Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

VG: I judge people on how I find them to be - and every time we go to Wales I find them to be very pleasant and friendly. :?

Not looking forward to the England V Ireland match tonight - hope we put on a btter performance this time!

Unflair slating in the paper by Butcher on Beckham I thought. I dont think he was worse than anyone else last week and his passing both short and long range was impeccable.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

*adjusts glasses*

Is that England I see losing to Northern Ireland?

Surely Sven must go. The papers are going to rip him a new one.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

AAARRRGGGHHH!! :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Having recently said the Wales game was awful, I am lost for words about the Northern Ireland game. The only good thing I can say about it was...hmm let me get back to you on that one.

I may be some time.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

VG: I can sum it up in one word - DIRE!!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wenger's post-match interview...

Reporter : Dissapointing day Arsene ?

Wenger : Yez vereee dizzapointing, dizzapointing that Jelzee have won again playing poor football.

Reporter : I was refering to Arsenal's defeat.

Wenger : Yez of course we were missing some steel in the heart of defence, Sol Campbell or John Terry who we were about to sign when Jelzee offered him a new contract....but as you know it eez one market for Jelzee and another for the rest of us.

Reporter : Yes...quite, back to today where does that result leave Arsenal ?

Wenger : We nearly had hiim you know ?

Reporter : Who ? Maccarone ?

Wenger : No, Sean Wright Phillips. The deal had been thrashed out with Mr Pearce, they would take Cygan on loan for the rest of the season with an option to making it permenant....and two full sets of training clothing.....Then Jelzee stepped in..It's not fair.

Reporter : Some would say that for all Arsenals breathtaking forward play, the defence and in particular the keeper, are areas that require strengthening, what do you say to that ?

Wenger : Cech !!! Do you know we had been looking at him for five years and were just about to offer Rennes two North Bank tickets, good ones ! right in the middle, in exchange for Cech.....then Jelzee step in with a ridiculous offer.......it izz not fair.

Reporter : So no Henry, no points, coincidence ?

Wenger : I hate Jelzee, they've spoiled everything....We were going to rule ze World......It isn't fair, it isn't fair.

Reporter : Thanks very much Arsene.

Wenger : ..............I hate zem
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

And as for Man Bleedin' City. Psycho is such a change of events after Keegan.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

So Chelsea scrape win and have 13,000 empty seats. Are the chelscums getting bored with winning? or just the boring footie? Or is it that they feel ripped off (cheapest tickets were £35)? I like the look of Essien, but then for that money......

Henry out for 6 weeks, Arsenal may struggle.
Keane out for 6 weeks. Big sigh of relief from prem refs, they can put the cotton wool away for a while.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:So Chelsea scrape win and have 13,000 empty seats. Are the chelscums getting bored with winning? or just the boring footie? Or is it that they feel ripped off (cheapest tickets were £35)?
I think it's a combination of things. First and foremost - ticket prices. I know a number of season ticket holders who decided that it was not worth what CFC were asking to see Chelsea play Anderlecht on a Tuesday night. I hate to say it, but I also think that we have not been brilliant so far this season, so that's keeping some fans away as well. As I understand it, Arse includes 6 ties - Euro, FA Cup or Carling Cup - in its season ticket package. Chelsea does not. If you're a Chelsea season ticket holder and you want to see CL matches, you pay extra. Add that to the already exorbitant prices at The Bridge and you can understand why attendance is down. Hopefully last night's poor attendance will make Kenyon, Buck et. al. do something about the ticket situation. But I doubt it.

What you and other clubs' supporters need to be concerned about is that, even with our poor form, we've won six matches without conceding a single goal. We didn't start brilliantly last season and still strolled away with the trophy, and I expect the same thing to happen this time around, especially if Arsenal fail to solve their defensive problems and don't find a striker suitable to step in for the often-injured Henry.

Chelsea are not the only club with attendance problems. The PL gates are down in general. It's not a problem for Arse at their little shoebox, but wait until they move into their massive new stadium. It will not be full for FC Thun I wager (assuming you're still playing European football) - and it may not even be full for PL matches if you continue sliding down the table.

BTW so lack, that was a really world-beating performance by your boys against the mighty Thun Army this evening. Only a lucky last minute goal saving you from a very embarrassing result. That's the kind of entertainment we need more of at The Bridge - nasty fouls, players being sent off, comedy goalkeeping.

As for Rooney, what a moron. Sublime player with very little between the ears.
Otis Westinghouse

Wayne, oh Wayne!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I hope the red card (and some deserved telling-off from Ferguson) will finally make him cool down a bit. Anyone to replace him against Benfica or will they only play Ruud up front ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Solo Ruud, with a hat-trick on the cards. Nice to see Fergie being honest and not trying to defend Wayne. At some point he'll overcome the hot-headedness and just be a football genius full stop. I think a sports psychotherapist is called for. Could be symbolic that it's the same ref that sent Beckham off against Argentina in '98, as that was a rite of passage to Beckham's maturing.

On a non-footie note, was struck by your sig, IP, so googled and see it's M. Ward Vincent O'Brien, an artist and an LP that seems to have passed me by. (Isn't WHAR a fan due to the Conor Oberst connections?) Amazon sample of that plus others (amazing Let's Dance cover) sounds good. Do you rate the LP as highly as the five-star plaudits there, IP?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:On a non-footie note, was struck by your sig, IP, so googled and see it's M. Ward Vincent O'Brien, an artist and an LP that seems to have passed me by. (Isn't WHAR a fan due to the Conor Oberst connections?) Amazon sample of that plus others (amazing Let's Dance cover) sounds good. Do you rate the LP as highly as the five-star plaudits there, IP?
I think he has some association with Conor Oberst, but they really are nothing alike, Otis. I would highly recommend you pick up Transfiguration Of Vincent, his second LP (from 2003 I think). It includes the great "Let's Dance" cover and is easily one of my favorite albums of recent years. Transistor Radio, his most recent album, is beautiful too, if not quite as great as Transfiguration.

