Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Portuguese wine: often fabulous.

I'm tempted to go to NY just to indulge in some of that '94 port.
You book the flight - I'll get the decanter ready. :)

We need a food & wine thread.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Australia and Trinidad & Tobago qualify for the World Cup Finals - nice!

Are people excited about this down your way, boo and Tim(e)?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Does this mean that those lazy bastards Kewell and Viduka might actually try and play for the next 6 months? :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The cheating Turks knocked out by the Swiss.

Spain and Czechs through now as well.

Good World Cup field - we're gonna have a hard time even getting out of our group.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Jackson Monk wrote:Does this mean that those lazy bastards Kewell and Viduka might actually try and play for the next 6 months? :lol:
No
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I see that Abramovich has been holding an inquest into Chelsea's poor form! Just keep hoping that he is patient blue boys.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:I see that Abramovich has been holding an inquest into Chelsea's poor form! Just keep hoping that he is patient blue boys.
Poor form? Most other clubs' supporters would give their left testicles to be in our place. We'll be fine - though I am predicting a draw this weekend with Newcastle.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The poor form tag was Abramovich's view apparently. That was my point, I would love Arsenal to be in Chelsea's position in the Premier
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:The poor form tag was Abramovich's view apparently. That was my point, I would love Arsenal to be in Chelsea's position in the Premier
Well, it's all paper talk. I think most reporters are hankering for a three-way title race, so anything that ratchets up the pressure on Chelsea is welcome to them.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wigan! Wigan!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Keane in shock exit from Man Utd
Roy Keane has left Manchester United by mutual consent.
More to follow.

Wow.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:
Keane in shock exit from Man Utd
Roy Keane has left Manchester United by mutual consent.
More to follow.

Wow.
Does this mean that Ballack is on his way? Otis, how are those Michael Ballack appreciation courses coming along?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

whatever people think of the man (and I quite like him), he was a great player and this is a sad way to exit I think. Should have been at the end of the season.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Deep shock! Was there a rebellion among the other players after the notorious interview? Was there a bust-up with the ever loyal Fergie? has he just decided it's time to move on and that leaving quietly out of contract at the end of the season jusst wasn't the Keano thing to do? So, Celtic? Man City? Rep of Ireland manager?

A true United hero forever, despite everything else. How many games have I watched and thanked God that we had such an inspirational motor holding the team together. the man who coined the expression 'Stick it up your bollocks!' I will always love you, Roy.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

End of an era, no doubt about it.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone know if this footage of Goofy is real or a hoax? Incredible skill if it's legit (give it a moment - starts slowly):

http://www.break.com/articles/ronaldinho.html
Otis Westinghouse

That has to be faked - clever skill on behalf of the creator. Surely that couldn't happen three times.

Got over my missing Keane when I read sat's Guardian with the full account of the demise of him and Fergie ('If they won't show you what's on the tape then I'll tell you', on the training ground, slagging off Van Der Saar for referring to himself as a Man U player after only 4 months - surely that's a good thing for any captain to see! - and also laying into Fletcher for being, er, keen on his Gameboy!!!). They made the very valid point that 6 years ago this would all have been worked through and moved on from, but now Keane is too miuch of a spent force to get away with such anti-team activity, so wel done Fergie, you're the boss, and you can't manage a team with that going on. Didn't do us any harm on Saturday, and if that Rooney/ruudy link up is a taste of things to come, then bring it on! Villareal game should be good. Hat-trick for Forlan?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I think Keane's been past his best for a while now. When you're gliding along winning games it's easier to put up with a character like him, but when things start to go bad he must just be impossible. I think you do need to find someone to fill in that holding role, but if you can get to January you can expect reinforcements to arrive.
Otis Westinghouse

I go along with the point made on ITV tonight that you can't seek to replace a player like that, same with Vieira. Better to think of making broader changes. It's become orthodoxy to need the 'holding role', and obviously there's a lot to be said for that, but maybe the best replacement for Keane will be a newfound sense of confidence in existing players. We weren't bad at all this evening. Some solid chances, most of the play. Were it not for Gonzalo, we might have got a couple in. I think the ref took a brown envelope from Villarreal. Every time they took a dive, which was often, we were penalised. The Silvestre booking was unfair. As Alex put it, 3 mins stoppage time was a joke. Nice to see Neville and Saha on the pitch. Neville looked rusty, whereas Saha looked sharp. I've always liked him, and it's a shame he's had so many injuries. If he stays in the team now he could develop well this season. If only Heinze hadn't got injured, that was a real blow. At least Ferdinand was looking more the part today, and O'Shea had his moments too.

