The Big Wheel, new edition.

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: The Big Wheel, new edition.

Post by johnfoyle »

Some additional notes on The Big Wheel on Bruce Thomas' new site -

http://www.brucethomas.co.uk/?page_id=84

(extract)

Once upon a time there was a band that had a great adventure … which included a few scrapes from which none of them — neither Drummer, Singer, Keyboard Player, nor Bass Player — should have ever emerged with any dignity or self-righteousness intact. It was a jolly old time — a time when the Singer was happy being in a band … before the subtle shift to having a band.

But being paid to go round the world in a band was never quite as grim as I made it out to be. I should’ve also mentioned watching the sunrise over Sumatra from the flight deck of a 747, or seeing the sun set over Mt. Fuji. Or seeing some of the world’s best art … Jackson Pollock, van Gogh, Cézanne … the Sistine Chapel in Rome … Gaudi’s triumphs in Barcelona … Paris at night from the top of the Eiffel Tower … New York from the top of the World Trade Center … or going out on to the roof of Sydney Opera House … seeing Niagara Falls frozen over … or swimming out to an island in a Norwegian fjord, only to discover a hundred naked women had got there first. It’s too easy to become blasé when experiences like those happen every other day … in between the strip malls of Spokane and the waffle houses of Wigan. And, of course, some nights I found myself playing in a very good band.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

johnfoyle wrote:Once upon a time there was a band that had a great adventure … which included a few scrapes from which none of them — neither Drummer, Singer, Keyboard Player, nor Bass Player — should have ever emerged with any dignity or self-righteousness intact. It was a jolly old time — a time when the Singer was happy being in a band … before the subtle shift to having a band.
:roll:

Oh Bruce. It was always Elvis Costello and the Attractions... was it not?

I mean, except for that one dreadful Attractions album sans Elvis.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Seriously.
It reminds me of Noel Redding whining about Hendrix.
migdd

Post by migdd »

the_platypus wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:Once upon a time there was a band that had a great adventure … which included a few scrapes from which none of them — neither Drummer, Singer, Keyboard Player, nor Bass Player — should have ever emerged with any dignity or self-righteousness intact. It was a jolly old time — a time when the Singer was happy being in a band … before the subtle shift to having a band.
:roll:

Oh Bruce. It was always Elvis Costello and the Attractions... was it not?

I mean, except for that one dreadful Attractions album sans Elvis.
Agreed. I love Bruce's playing. At the time, he was the finest player in the band. But he just never got it.

I love his website, especially the video clips of him playing bass to his cat in what I assume is his home. He still has his incredible chops and, as a failed bass player, I was totally blown away once again at his mastery of the instrument.