Elvis Costello is scheduled to perform at the Grammy Awards

Pretty self-explanatory
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Umm, I would like that as well, Misha. :)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Sting thing happened last night . Elvis did a version of Mad About You , from Sting`s Soul Cages album. Here`s a pic

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 056099.jpg

- Elvis accompanied himself on ukulele , just like on that tv show.
eric

Post by eric »

pip_52 wrote:Would anyone be willing to record this for me? I would really love to see it . . .

Please?
I will record it and post an mpeg
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Granted I missed much of it so far, but this could be the worst Grammys ever!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i just turned it on.

i really liked (NOT) how they switched from commercials, to the roll call of the dead, segue directly into the warren zevon tribute, then right on back to commercials.

great work folks. lotsa commercials.

going to go to sleep. y'all take care.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Did Elvis even perform at all?

I'm just glad Justin Timberlake didn't win Album Of The Year.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Grammy wrap up:

* No Elvis
* Prince, its time to come back to us- your performance reminded me of what a genius you are
* Outkast deserved everything they won
* Sting looked like an asshole in his skirt and tall black socks
* The Foo Fighters continue to be a fantastic band
* The White Stripes continue to be rock's most overrated band
* I was shocked to enjoy Justin Timberlake's number. Sounded like a nice Stevie Wonder song
* Beyonce is a class act
* Christina Aguilera is not
* Coldplay (British!!) were the only ones with enough guts to make a political statement regarding the US elections
* The Beatles tribute was a waste and could have been much much better. Nice guitar solo by Vince Gill though!
* No Elvis
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The Grammy's have lost any direction that they may have had. Some where along the way they decided to mimimize the part of the show where AWARDS are actually given to AWARD recipients. Performances carried, by percentage, 75% of the show, and some long winded speeches by some grammy officials carried about another 5%. Left about 20% for actualy award giving and the attendant speeches that follow. Okay, so the speeches are typically lame and cliche'd, but out of the clutter a gem will usually rise and be talked about for years to come. Not tonight. Horrible mix. It didn't work for me, save for a brief beatles tribute that was still weak, and a pretty wild tribute to Funk culminating in the GodFather "George Clinton and the Parliment Funkadelics" bringing down the house.

The gig where Timberlake was scheduled to apologize was so poorly conceived...thus, he was compelled to make light of the whole situation and trivialize it. It all works for him...positive pub...all good. After all, instead of assisting in the exposure of someone else's boob, he simply exposed his whole being, which collectively is tantamount to a hormonally driven glandular object with a head on it that can spew white liquids and semisolids....

Like a giant, juvenile zit.

Someone needs to pop that no-talent and move on.

And if "Kate" can't get her postings together re: the official Elvis Webiste and his performance in tribute to Sting (Madonna's bestest big toe), then why is that site alive. What a waste of a good sunday evening. This comes on the heels of the stupidest interview of EC that I have ever seen...Craig Kilborn on Friday night. The "Punk-Punk-Punk" to "Tall Guy-Tall Guy-Tall Guy"" exchange was the only glimmer of Elvis wit, but he had so little to work with given the mindless banter by Craig. I am convinced that EC didn't care to suffer through it as long as he could play his song, which he did to a good reception. But the EC impersonator thing was as lame as comedy gets in the states. It embarrassed me.

It is incredible to me that I found our Presidents exchanges with Tim Russert to be more entertaining and useful than the 3.5 hours Grammy Show that followed it. That is pretty bad. And I give GW the same benefit of the doubt that I give to the performers with whom I am not entirely thrilled with.

And one final note: How devastating was THAT when the mic went south for Patti LaBelle and Celine in tribute to Luther. Give me a break. I give a lot of credit to the professionalism of Celine, who I would have quessed would have cast the mic aside and thrown a temper tantrum. Instead, she plowed through the distorted set with class, and kept her cool. I give her credit for that.

Whatever.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)

Post by 10 »

Wow. You want LESS music and MORE speeches?

That's an "interesting" (read: crap) thought.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Jill Rydman writes to listserv -

Elvis' Cohort Wins Grammy

Michael Tilson Thomas of the SF Symphony and the one that helped out
with
Elvis' "A Midsummer Night's Dream" won a Grammy tonight for Best
Classical
Album! Yay SF!!

Jill

http://www.grammy.com/awards/grammy/46w ... oductioncl
Best Classical Album
(Award to the Artist(s) and to the Album Producer(s) if other than the
Artist.)

Mahler: Symphony No. 3; Kindertotenlieder
Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor; Michelle DeYoung, mezzo soprano;
Andreas
Neubronner, producer (Vance George; Pacific Boychoir, San Francisco
Girls
Chorus & Women of the SFS Chorus; San Francisco Symphony)
[SFS Media]
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I have just two questions re: the grammys. where was elvis????? and what kind of guitar does jack white play??? that was the worst grammy show I can remember. and I watch every freaking year. since I was like 8.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I thought that the White Stripes set was about the only redeemable part of the show. Though I'm getting a little sick of Seven Nation Army.

Jack can really beat the hell out of that thing (the guitar, that is). In light of his recent legal woes, I thought he might have done a ballad or something.

And contrary to pophead again (no offense), I found Beyonce to be just another typical Diva who takes great pleasure in cramming as many wobbly notes into a single bar as possible. Yodelers of the World, Unite!!

I was ready to pounce just assuming they would slight Elliott Smith in the Obit portion, but was pleasantly surprised. Just seeing his face brings a tear to my eye.

Zevon will be missed, but Smith was the music industry's genuinely tragic loss last year. Probably more potential in Smith then in the sorry rag tag cast of the entire Grammy posse combined. Not to mention the humanity.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Oh, one other thing. I found Yoko to be in typically arrogant form last night. When I heard her refer to Paul, George, and Ringo as "the other three", I wanted to punch her.

On the other hand, why does Paul always have to ham it up. That stupid mocking of Yesterday was totally inappropriate (IMHO). The Beatles weren't a Vaudeville Act.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

How did he mock Yesterday cbartal?

I wish Jack White would join a proper band, with a good drummer...that would rock!
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Did you see it, crow?

I guess mocking isn't exactly the right word. I guess he just turned it into kind of like a little "ditty". Hard to explain, but I really didn't see the point of it. If you're gonna do it, do it justice. The song's only 2 minutes anyway, why not give it a heartfelt verse--bridge-verse rendition.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

No offense taken CBartal- I disagree with most people re: the White Stripes. As far as Beyonce, I'm not a big fan of her singing, per se, just thought that she didnt' act like a jackass like most of her diva-peers do when they get the chance. Plus, she has the good taste to work with artists like Prince and Luther Vandross. However, you won't find any Destiny's Child or Beyonce solo albums in my collection.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The main winners were mostly deserved. Outkast deserved hip hop album, and Album of the Year. Foo Fighters deserved Rock album, and White Stripes deserved Alternative album. I don't care about the rest.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Katie

Post by Katie »

BlueChair wrote:Did Elvis even perform at all?
Elvis did perform he sang and played the ukulele at the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences annual Musicares 2004 Person of the Year dinner at Sony Studios in Los Angeles. I appologize someone misinformed me and said the performance was going to be during the Grammy Awards.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Well, "10" your witty crtique of my comments leave me wondering: "Did you watch the Grammy's?" I ask because I am not alone in my review. There is a sentiment that the shift of significant awards to the pre-ceremony to make room for extended performance left the show weakened. For example, after the show was over, it was impossible to know that Pat Metheny once again one for best Jazz instrumental, and that Elvis did not win for his contribution to the score of Cold Mountain. Maybe that information would have been useful. In 3.5 hours, it could have been conveyed by something as simple as a scrolling list of winners who had already recieved their awards.

Some of the performances were noteworthy. Some were not. Very significant awards were not presented during the 210 minute broadcast. I find a thoughtful acceptance of recognition, even if I do not particularly like the recipient or the award category, to be exciting. It is an awards show. Argue the merit of the award. That is a good argument. But before you cast derogations about 'crap' comments, take a second to try to educate yourself re: the history, the purpose, and the things that make the Grammy's different than a variety show.

I appreciated the performances of White Stripes, not because I particularly what they are promoting, but because of the authentic energy that emanated from the stage. The tribue to Warren Zevon was what it should have been. The Sting performance was old and has been done plently of times before. The Beatles stuff was obligate and perfunctory.

As long as the show is a celebration of musical art, it should contain a mix of exemplary performance and award presentation. It may be 'crap' to you, but I have some interest in the artists beyond their performance ability.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Pophead2k

Indeed 'How to be Dumb' is aimed at Bruce. My mistake :oops: I actually meant 'Hurry Down Doomsday...' in which I believe he took a swipe at Sting's eternal moralising with the lines:

"Anyday now a giant insect mutation
Will swoop down and devour the white man's burden
Starting out with all of the sensitive ones
Better make like a fly if you don't want to die
Look out there goes Gordon"
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Katie wrote:
Elvis did perform he sang and played the ukulele at the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences annual Musicares 2004 Person of the Year dinner at Sony Studios in Los Angeles. I appologize someone misinformed me and said the performance was going to be during the Grammy Awards.
Last I checked the Musicares 2004 Person Of ThE Year dinner is not the Grammys.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Meg white is a GREAT drummer! It looks like she's having sex when she plays! is that NOT what makes a GREAT drummer???
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Don't get me wrong, I really like The White Stripes...ost innovative rock band about at the mo...it's just that she always seems to need to 'tighten up' a bit. Not that I can play the drums, so who am I to complain eh!

I agree, she does look like she's enjoying herself as well, so more power to her.
Last edited by laughingcrow on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katie

Post by Katie »

BlueChair wrote:
Katie wrote:
Last I checked the Musicares 2004 Person Of ThE Year dinner is not the Grammys.
BlueChair - you and Mr.Average are absolutely right I was mistaken. I have apologized for the misunderstanding. We were simply misinformed by everyone including people who organized the event.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

No problem, Katie. Welcome to the board. :)