Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Smallfaces1

cd's i picked up

Post by Smallfaces1 »

i have picked up:

All of the jayhawks albums apart from the very first because its been deleted!

fountains of wayne, Welcome interstate managers

Golden smog, weird tales

Del amitri's first album which is truely great.

cheap trick greatest hits

graham parker greatest hits

and gram parsons sleepless nights which is dreadful! the man can't sing in key! and is well over rated! can someone tell me one good song he did? please?
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

and gram parsons sleepless nights which is dreadful! the man can't sing in key! and is well over rated! can someone tell me one good song he did? please?
Sorry to hear you don't like him. I don't have Sleepless Nights, but understand it was originally released well after his death and was a "combing the bottom of the vaults" type production. Probably the wrong one to start out with. There are a couple of really nice Flying Burritto Brothers collections out there as well as the fantastic Twofer - GP/Grievous Angel.

He's done plenty of good songs, and many great ones as well. Gram is one of the biggest musical influences on Elvis Costello, as he's covered 3 Parsons songs that I can immediately think of. My favorite GP song is The Return of The Grievous Angel.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I don't have Sleepless Nights, but understand it was originally released well after his death and was a "combing the bottom of the vaults" type production. Probably the wrong one to start out with. There are a couple of really nice Flying Burritto Brothers collections out there as well as the fantastic Twofer - GP/Grievous Angel.
Indeed, an unfortunate way to make one's acqaintance with Gram. Along with the latter superior Gram items, one should also track down the latest double disc edition of the Byrd's seminal Sweethearts of The Rodeo album, which contains plenty of Gram's other works from around that time.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 01-3239369

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 00-7838805
BlueChair

Re: cd's i picked up

Post by BlueChair »

Smallfaces1 wrote:i have picked up:

All of the jayhawks albums apart from the very first because its been deleted!

Golden smog, weird tales

Good choices on The Jayhawks and Golden Smog, but dude, don't be dissing Gram Parsons. Neither of afformentioned bands would be what they are without the influence of Gram Parsons. I've never even HEARD of sleepless nights, apart from Elvis Costello's cover of it on the Gram Parsons tribute. Pick up The Byrds' "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo", The Flying Burrito Brothers "Gilded Palace Of Sin"/"Burrito Deluxe" 2-on-1 and the Gram Parsons Grevious Angel/GP 2-on-1. I particularly like the Flying Burritos stuff. Sure, Parsons isn't a conventional amazing singer, but his songwriting is fantastic and his voice totally works for the songs most of the time.

As for the Jayhawks, their first major-label release is Blue Earth, which was recently reissued with bonus tracks. "The Jayhawks" was only really meant to be a demo apparently, and was released in a very small quantity. So I don't think you're missing much without it. I hope you enjoy the other albums, I think Tomorrow The Green Grass is my favourite.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
rebel_007

Recent CD Purchases

Post by rebel_007 »

Hi Everyone I am new here. So here are my recent purchases:

Elvis Costello-North
U.N.K.L.E.-Never Never Land
Various-Desert Sessions 9 & 10 (with PJ Harvey)
The Strokes-Room On Fire
Paul Westerberg-Come Feel Me Tremble
The Shins-Chutes To Narrow (my favorite CD right now)
Super Furry Animals-Phantom Power (were great live)
Rickie Lee Jones-The Evening Of My Best Day
Stereophonics-You Gotta Go There To Come Back
Travis-12 Memories
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros-Streetcore

Rebel_007 :D
"What Can We Do, What Shall We Do, With All This Useless Beauty?"
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Yay! I'm not the newest user anymore! Welcome, rebel, and good picks :)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

It's a few years old, but I bought Buena Vista Social Club tonight, and it's brilliant.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Welcome to the world of Cuban delights that is Buena Vista Social Club, noise! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Allen Toussaint - Complete Warner Recordings
Bill Evans - Complete Riverside Recordings
Elvis Costello - Get Happy remaster
Albert King - Blues from the Road
Cheap Trick - One on One
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

elfslut bought
Michael Crawford - A Christmas Album
. Hope you didn't pay top dollar for it buddy!
signed with love and vicious kisses
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Oooh betty, the cat's done a whoopsy in my beret!!!

:lol:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Blue Chair,

It's just absolutely amazingly wonderful. I can't get enough of it.

Have you heard the latest Ry Cooder?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yes! Mambo Sinuendo has been on my to-get list for months. I actually went as far as ordering it while I was in England, but had to cancel it cause I was going a little overboard on my CD purchases. It's mostly instrumental and has more electric guitar work, and even a little bit of electronica influence, but it's more or less up the same alley as Buena Vista Social Club in that it's very Cuban sounding.

Apparently the latest Ibrahim Ferrer album is also excellent. He sings a lot of the tracks on Buena Vista Social Club.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Don't know how many of you are fans of No Doubt...but this, and the cool cover of Talk Talk's It's my life have made my day...

NO DOUBT'S FIRST COLLECTION, The Singles 1992-2003, TO BE RELEASED IN NOVEMBER ALONG WITH FOUR-DISC LIMITED EDITION DELUXE BOX SET AND CONCERT DVD ROCK STEADY LIVE

After five albums and 25 million records sold--No Doubt unveils its first retrospective plus a two-CD/two-DVD Deluxe Box Set and a Rock Steady Live DVD all in November 2003, all on Interscope Records. Leading the November 25th release of The Singles 1992-2003 is a new track, No Doubt's cover of one of the band's favorite '80s songs, "It's My Life," a 1984 hit for the UK band Talk Talk.

"It feels like the right time to release this collection because it closes a chapter," explains band bassist Tony Kanal. "This is the recap of an incredible journey that we’ve had and it sets the tone for what will come in the future. We decided not to call it 'Greatest Hits' because that sounded too final...there’s more to come from us as a band."

The four-disc Deluxe Box Set, entitled Boom Box, in stores on November 25, brings together The Singles 1992-2003; Everything In Time (B-Sides, Rarities, Remixes) a CD that includes seven previously unreleased tracks, and two DVDS: The Videos 1992-2003 (featuring videos of the CD's singles) and Live In The Tragic Kingdom, a 1997 concert performance at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim previously available only on VHS.

The Rock Steady Live DVD will also be issued November 25th. Recorded at a 2002 Long Beach Arena show, the concert features 17 songs, including all of the band's hits, plus additional live footage, band interviews and behind-the-scenes peeks. Rock Steady Live, as well as Live In The Tragic Kingdom, were directed by Sophie Muller, who also helmed many of the band's music videos.

"This started with us wanting to release a B-Sides album," recalls Kanal, "because there really wasn’t one place to get all of them. But that didn't make sense unless there was a retrospective too. Live In The Tragic Kingdom has been long overdue on DVD so we did a 5.1 remix. We added Rock Steady Live since we have no plans of doing any concerts till next year. Safe to say we ended up doing more than we originally anticipated."

With the band taking a break from group recording as members work on other projects, The Singles 1992-2003, Boom Box and Rock Steady Live look back at one of the most popular bands of recent years and together offer the ultimate studio-live-rarities-and music video experience for any fan of No Doubt.

Boom Box - Limited Edition Deluxe Box Set

disc 1: The Singles 1992-2003
1) Just A Girl
2) It's My Life
3) Hey Baby featuring Bounty Killer
4) Bathwater
5) Sunday Morning
6) Hella Good
7) New
8) Underneath It All featuring Lady Saw
9) Excuse Me Mr.
10) Running
11) Spiderwebs
12) Simple Kind Of Life
13) Don't Speak
14) Ex-Girlfriend
15) Trapped In A Box

disc 2 (DVD): The Videos 1992-2003
1) Running
2) Underneath It All featuring Lady Saw
3) Hella Good
4) Hey Baby featuring Bounty Killer
5) Bathwater
6) Simple Kind Of Life
7) Ex-Girlfriend
8) New
9) Oi To The World
10) Sunday Morning
11) Excuse Me Mr.
12) Don’t Speak
13) Spiderwebs
14) Just A Girl
15) Trapped In A Box

disc 3: Everything In Time (B-Sides, Rarities, Remixes)
B-SIDES
1) Big Distraction
2) Leftovers
3) Under Construction
4) Beauty Contest
5) Full Circle
6) Cellophane Boy
RARITIES
7) Everything In Time (Los Angeles)*
8) You're So Foxy*
9) Panic*
10) New Friend featuring Bucaneer*
11) Everything in Time (London)*
12) Sailin' On
13) Oi To The World
14) I Throw My Toys Around featuring Elvis Costello
REMIXES
15) New & Approved (New remix)
16) A Real Love Survives (Rock Steady remix) featuring Ms. Dynamite*
17) A Rock Steady Vibe (Rock Steady remix) featuring Sweetie Irie*

*previously unreleased track

disc 4 (DVD): Live In The Tragic Kingdom
1) Tragic Kingdom
2) Excuse Me Mr.
3) Different People
4) Happy Now?
5) D.J.’s
6) End It On This
7) Just A Girl
8) The Climb
9) Total Hate
10) Hey You
11) The Imperial March
12) Move On
13) Don’t Speak
14) Sunday Morning
15) Spiderwebs
16) Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

laughingcrow... I generally appreciate your taste, but... NO DOUBT??? :shock:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah :shock: ...they rock! I guess they're seen as a pretty girlie band, but I think they've got a great ska-punk sound, and Gwens got a good voice. I'm not a massive fan, no posters, I dont have their back catalogue, and I don't post on a No Doubt forum :lol: but Tragic Kingdom is an excellent record...plus EC did a thing with them, which proves that they're good.

And come on...Gwen Stefani...grrrrrrrrr :D hubba hubba, pant pant, *creaky bed sound* .....!!!!!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yes, but EC also likes Destiny's Child :shock:

laughingcrow, I recommend you pay a visit to the Celebrities you would rather not admit to liking thread :lol:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I don't mind Destiny's Child either. :shock:

''question''

I bet I'm not the only person here who likes No Doubt....come on people, 'fess up....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, Crow, I don't like Gwen like YOU like Gwen, but I like her okay. :wink:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

In the immortal word's of Stan Lee....

'Nuff said!' :lol:

''I love you laughingcrow...'' :lol:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sorry, all I see is a photograph. Does that imply any sort of musical or vocal talent?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

She sings very well. And the songs are positively infectious. Gwen Stefani is very talented.
--William Shakespeare
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Just picked up the White Album on CD - damn fine.

The old cassette was knackered!
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

The Move, Movements (a 3-disc set)
The Family Man OST (finally!)
Au Pairs, Sense and Sensuality
Gang of Four, Shrinkwrapped
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Finally? Isn't The Family Man that atrocious movie with Nicolas Cage and Mrs. David Duchovny?