What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

they have country miles in NEW YORK CITY?:lol:

Rockpile - Provoked Beyond Endurance
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:they have country miles in NEW YORK CITY?:lol:
Y'all ain't from around these parts, are ya?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Just got this. I must admit I'm having trouble melting it. I can tell it will take several listens before I fully appreciate it, but I like it so far. Only downside is That's Really Super, Supergirl because of the horrible chorus vocals.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Chrille wrote:Only downside is That's Really Super, Supergirl because of the horrible chorus vocals.
I love that song, cheesey backing vocals and all. Not the most substantial thing on the album, but full of witty lines and never fails to put a smile on my face. Good old Partsy.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Its cool looking at all these freaky album covers. Like browsing at a hip record store.

I picked up the Jayhawks' Rainy Day Music on the recommendation somewhere on this board of Blue Chair and Pophead2k. Gave it a first listen today. Very good. Great harmony singing. Anxious to listen to it a lot more. Also picked up Billy Bragg/Wilco - Mermaid Ave. on the same purchase due to the plug given by Miss Buenos Aires, and gave it a first listen . . . and goddamit, this is also really, really good. "Birds and Ships" I had heard before on one of my kids CD's and I went rummaging through them and found it on a Martha Stewart kids CD. Ha!

Thanks for the advice!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Like me, the "g" is silent.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

It's taken a couple listens for me to appreciate it but now I do. It reminds me alot of U2's first album Boy, and as good as that is I do like this better.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Zimbo, zimbo, zimbo, zimbo, zimbo ...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:Its cool looking at all these freaky album covers. Like browsing at a hip record store.

I picked up the Jayhawks' Rainy Day Music on the recommendation somewhere on this board of Blue Chair and Pophead2k. Gave it a first listen today. Very good. Great harmony singing. Anxious to listen to it a lot more. Also picked up Billy Bragg/Wilco - Mermaid Ave. on the same purchase due to the plug given by Miss Buenos Aires, and gave it a first listen . . . and goddamit, this is also really, really good. "Birds and Ships" I had heard before on one of my kids CD's and I went rummaging through them and found it on a Martha Stewart kids CD. Ha!

Thanks for the advice!
Glad you liked the Jayhawks- that will only grow more on you. Mermaid Ave. is also excellent, as is its sequel. 'California Stars' is regularly featured in Wilco's concert repertoire.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Just out of curiousity, Otis, where is Zimbo originally from? Was it a single, or was it only ever played live?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Chrille

I think on the issue you have they have just tacked a few live bonus tracks onto the end of the record, "Zimbo" being one of them, its on the record proper too but its called "All My Colours".
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Aha, I haven't listened to the extra tracks yet. I usually leave them for when I know the original album well enough.
Otis Westinghouse

I have a 12" with them playing it live at some open air event. Is it the same recording. I enjoyed seeing them live in 2002.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The news on Billboard.com made me go back and refresh this one :

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

A bit dated I suppose but I still love this album and think it's one of the best things Lou's ever done.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I am in awe of Josh Rouse... 1972, Nashville, and now this.. all in the space of four years. He's quickly staking his claim as this generation's penultimate singer-songwriter.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

BlueChair wrote:[ He's quickly staking his claim as this generation's penultimate singer-songwriter.
Saving a space for someone?? :D
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

BlueChair wrote: I am in awe of Josh Rouse... 1972, Nashville, and now this.. all in the space of four years. He's quickly staking his claim as this generation's penultimate singer-songwriter.
There will only be one more?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, I guess I shoudn't be so bleak. Let's just say I just hope in thirty years people will remember Josh Rouse.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

The new 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' reissue. It doesn't sound that much better, but the extra tracks are very nice.
Otis Westinghouse

So what's Subtítulo like?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

All-Music describes it better than I could ever:

Josh Rouse's seventh album Subtitulo is a warm and relaxed affair, much more so than any of his already quite warm and relaxed previous records. Produced again by Brad Jones, Rouse and a small group ... recorded these ten songs in Rouse's new home country of Spain, Puerto de Santa Maria to be exact, and the album that resulted is perfect for dreaming a siesta away. His pure and easy vocals, gently strummed chords that nuzzle up against one another like drowsy lovers, and charmingly introspective lyrics combine to produce an almost cocoon-like listening experience. Whether extolling the easy life in a small town ("Quiet Town"), remembering idyllic summers of his youth ("Summertime"), reveling in new love ("It Looks Like Love"), or in old and lovely love (the truly magnificent "Wonderful" which features strings that will set your heart adrift), Rouse sounds perfectly at ease, as if he were just playing for fun with no tapes rolling. Even the song about kicking the bottle (the disco-fied "Givin' It Up"), and the melancholy narratives about knuckleheads with messed-up lives ("Jersey Clowns"), broken-hearted losers ("The Man Who..." which has some cool, spy music guitar and sweetie-pie vocals from Paz Suay), and boredom ("El Otro Lado") are sun-kissed and mellow. In fact, this record is so laid-back and blissed-out that if he felt like it Rouse could become sort of a Jimmy Buffett for the bedroom set, an inspiration for people who would rather be contemplative than inebriated, people who would rather sit in their bedroom lazily dreaming rather than washing up in the foam at a Key West hangout. It is unlikely that Rouse would allow himself to fall into any kind of repetitive groove, as each record he cuts is pretty different from the last, but if he puts out the occasional album as lovely, quiet, and cozy as Subtitulo, there will be nothing to complain about. Better yet if he did it every six months or so.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I don't know Blue. The last few albums have been about as mellow as I'd want to get. Any mellower and I might fall asleep. I wish he'd do something with a little more of an edge to it, more like Under Cold Blue Stars.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

I don't actually think this one is totally mellow. There are some lovely bits of melody and it holds your attention. Track 9, 'The Man Who...' is a stunning duet and many of the songs unfurl their beauties after a number of plays. It starts as mellow and delightful but in a background-music kind of way, before gradually establishing itself. Recommended, from someone who has enjoyed pretty much everything the man's ever done.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks Ambassador. I'll be down in Manhattan this weekend and might drop by HMV to give it a spin on one of the listening stations.