Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Gooners unite!
We're ahead of them on goal difference and they are out of that v important competition.
Giddy heights indeed!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Fair play to the Grimsby boys. They were awesome and deserved everything they got. I hope this wakes us up a little. 1 goal now in 5 is pretty piss poor by any standard. :( Champions League hopefuls?? I doubt it.

It's nice to know that Arsenal fans have started measuring their success against middle of the road Spurs....they've finally realised that you're now only the third best side in the league and can't compete with Chelsea.

The Arse are miles behind them now and playing for second place at best. One game playing pretty football against a woeful Everton side and you'd think they'd regained the title. Spurs beat them twice last year including a 5-1 thrashing...........did it make us champions.....it did not.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:The Arse are miles behind them now and playing for second place at best. One game playing pretty football against a woeful Everton side and you'd think they'd regained the title.
Oh, so is that what pretty football looks like? Two headed goals by Sol Campbell from set-pieces?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I saw this and instantly thought of this thread!! ;)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/ ... index.html

LIMA, Peru (AP) -- A chartered jet carrying 289 Gambian soccer fans pretended it needed to make an emergency landing so they could watch their team compete in the FIFA Under 17 World Championships, officials said Wednesday.

The plane, claiming to be low on fuel, landed Tuesday near the stadium in Peru's northern coast city of Piura.

"It truly was a scam," said Betty Maldonado, a spokeswoman for Peru's aviation authority, CORPAC. "They tricked the control tower, saying they were low on fuel."

Emergency crews were scrambled ahead of the unscheduled landing by the Lockhead L1011 Tri-Star, owned by Air Rum Ltd., Maldonado said.

The Air Rum plane, which she said was chartered by Gambian President Yahya Jammeh, should have made its approach to the capital, Lima, but instead flew directly to Piura, entering Peruvian air space "without permission."

The passengers were permitted to attend African team's 3-1 victory over Qatar on Tuesday night, she added, but the plane remained in Piura on Wednesday while authorities determined what penalty, if any, to levy against the airline.

Gambian newspaper Daily Observer reported on its Web page Wednesday that the group of fans had been delayed for a week in a hotel in the small West African nation and were forced Friday to watch their country's victory over Brazil on television.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

[quote="Jackson Monk"]It's nice to know that Arsenal fans have started measuring their success against middle of the road Spurs....they've finally realised that you're now only the third best side in the league and can't compete with Chelsea. (/quote]

I never seem to get this quote bit right.

My sarcasm is sometimes completely wasted.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Fishfinger king wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:It's nice to know that Arsenal fans have started measuring their success against middle of the road Spurs....they've finally realised that you're now only the third best side in the league and can't compete with Chelsea. (/quote]

I never seem to get this quote bit right.

My sarcasm is sometimes completely wasted.
Not wasted at all.........just thrown right back at ya. :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Can anyone tell me what the Quote thing is in the top right hand corner of the posts?

Looks like Penalty Taking exercise for Man City :)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Cracking win for the Spurs. We've got a thicker skin than in previous years and the squad's got more depth. Maybe we'll finally get into Europe this year....one can hope.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Incredible chucking away of a good lead by Charlton. Still, buying and making Bent captain today was one of my few sound moves in FF all season! (his 2 goals brought me 20 points). Corking result for MU. Sounds dead exciting. Hope I can be up in precisely (groan) 6 hours to watch highlights on the for some reason earlier this season Sunday highlights.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I need to get out more - Chelsea always seem to score lots of goals when I'm not following the match. Hopefully losing 1-4 at home will shut Jamie Fucking Carragher up for a while, but I doubt it.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

He has got the most irritating whiny voice...and he's so bloody overrated as a player.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Not quite 8 goals, WSS, but 5 ain't bad! :wink:

This is getting very boring.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:This is getting very boring.
For you maybe.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Ha! I wish y'all were more focussed on Baseball and could teach me what's what. Cause I'm new t'all this, the sports thing, ya know...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

If you want to join a football forum try here. I'm Dr.GoG. There is only a handful of regular posters so it could do with a few more.

http://www.laughfc.co.uk/forums/
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

It's good to know you've found another outlet for your outpourings.

Fell asleep during the Austria game. More interesting than what was happening on the pitch. Shite referee - pathetically inconsistent regarding not giving a second penalty, and there was no way Beckham deserved that second booking. But England look so feeble. Bring back Phil Neville. Let's hope Rooney can give it some conviction on Wednesday without steam coming out of his ears and expletives out his gob.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Bring back Phil Neville.
As the great John McEnroe says - you cannot be serious!!

Holland wins so England is through to the WC finals. Damn, I was looking forward to seeing invisible pole and the England contingent trading barbs.

Four African clubs who have never before qualified for the WC are through to the finals - Ivory Coast, Togo, Angola and Ghana. That's the big footy story of the weekend if you ask me. England will do nothing until they get rid of Sven. There are far too many world-class players in the England squad to get the kind of half-hearted performances SGE has been drawing from that squad. I know I'll get slaughtered for this, but if Mourinho were appointed today (God forbid), he would have them playing like world-beaters by Wednesday's match with Poland.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

England are usually pretty shit in the autumn, although they have exceeded themselves this year. Sven hasn't done a lot wrong, he tried a different formation which didn't work and has reverted to the formation that has worked best. My favoured formation (especially with the regular full backs injured) would be three at the back with Beckham and Richardson playing as attacking wingbacks. You could then have a proper holding midfielder (Parker/King) with FL & SG further forward and Rooboy and the boy Michael up front. I don't think there are any outstanding teams in Europe at the moment and so if England can hit form next summer anything is still possible. Everyone seems to think that cos SGE isn't English he can't motivate the players, yet the players are all English (apart from Hargreaves, who shouldn't be there anyway, lets hope his injury is terminal) playing for England so what further motivation should they need. blah blah blah
signed with love and vicious kisses
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Who Shot Sam ? wrote :
I was looking forward to seeing invisible pole and the England contingent trading barbs.
I'll do my best. :twisted:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

so lacklustre wrote:(apart from Hargreaves, who shouldn't be there anyway, lets hope his injury is terminal)
Couldn't agree more........what is the point of Owen Hargreaves.......the mere mention of his name sends me to sleep.....ZZZZZzzzzzz
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

He's quite good-looking.
verbal gymnastics

so lacklustre wrote:Sven hasn't done a lot wrong, he tried a different formation which didn't work and has reverted to the formation that has worked best.
I'm not sure I'd agree. I find it incredible that we are so far down the line and he still doesn't know what his best team is. England has some fantastic individual players. Sven doesn't have the balls to make a tough decision. Whatever happens, he will play Beckham irrespective of his level of fitness. Gerrard and Lampard in the middle doesn't work so he must adapt and put a player in there so that it will even if it makes him, gasp, unpopular.

Owen Hargreavezzzzzzzzz. A fop and a flop as far as I'm concerned.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Both teams are now in World Cup 2006 but I can't wait to see England beaten at Old Trafford. Roll on Wednesday !
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

Expect some talk of how we (England) relaxed a bit as the pressure was off.

I think we'll play really well now that Beckham is out and the pressure is off. It'll give someone else a great opportunity to play well and then get dropped.
Otis Westinghouse

Was talking to a camera man who had the job of being in charge of the 'international feed' camera crew for the Eng v Arg game in 2002. 250m audience, and there was some massive technical prob 10 mins before kick-off that made it look like they'd have no image. Fortunately it was righted, but he was massively stressed out by it, and hasn't wanted to do sports footage since. And he has no interest in football.