Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Expect some talk of how we (England) relaxed a bit as the pressure was off.
I expect exactly the same kind of bullshit from our coach if Poland lose.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verena

Post by verena »

Please Ireland, please please win your match tonight.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Cracking goal from Frankie boy. No Becks, no Stevie = convincing looking England. If ever there was a case for Lampard over Gerrard, that was it. And Luke Young looked pretty solid too. And the Roon had some great moments. Would love to see him truly flourish in '06. The way he turned and lost his man and unleashed a decent shot on goal was cracking. Shame about Ireland, though.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I am simply devastated by an appalling performance by Poland.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

they werebn't that bad. Some tight defending, and took advantage of a lack of marking by England to score, but we were too good to stop on the night!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Oh the joy of seeing an England team that look convincing - I cant describle it only to say it did my heart a power of good!! OK now I think we are at least in with a chance of wining the world cup im off to buy my England flag bunting ready to decorate the front of the house as usual!! :lol:

Can I just say that King was magnificent in his new position last night? OK ive said it!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

WSS?, did you turn out for USA v. Panama last night? Didn't think so - from what I saw on TV, it looked like maybe 45 people showed up. :lol:

Nike is desperately trying to stir up interest (and sales). The T shirt is cool.

http://www.nike.com/nikesoccer/dtom/dtom.html
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:WSS?, did you turn out for USA v. Panama last night? Didn't think so - from what I saw on TV, it looked like maybe 45 people showed up. :lol:

Nike is desperately trying to stir up interest (and sales). The T shirt is cool.

http://www.nike.com/nikesoccer/dtom/dtom.html
Yeah, I really like that logo. Wish they would adopt that as their new crest, in place of the flying soccer ball thingy. Hell, I wish we still had that as our national flag - a flag with some balls. :-) Like this bad boy:

The game was in Foxboro, wasn't it? A bit far for me, especially in this god-awful waether we've been having - will we ever see the sun again? I watched the second half on ESPN2 after I got the kids tucked in - nice to see Twellman score his first. The win also puts us top of the group, ahead of Mexico, which makes me happy.

I still don't know if we have what it takes to do much of anything at the finals in Germany, but I thought the same thing in 2002, and we made a fair showing there. Man, I wanna go to the World Cup. Can't I get a month off and some cheap tickets, airfare, hotel? No? Didn't think so.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

taylor twellman is a twit!

there, I've said it and I feel better.

I had control of the remote long enough to see both goals, and it looked like it was in the bag. I am disappointed that Freidel isn't coming back.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:taylor twellman is a twit!

there, I've said it and I feel better.
He has a ridiculous name, but why do you dislike him so much? Must admit that I don't watch much MLS, so maybe I've missed something.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it's just completely irrational and unexplainable. and his middle name is timothy!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:it's just completely irrational and unexplainable. and his middle name is timothy!
Oh dear! What were his parents thinking - or drinking?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote: Can I just say that King was magnificent in his new position last night? OK ive said it!! :lol:
We've disagreed about a few Spurs players in the past, Gilli, but you are dead right.

You look at all the successful sides of the past forty years and there was always a 'Nobby Stiles' who won the ball with no nonsense and gave it to the better passers of the ball. Now, I happen to think there's a lot more to Ledley's game than that, but he is one of the most disciplined players I've seen in the premiership. He can distribute the ball, rarely loses his man and is very versatile. Gerrard, Cole, Lampard and Beckham are great players, but they cannot play together. I haven't seen a better option than King as the holding player (except Carrick maybe :wink: ).

No doubt Sven will drop him for Hargreavezzzzzzzzzzzzz next match.
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

We've disagreed about a few Spurs players in the past, Gilli, but you are dead right.
Can we have him?

Maybe he wants to win some trophies.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

You couldn't afford him...you've spent all your cash on a big white jumbo :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Talking of wasting money on new players Jackson what is your opinion of Jermaine Jenas? Im not impressed at all so far. In the England matches he has trouble passing to the right side!! Im hoping its just 'settling in' teething problems but im not convinced........ :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

don't understand your joke I'm afraid, am I being thicker than normal?

Anyway, when does Ledley's contract expire?
Otis Westinghouse

Is it the means of transport from house to training ground or soccer pitch that Henry's laughable new contract demands? Why doesn't he just go to Barcelona or Real Madrid and have done with it?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

What new contract, have you been reading the current bun again?
Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Sounds like another non-story to me, but why is it laughable?
Otis Westinghouse

It's just sooooo predicatable that Va-Va-Groin-Strain's agent is either going to get an absurd pay deal to cushion the blow of having to spend more team in a past-its-prime English club or he's off to Spain. Or maybe Chelsea. Now that would make me laugh.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:Talking of wasting money on new players Jackson what is your opinion of Jermaine Jenas? Im not impressed at all so far. In the England matches he has trouble passing to the right side!! Im hoping its just 'settling in' teething problems but im not convinced........ :(
I wasn't convinced about Jenas initially and thought we'd wasted our money...however.......I've seen him a few times now and I think he's got something special, once he can work out that he needs to pass to a white shirt.

It could go one way or another. He's clearly very talented and some of his runs are astonishingly powerful and skilful. I have faith in Jol and thinkn that he sees something worth moulding. At this stage I'd put my money on him at about 55/45.

Don't give up yet.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

:D

Boring boring Chelsea.
Otis Westinghouse

Pretty amazing, though actually it was a massive pain that Bolton got one in, cos I lost about 8 FF points in that moment. Essien should have been red-carded. Simply disgraceful. And Gardner shouldn't. Essien going off might have made a difference, but they would still have won, I'd say. Nice win for Ruud, Roon and the ladz, and delicious defeat for Arsenal.