Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Essien should have been red-carded. Simply disgraceful.
I've seen worse this season. Agree that he probably should have been red carded, but hardly disgraceful - I didn't see malice in it, just a late-timed tackle.

I'm losing sight of Arsenal and ManU - focusing all of my attention on mighty Wigan.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

There's a difference between a late-timed tackle when the player was clearly going for the ball and where he had no chance of getting the ball in the first place, but had his leg straight out, studs at the ready to maim the opposition. Disgraceful is the only word. Players can't expect to do that and get away with it, and it's a shame he did.

Good on Wigan. I love the fact that they and the Ham are giving a good account of themselves. Especially for those who had Owen as FF captain.

I'm very pleased with MU's progress, but losing at home to Blackburn is something yoou simply can't afford to do if you ant to challenge Chelsea, so we're fighting for second place, or hoping for some bizarre downturn with the blues. It simply isn't going to happen, is it?

Lille on Tuesday, and it's on ITV. Good news, as I've ditched Sky Sports.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

SLL is conspicuous by his absence. This may not last, but I'm gonna enjoy it whilst I've got the chance :lol:

Jenas was awesome today....let's hope the enterprising tactics continue to reap benefits. Man Utd and the Arse to come in the next two weeks....usually we come unstuck against the big boys...but we shall see.
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

JACKSON : Jenas was much better today - theres hope yet! Spurs looked like a champion side - England and Spurs looking good ??? - im a happy bunny!! :lol:

SOLACK: Hope you enjoyed the West Brom match - I certainly did!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:There's a difference between a late-timed tackle when the player was clearly going for the ball and where he had no chance of getting the ball in the first place, but had his leg straight out, studs at the ready to maim the opposition. Disgraceful is the only word. Players can't expect to do that and get away with it, and it's a shame he did.
Oh, come on. He was late and his studs were up, but I didn't think there was any intent to maim the Bolton player. It was just a rash tackle. This is what you all are reduced to - hoping against hope that a Chelsea player gets sent off.
Otis Westinghouse

Not hoping, but in a game where Chelsea were 1-0 down at half-time and scored 5 in the second half, it might have made a difference. A late tackle with studs up on leg is a red card offence, the intent to maim is an optional extra.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Caught the last half hour of the Arsenal match in some sports bar in London during the "London meet up" (where I wasn't conspicuous by my absence). Arse were looking good before Carter's goal (a cracker), but ran out of ideas after that. Might have to settle for winning the champions league in order gain entry for next season :? .

Chelsea buying the premiership for the second year in succession is rather tedious. They only won the top division once before they were bankrolled.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Chelsea buying the premiership for the second year in succession is rather tedious. They only won the top division once before they were bankrolled.
If I'm not mistaken, Liverpool have spent somewhere close to the same as Chelsea over the past several seasons - why are they not running away with the League? Not to mention ManU splashing out on players like Rio and Rooney. Why has Arsenal decided to invest its resources in a stadium rather than a deeper squad?

It's all sour grapes. If it were so easy to buy a league, why has Real Madrid been so disappointing in recent years?

Chelsea has the world's best manager and a squad of committed players with great leadership qualities (e.g. Terry, Lampard). Everyone else hates Chelsea's dominance, including supposed neutrals, but if you're a Chelsea fan it's a great time. We will (probably) stumble at some point this season and you can all have a good laugh.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not hoping, but in a game where Chelsea were 1-0 down at half-time and scored 5 in the second half, it might have made a difference. A late tackle with studs up on leg is a red card offence, the intent to maim is an optional extra.
I agree it was a red card offense and said as much. Intent has nothing to do with it, as you say, but I do not think Essien is a dirty player.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:Chelsea buying the premiership for the second year in succession is rather tedious. They only won the top division once before they were bankrolled.
If I'm not mistaken, Liverpool have spent somewhere close to the same as Chelsea over the past several seasons - why are they not running away with the League? Not to mention ManU splashing out on players like Rio and Rooney. Why has Arsenal decided to invest its resources in a stadium rather than a deeper squad?

It's all sour grapes. If it were so easy to buy a league, why has Real Madrid been so disappointing in recent years?

Chelsea has the world's best manager and a squad of committed players with great leadership qualities (e.g. Terry, Lampard). Everyone else hates Chelsea's dominance, including supposed neutrals, but if you're a Chelsea fan it's a great time. We will (probably) stumble at some point this season and you can all have a good laugh.
Don't get me wrong...I'm no Chelsea lover, but I have to agree with WSS.
Chelsea have bought wisely (even Drogba brings something to the party) and although I have no figures to back me up, both Liverpool and Man Utd have spent similar amounts of cash over the years. Wenger makes smug comments about being frugal, when we all no that the Arse board have sat hording their cash to spend on a potential white elephant that they may not fill once the Champs League bubble bursts. As good as Ashburton Grove looks, it remains a major gamble.

Chelsea could have spent much more, but have resisted the temptation to sign 'galacticos' and have instead strengthened the team where it needs it. Ferguson's record on signings is pretty woeful, when you look at it closely, and over the years he relied heavily on his youth team of the early 90s. As they have aged and moved on, so has Ferguson's empire started to look shaky.

Chelsea's success is very largely attributable to Mourinho, who has made Ferguson and Wenger et al look lost and clueless by comparison. With the players they have (easily the best front two in the prem), Man Utd should be running them closer......but they are not - is that Abramovich's fault? Something tells me it might be Ferguson's. Even Wenger seems to have shut up moaning....heavens be praised. No wonder - his team look a pale shadow of what they once were.

Of course Chelsea have spent loads of money. For years, Man Utd did the same....even before the premiership years, I remember them trying to buy the title with players like Robson, Stapleton, Jesper Olsen, Jonny Sivebeck, Peter Davenport and Garry Birtles.

Chelsea are streets ahead of the competition.....but they still only play 11 players at a time.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

This is for you, Jackson, and also for SLL:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 348616.stm
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And this is for WSS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 348738.stm
Whatever will we do?

Oh, that's right - we have the silky skills of Eidur Gudjohnsen, who looked magnificent yesterday.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You cannot deny though that Chelsea have bought the title, if Abramovich had not come along they would not have attracted Mourinho, would not have bought the fantastic squad they have and it is very doubtful that they would have held on to some of the players they already had. Therefore they bought the title. I also have not added up the totals but I doubt that Liverpool Newcastle or Manu have spent anywhere near as much as Chelsea over the past 2+ years. Real Madrid do not have a bottomless pit either, they tend to splash out on one or two big players without strengthening the depth of their squad, that is why they do not dominate everything. Mourinho is a great manager I didn't say he wasn't. I may have sour grapes yes, but I am also correct in saying that Chelsea bought the title. The playing field is less level than ever before and if things continue it will get worse. Chelsea are even muscling in on young players that Manure have already signed for fs sake.
I think Arse were right in going for a new stadium, they were never going to be able to challenge on a regular basis without increasing their revenue, they were refused plans to expand Highbury from it's current 38,000 capacity and so have gone for a new stadium. It could be a big 'white elephant' but I doubt it, you are just sour and biased against anything and everything Arsenal do.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:You cannot deny though that Chelsea have bought the title, if Abramovich had not come along they would not have attracted Mourinho, would not have bought the fantastic squad they have and it is very doubtful that they would have held on to some of the players they already had. Therefore they bought the title. I also have not added up the totals but I doubt that Liverpool Newcastle or Manu have spent anywhere near as much as Chelsea over the past 2+ years. Real Madrid do not have a bottomless pit either, they tend to splash out on one or two big players without strengthening the depth of their squad, that is why they do not dominate everything. Mourinho is a great manager I didn't say he wasn't. I may have sour grapes yes, but I am also correct in saying that Chelsea bought the title. The playing field is less level than ever before and if things continue it will get worse. Chelsea are even muscling in on young players that Manure have already signed for fs sake.
I think Arse were right in going for a new stadium, they were never going to be able to challenge on a regular basis without increasing their revenue, they were refused plans to expand Highbury from it's current 38,000 capacity and so have gone for a new stadium. It could be a big 'white elephant' but I doubt it, you are just sour and biased against anything and everything Arsenal do.
I suppose you could say that the title is bought in every league across Europe if you want to look at it that way. With a few exceptions, it's the teams with the greatest resources that are at the top of the table. In England, it used to be Man United and Arsenal, and before that Liverpool.

No question about it - Chelsea certainly wouldn't have won the league without Abramovich's resources (in fact the club might even have gone into bankruptcy), but his wealth doesn't diminish the recent achievements - at least it doesn't for me.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

But teams like Arsenal and Liverpool have never had more money than teams like Tottenham and Newcastle yet Arsenal have achieved far greater things over the past few years than TH or toon. Chelsea's wealth is new and sudden rather than accumulated through having success in the first place which makes it harder to accept for the old farts like me. I'd be revelling in it if it were my club don't get me wrong, but think that it is bad for the premier to have one club so much richer than everyone else. It is good to see a different team challenging manunited, it's just a shame it's fucking Chelsea :twisted: .
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fair enough. I'd probably hate Chelsea if I weren't a supporter, so I understand where you're coming from. Has your brother been rubbing it in?

CFC is a bit like the Yankees - the team with all the money that everyone loves to hate. Could be worse - we could be the Cubs of the PL.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

... and it's not just Chelsea, Hibs* have really shaken the 'old firm' monopoly, also courtesy of an east European bank roll.

*oops! that should be Hearts (the other half of the Edinburgh old firm)
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Poor, poor result. MU looked very unconvincing. Unlike Henry, who;s back earlly with a vengeance. Will make FF interesting.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

so lacklustre wrote:I think Arse were right in going for a new stadium, they were never going to be able to challenge on a regular basis without increasing their revenue, they were refused plans to expand Highbury from it's current 38,000 capacity and so have gone for a new stadium. It could be a big 'white elephant' but I doubt it, you are just sour and biased against anything and everything Arsenal do.
I don't deny that the Arse were right to spend on their new stadium and part of me wishes we'd do the same. I don't know if they have made a wise choice or not. Time will tell. I just think it's a gamble (a brave one I grant you) in an entertainment industry that is already showing signs of recession - look at some of the champs league crowds this week.

I think Ashburton Grove looks fantastic, but tell me, what is the difference between Arsenal mortgaging the family silver and Glazer buying Manure on borrowed money? What will you do if you don't qualify for the Cl in the next 2-3 years?

The point I was making was that Wenger has constantly alluded to the importance of being careful with the cash and refusing to spend on overrated players. The reality is that the Arsenal business plan allows for no other option. I just think its a little dishonest of him to claim credit, because he would do the same as Mourinho if he could.

It's a little rich of you to accuse me of being biased.....shall we count the times you have given an honest assessment of the progress Spurs have made since Jol (and Levy) took over? I know that Spurs are still a long way behind. I still think that we'll fall flat on our face on several occasions this season. We could easily lose at Old Trafford this weekend and at home to your lot next week. The English press frequently call our fans 'fickle' which is about as hypocritical as you can get. A headline in a tabloid this week suggested that we are about to overtake Arsenal - we are the darlings of the media....for now. I know this is bollocks, but I do think the gap has closed.

I think I've been much more balanced than you. I've accepted that Arsenal have had periods when their football has been awesome. I've accepted that Spurs have been treading water for 18 years and became irrelevant as a force in English football. I also have a feeling (based on years of experience) that we could get well be brought back down to earth next Saturday at the lane - it won't change the fact that Spurs now have their best squad since prem began.

Wenger and his side were an essential antidote to potentially years of sole Manure domination, not dissimilar to Chelsea's current situation.
However, I still think Wenger is a one trick pony when it comes to tactics, and has been found out recently by premiership sides - just like he has in Europe time and time again.

No plan B and key players ageing or leaving without adequate replacements. Take away Henry's pace and skill, and you look like a side devoid of ideas. Do you disagree?
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

13 goals in three games - ho hum. :)

I'm not hearing so much talk about Drogba being a complete waste of money. ESPN decided to show AC Milan-PSV, so I'll have to wait until later to see highlights. Sounds like a great cross by SWP for Crespo's goal.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Not sure if Otis will be happy to hear the news, but it seems like Michael Ballack is one little step closer to being signed by Man Utd. next summer.
He is said to announce today that he will not prolong his contract with Bayern Munich. See this article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 26,00.html
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

At least we're not signing Oliver Kahn! I can learn to love him. As long he stops MU losing at home to Blackburn or drawing at home to the likes of Lille, he's alright by me.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

So now you can accept the idea of Ballack at Old Trafford? Can't stand him - at the end of the Bayern Munich match at Stamford Bridge last season he won a penalty with an unforgiveable flop. Between Ballack and Van Nistelrooy, it would be like Olympic diving in Manchester.
Otis Westinghouse

Just preparing for the charges of hypocrisy in case we sign him and I have to pretend to like him ...