bugger that we have to beat benfica on the 6th to go through. Expect a very grumpy Otis on the 9th if we don't! Arse are doing well to change their duffer European reputation.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

It's not all lost yet for ManU. They will have to win the last away game against Benfica and regardless of the other result they'll be in the next stage.
But they have to do something with their midfield, and the sooner the better. Paul Scholes was simply useless and Alan Smith not much better.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Yes, Scholes is looking very ineffective. He had that great spell last season (this time last year, with two glorious goals when I saw him in Dec), but other than that he's been in decline. Good at fouling still, mind. Smith showed his potential in the Chelsea game, deserved man of the match. tonight he was feeble. Fletcher, of course, scored that night, but doesn't look like he'll ever make the grade. OK, we need to do something.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I find the Champions League to be less and less compelling with each passing season. Maybe it's just Chelsea's recent near-misses that have put me off the European competeitions, but it seems that games like Chelsea-Barca last year at the Bridge or the Liverpool-AC Milan final are few and far between. Usually it's a boring 1-0 or a scoreless draw involving some Greek or Belgian club.

I'm usually working when the CL games are being aired over here, so I set the Tivo to record them. It's rare that I go back and watch the whole match from start to finish (though maybe that also has something to do with having to listen to that idiot Tommy Smyth).

On the other hand I can watch Premiership football until the cows come home. I always make a point of catching the highlights show on Sunday evening to see anything exciting I might have missed.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Apart from the first ten minutes I thought Utd were pretty ordinary tonight. Rooboy looked good in the first half but apart from a shot that he should have a got on target he disappeared in the second. O'shea is crap I don't know why you're defending him. Park looked the most likely after he came on but seems to lack the final pass. With Neville, Scholes, Giggs also aging fast a lot of money is needed to strengthen the squad. Will the yanks stump up?
Otis Westinghouse

O'Shea was almost as good as Heinze in his first full season. He has talent. It's a confidence thing. He was reasonably solid tonight. He will flourish in post-Keane United, believe me! Park has ability and class, but ain't there yet, though were it not for Gonzyboy he might well have been tonight. Ronaldo is still only 75% a great player, maybe only 50%. And as for that free kick.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I find the Champions League to be less and less compelling with each passing season. Maybe it's just Chelsea's recent near-misses that have put me off the European competeitions, but it seems that games like Chelsea-Barca last year at the Bridge or the Liverpool-AC Milan final are few and far between. Usually it's a boring 1-0 or a scoreless draw involving some Greek or Belgian club.

I'm usually working when the CL games are being aired over here, so I set the Tivo to record them. It's rare that I go back and watch the whole match from start to finish (though maybe that also has something to do with having to listen to that idiot Tommy Smyth).

On the other hand I can watch Premiership football until the cows come home. I always make a point of catching the highlights show on Sunday evening to see anything exciting I might have missed.

Hooray!! Someone has said what I've been thinking for the past 2 years. Of course, if Id said it, it would have been just jealousy because the Spurs never get a sniff of europe.

The Champs (only) of each national league should be in a knock-out competition - this would create more cup excitement. They should bring back the CWC and that in turn would breathe life into the UEFA Cup and national knock out cups. Won't happen of course because in reality, the only point of the CL is to make money for the richer clubs. They would never be happy at the prospect of being knocked out by Locomotiv Leipzig (do they still exist?) in the first round.

Man Utd fans on the radio (no disrespect Otis baby) go on and on about the 'big match' against Lille or Real Sociedad. Don't they get it? We're all bored...nobody gives a fuck!!

With the exception of the odd special match (last year's final for example)the CL is dull, dull, dull for everyone except the fans of the teams in it. Does anyone else really get excited about Anderlecht V Chelsea or Arse v FC Thun ? Give me a premiership scrap at Upton Park or Anfield any day of the week.

I think I've made my thoughts clear :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima