Art Debate: So Lacklustre vs. Bambooneedle

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

"Who should decide what is 'art', the 'artist' or the audience?"

Vote for Bambooneedle ('the artists decides')
71%
Vote for So Lacklustre ('the audience decides')
29%

Total votes: 14

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

bambooneedle wrote:Otis - you mustn't have read the original debate thread either because you didn't get the intended spirit of it.
No I didn't, the word 'debate' fills me with dread, so I kept away. Especially debates about what art is. I'm more of a setlist person myself. I wasn't being uppity, I was just clarifying that the views contained herein reflected nothing of the publisher's own views.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

noiseradio wrote:That's a great one. We blame our bizarre spellings on the Canadians. I'm not sure how we justify it, but blaming Canada (or the Communists) always worked well here in the good 'ol US of A.

Ok. I have to stop now. As fun as these last two posts were, I don't want them to take.
Hey, we're the ones who model our spelling on the English method, and they're the ones who invented the bloody language :D So blame someone else on your bizarre spellings :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Ok, we blame the French Canadians. That should satisfy everyone.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis wrote:No I didn't, the word 'debate' fills me with dread, so I kept away. Especially debates about what art is. I'm more of a setlist person myself. I wasn't being uppity, I was just clarifying that the views contained herein reflected nothing of the publisher's own views.
Otis, I have no reason to think of you as the uppity type.
I didn't really think of it as 'my view', but it made me think. As you say, it all depends on the situation.... it's easier when specific, and I'm still trying to get some Bowie (in both senses).

Rope, would you expect art NOT to inspire elitism? The subjectivity in anyone saying, "I like that, and that over there sucks" is the same notion. Gilli sort of made this point: I don't think anyone would really be satisfied with the idea that everything (in terms of self expression) is as worthy of being called art (will deny that some even is), so while I may tend to keep away from today's 'established' art (or not), I certainly understand the nature of the art hierarchy around it. It's expected, and nobody has to go and see it. If you seemed convinced enough of, and adamant enough about, the validity of your cable art, they could possibly fit you in somewhere.