People in St. Pat's there to worship or pray don't deserve to have two contestants going at it in public for anyone's amusement. If it were a mosque a synagogue or any other place people consider to be a holy site, it would be just as uncalled for. And every other public place should be free from that sort of thing as well. The library, the park,allt hese places belong to the public. Children are likely to be there. And to say "make sure children aren't around" isn't enough. No one deserved to be subjected to that display. Yes the two agree that it was a mistake, but they also make a lot of excuses for something inexcusable.

The other difference is that Carlin's bit was actually making some statement about the first amendment right s of freedom of speech. It's not a statement I happen to agree with, but it was intelligently written, thought-provoking, and very funny. It's right up there with Lenny Bruce's "Blah Blah Blah" routine, wherein he never says a single bad word and yet delivers one of the most filthy monologues of his career--all in the clear effort of defending free speech in a private club. That's something to at least consider. Broadcasting filth based on a prank that victimizes bystanders for a giggle on public airwaves is not even in the same ballpark as Carlin, Bruce, or even Chappele.

Now again, I have seen little about Chappele. But based on what many people here have posted as examples of his best humor, I am not much impressed. The "n" word is incredibly offensive to me, even when it's uttered by an African-American. I don't have to watch his show. But with Opie and Anthony, who knows what some moron might do in front of me and my kids for them to get their jollies?

Now, I'm honestly not trying to convince you. I'm expressing my opinion; you're welcome to yours. And I'll make a deal with you. If you limit your Opie & Anthony stuff to this thread, and limit your Glassjaw stuff to the current Glassjaw thread, I won't make another peep.

Is it a deal?
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

No, it's not a deal.

I am going to be the bigger man and just ignore you.

I will not limit myself on this board to please a bitter, aging man. I won't be bullied, especially by you Noise.

We are all Elvis Costello fans. In this case, we're posting in THE ANNEX, where any topic is allow. When there is something I feel is important, I will post it. If you don't like that, take it up with the Administration and have them delete the Annex- or, just don't read these two specific threads.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Brian Regan- the cleanest comedian in the business, will be making another appearance on Opie & Anthony this week.

Brian Regan is a great comedian, he works completely clean. I strongly suggest you all check out his material.

Brian, despite having a different comic style, frequently appears on ONA because he knows what they're about. He knows there will be cuss jokes and peepee reference, but he knows that they are done with reason and done with brilliance.

ONA are the best thing comedy has going. They bring up young comedians from. After Tough Crowd was cancelled- they need a new forum to voice their opinion, and ONA provides the business with that. They had the number 1 radio show in America- not for nothing.

EDIT: The guys from the Chapelle Show will be appearing on ONA this week as well.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Well so there you go. I doubt you'll ignore me (though I'd accept that as a wokable plan B). But I would prefer the following: I will still do what I said if you keep Opie here and Glassjaw on its thread. If you do that, you won't hear from me here or there, and I won't take any swipes at you about either topic anywhere else either. In fact, if you'll be civil, I won't take swipes at you about anything anywhere.

So, be the big man. I'd love that.
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

All this talk about tasteless humor makes me yearn for the old Eddie Murphy rutine.....he was the funniest dude I've ever seen.........
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

noiseradio wrote:In fact, if you'll be civil, I won't take swipes at you about anything anywhere.
Civil? That really doesn't cover much.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Jesus..CIVIL....I've never heard Noize plead for anything in my life??!!!!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I think at one point he was pleading with you regarding tranny blow jobs....I can't quite remember if he was for them or against them though... and threads been lost, so we'll never know for sure.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

BOY..i think he pleaded a bit for me not to "force" him to try it...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I'm not sure he's pleading.

Cope, I think the past tense of plead (rhyming with seed) is plead (rhyming with bed).
Last edited by bambooneedle on Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.