London meet up - Saturday 7th June

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Re: London meet up - Saturday 7th June

Post by Neil. »

P.s. John F, what was the Brian Friel play like, and what you think of the Donmar?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It was a really good afternoon and turnout. Unfortunately sulky lad had a touch of man flu so he couldn't join us but it was great to see the debut of sheeptotheslaughter and again to see the lovely ladies of the so lacklustre household. The 9 of us had a great time and the venue was good although carrying a tray of 9 drinks upstairs after a few pints proved challenging... :lol:

I was disappointed at Elvis's no show (apostrophe "s" in there for you Neil. :wink: ) and the lack of buxom Swedish twins although we did not get disturbed by the general public so at least that bit worked to plan :lol:
Neil. wrote:Would you believe that the last two stragglers - Roofdog and I - finally called it a day at midnight...
Yes I would, considering you went on the missing list to go to the theatre for a couple of hours! Well done on lasting 0 seconds without an alcoholic drink :lol: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

A great day out, nice to meet everyone.

I had a little stumble down the stairs on the way to the toilet. I guessed then it was time I made my way home. I had probably drunk enough.

Although once I did get home I had a couple of large brandies to celebrate a great day out.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've got so muddled up in my head as regards names people use on this board and real names so I'll not bother naming the guilty in these - they may do so if they wish!

P.s. John F, what was the Brian Friel play like, and what you think of the Donmar?
I enjoyed Fathers & Sons at the Donmar on Saturday. It's not opening officially until , I think , this coming Tuesday so the show was a third preview & it showed. Some lines were said wrong and redone etc. Similarly I kind of felt that some of the actors, male especially, are still figuring out how to pitch their performance. Some tragic sequences were getting laughs and the other way around also.

As always with Friel the language and use of song is intoxicating. The themes of societal inequalities are dealt with both blatantly and by implication.

Elaine Cassidy's ( the main reason I went - I'm a big fan ) role , Anna, was like her one in Les Parents Terribles a few years ago , one that primarily serves to react to & enhance other roles in the play. In 'Terribles she was so nuanced that she was vital to the overall effect. There seemed to be a hesitancy to her performance on Saturday. With time she will, doubtlessly, get it right and then the piece will really take off.

She had , I think, three different costumes, very elaborate Russian style affairs, as befit the 1850s setting. She looked great & projected her voice better than some of the other actors. Besides her I was very impressed by Joshua James and Tim McMullan. My seat was to the side of the stage so at times I missed some deep stage activity which was getting reactions from the audience at the front. The set was elaborate enough, all kinds of hanging planks of wood etc. The program doesn't have any production photos. Hopefully they'll appear in time online.

This is the only photo I took in the Donmar, taken as I sat down before the show. It's so small that I couldn't risk taking any more, certainly not during the show.

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

verbal gymnastics wrote:It was a really good afternoon and turnout. Unfortunately sulky lad had a touch of man flu so he couldn't join us but it was great to see the debut of sheeptotheslaughter and again to see the lovely ladies of the so lacklustre household. The 9 of us had a great time and the venue was good although carrying a tray of 9 drinks upstairs after a few pints proved challenging... :lol:

I was disappointed at Elvis's no show (apostrophe "s" in there for you Neil. :wink: ) and the lack of buxom Swedish twins although we did not get disturbed by the general public so at least that bit worked to plan :lol:
Neil. wrote:Would you believe that the last two stragglers - Roofdog and I - finally called it a day at midnight...
Yes I would, considering you went on the missing list to go to the theatre for a couple of hours! Well done on lasting 0 seconds without an alcoholic drink :lol: :lol:
Hahaha! Yeah, like Elvis, my willpower totally failed to turn up! Ta for the apostrophe - and for organising!

Thanks for the Donmar details, John. Hope it was still worth seeing, despite the teething problems.