Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

That's what I thought. Wait till the next Russian billionaire invests in another PL club - the backpedaling will be something to behold.

Hmmm, Birmingham lose again. Who goes first - Bruce or Moyes?

Amazing stuff from Wigan. That away win on opening day doesn't look so bad now. I thought that I'd be seeing first v. last when I'm at the Bridge in December, but now it looks like it could be a top of the table clash. Credit to Jewell.

Go on Fulham! The European Champions showing their true colors. Sure I'm bitter, but it's very satisfying to see them fail so miserably.

PS: Just saw that Pires penalty. What in the world was he thinking?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

What happened? Was out last night, and the sodding BBC are showing MOTD repeat at a hideous 7.45, when it used to be 8.10 or something, so I missed the Arse and MU games. The latter sounded a good contest on the radio, but we're sooo under-achieving these days. Sob.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:What happened? Was out last night, and the sodding BBC are showing MOTD repeat at a hideous 7.45, when it used to be 8.10 or something, so I missed the Arse and MU games. The latter sounded a good contest on the radio, but we're sooo under-achieving these days. Sob.
The spurs/man utd game was good match with the former dominating in the second half, after the Man Utd had outfought us in the first 45 mins.

Jenas is really starting to repay the large fee, and looks promising if he can 'train on'. Ledley King has to be the unluckiest English player around. Virtually faultless in the past two seasons, he has to get past Terry, Ferdinand and S.Cumball to play centre-half for England.

Man Utd just don't seem to have the cutting edge of years gone by. Personally I'd rather play them than Chelsea or Arsenal. They have talent, but the midfield needs some oomph and I just don't know where that's gonna come from (Ballack?). Scholes looks a pale shadow of his former self, Fletcher and Park do nothing for me and Ronaldo flatters to deceive. Surprisingly, only Alan Smith looked the business, with an entertaining battle between him and Davids running throughout the match. Having said that, It's unbelieveable how he got through the match without a booking.

I don't think I can recall a time when the premiership was dominated so entirely by one team. Liverpool and Man Utd usually had one challenger during the 80s and 90s (Everton, Villa, Arsenal,Leeds, Ipswich Blackburn etc). Chelsea just look to be on a different planet to the rest.

The Pires penalty was priceless :lol: , but it was good to see Henry laughing about it on MOTD.......one suspects that he would have been less amused if City had gone on to get a point.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:What happened?
Arse had been awarded a penalty earlier, which Pires smashed it into the net. When he was awarded a second penalty, he thought he's try something new from the training ground (typical Arse - why do somethig the easy way when you can dazzle everyone with style?), so he attempted to roll the ball forward slightly so that Henry could step forward and strike it. But his studs just barely grazed the top of the ball, it moved about an inch, Henry didn't react, and the Man City players just cleared it away. Worst penalty I've ever seen - and they were only one up. If Man City had come back to score it would have been even more embarrassing.
Otis Westinghouse

Oh I have to see that! Highlight of the weekend.

Double shame we couldnae beat the Spurs given that we coulda closed the gap on the Birdge boys by 2. Very nice to see Everton get a point that way, although it proves that my plan to have Terry and Gallas in my fantasy defence may be a misguided one. Still, consolation (hopwever scant) in Chelsk not having increased the gap.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Didn't see the match, but a draw sounds like a fair result. Looking forward to seeing Lamps' goal. The single point doesn't do much for Everton.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

metros win, 'quakes lose - the apocalypse is surely upon us...

back to boring ball............

kidding!!! :lol: :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Landycakes played a helluva game for the Galaxy. I'm not a big fan, but he was very very good.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, his hairline (or lack there of) destroyed his modeling career, so it's good he's got a backup plan. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Great little piece on the BBC website:

"While Arsenal were thriving it was difficult to really have a go at the Fancy Dan mentality of Wenger's team.

However, the whole Musketeer thing has always seemed to be best represented by Monsieur Robert Pires, with his greased black barnet and apologetic facial hair.

Of course if D'Artagnan had spent as much time falling over in his sword-fights as Pires does on the pitch then it would have been a very short book.

How lovely it is then to witness him making such a salad Nicoise of his second penalty on Saturday.

He and Henry are anxious to point out that they meant no disrespect to Man City. I suppose with David James in goal they thought that it was bound to work out somehow."
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Expect a FIFA law change next season to outlaw this type of penalty
non-conformity.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The European Champions crash out of the Carling Cup to Crystal Palace, with a full-strength squad. Chalk up another one for Benitez, the tactical genius.

BTW, I just read today that Peter Gabriel is doing some sort of musical extravaganza as part of the 2006 World Cup festivities - should be interesting. He's also a Liverpool fan.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Liverpool team selector. LOL.

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

...and now we're out of the Carling Cup as well. Not really bothered about it to be honest, as I think we have a good shot at all three of the other trophies. It means a lot more to a club like Liverpool that is clearly not going to win the PL and will be hard-pressed to get any silverware this season.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

The League cup waves Chelsea goodbye....... :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mourinho OUT! :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ain't nothing but the Huth.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Ain't nothing but the Huth.
Yeah, not at his best yesterday. Oh well.

BTW, heard a rumor that George Best has passed away. If so, RIP - a sad end.
Otis Westinghouse

News sources are still saying 'very seriously ill' on ventilator in intensive care, maybe he won't make it through.
Otis Westinghouse

Bollocks!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Bollocks indeed Mr Westinghouse.
By the way, didn't the script suggest that this was the time that all those Tottenham fans out there should start gloating......?
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Otis Westinghouse

It was heading that way. Arsenal sounded very mediocre in the first half. Shame it didn't stay that way. We all now face the challenge of seeing if we can catch Wigan.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:It was heading that way. Arsenal sounded very mediocre in the first half. Shame it didn't stay that way. We all now face the challenge of seeing if we can catch Wigan.
LOL. Amazing stuff from Wigan - who'd a thunk it?
Otis Westinghouse

Lovely example of how an average team on paper can do it with a good manager giving them spades of self-belief and confidence. With Ferguson, it does seem he's lost his way and can no longer motivate them, although players like Ferdinand seem to have lost interest anyway. With both Arse and MU, there seems to be a pattern of how reliant they have been on key players, and with them injured/departed, other former bright stars fade fast. Time for Arsolene and Fergie to move on at the end of the season and the guard to change.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Watched the Spurs v Arsenal game live on tv. We totally dominated the arse in the first half and then came out like a second rate side in the second half! So much for team tatics and motivating talks at half time! :roll:

Why oh why does our stupid manager leave it 'til near the end of the match to bring on Robbie Keane?? He can't even be expected to have warmed up in the amount of time Jol gives him on the pitch - it makes me mad!! :evil:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!