He sings songs in a kind of Waits-like desperate whisper and is a great guitarist to boot. I saw him live a few months ago at Bowery Ballroom in New York and was blown away. Incidentally, the same show featured the most grating opening act I've ever seen - the pretentious Coco Rosie. Nothing pretentious about M. Ward. The guy is an amazing talent - great great songwriter.

If you want to hear a little more of his stuff, check out the live set he did on KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" program earlier this year (click on the video link):

http://kcrw.org/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?show ... _type=show

P.S. - Actually, listening to that live set again, he says that he had been touring with Conor Oberst, so there you go.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I second what WSS? wrote. I heard Transfiguration Of Vincent for the first time about two weeks ago and was immediately blown away. Amazing album from start to finish.
It's apparently an homage to a deceased friend, which makes it even more poignant.
My signature comes from an excellent second track, "Vincent O'Brien".
(the second verse replaces 'he only sings' with 'he only drinks').

You have to check it out, Otis !
Otis Westinghouse

Will do. Yep, it was the touring thing that I had in mind, because this seems to be mentioned a bit when you read anything about him online.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

invisible Pole wrote:I second what WSS? wrote. I heard Transfiguration Of Vincent for the first time about two weeks ago and was immediately blown away. Amazing album from start to finish.
It's apparently an homage to a deceased friend, which makes it even more poignant.
My signature comes from an excellent second track, "Vincent O'Brien".
(the second verse replaces 'he only sings' with 'he only drinks').

You have to check it out, Otis !
For fuck's sake blokes.........I come here for footie talk!!!! :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Disappointed in Rooney again - who should be re-named Rooney the looney. There really is no excuse for his behaviour - he might be young but he is an adult! I especially didnt like the way he reacted to Beckham when being told to calm down - total disrespect for his captain should not be tolerated. I think Sven should think long and hard about shaping the team up without him - the last thing we need is a loose cannon with all our other problems! :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:Disappointed in Rooney again - who should be re-named Rooney the looney. There really is no excuse for his behaviour - he might be young but he is an adult! I especially didnt like the way he reacted to Beckham when being told to calm down - total disrespect for his captain should not be tolerated. I think Sven should think long and hard about shaping the team up without him - the last thing we need is a loose cannon with all our other problems! :(
Sven should stick Lampard on the bench and quit dicking around with 4-5-1.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Rooney is a Wayneker but the ref is a bit of a pillock too.

Lampard and Gerrard should play one half each and run their bollocks off. England need to increase the match tempo when they are playing 'lesser' sides.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Lampard and Gerrard should play one half each and run their bollocks off. England need to increase the match tempo when they are playing 'lesser' sides.
I like that idea. So happy that Gerrard stayed at Liverpool. They just get in each other's way when they play together.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow - Liverpool v ManU. Good to see some entertaining football after the boring stuff Chelsea had on display yesterday. ;-)

I fully expect Mourinho to take the blame. Something along the lines of, "The pressure Mourinho is putting on the other clubs is forcing them to play defensively. He is ruining the national game."
so lacklustre

I'm taking my ball home

Post by so lacklustre »

I'm taking my ball home.
Sir Alex Ferguson is refusing to speak to Manchester United's MUTV station after one of the presenters criticised him.
(Daily Mirror)
Otis Westinghouse

A man of principle. MUTV is there to serve the glory and honour of the finest institution in the history of football. Criticism of one of the key players in the entire history of said institution shall not be brooked.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Rooney suspended for two games in Champions League.
Was his behaviour criticised on MUTV, btw ?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Grimsby 1-0 Tottenham

Grimsby's Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala struck with only a minute left to send Spurs crashing out of the Carling Cup at an ecstatic Blundell Park.
Kamudimba Kalala fired home a powerful right-foot strike from 20 yards to give Russell Slade's League Two leaders a deserved victory.

It was a major embarrassment for a below-par Spurs side boasting five England players and 10 internationals.

Robbie Keane almost equalised in injury time, but Steve Mildenhall saved well.

Despite the strength of the Spurs side, Grimsby refused to be over-awed by their more illustrious opponents and striker Michael Reddy's all-action style soon proved a real menace to the Londoners.

Spurs should have taken the lead after 22 minutes when Andy Reid raced clear inside the box, but Mildenhall was alert and made a crucial block. Two minutes later Grimsby came even closer to finding the net.

Kalala delivered a cross from the right and after Gary Jones nodded back across the face of goal, Reddy was inches away from making crucial contact.

England goalkeeper Paul Robinson then saved brilliantly from Andy Parkinson as Grimsby threatened again, turning away a long-range curling drive. Grimsby continued to press after the restart and Reddy had a golden opportunity to make the all-important breakthrough.

He found himself clear of Tottenham's defence with only Robinson to beat but the forward could only watchin agony as his attempted lob sailed harmlessly wide.

But with time running out, Kalala struck from distance after Parkinson's corner was headed out to him on the edge of the box to put Mariners fans in dreamland.

:lol: