Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You need to understand the difference between winning but dull football and superior but less likely to to succeed football. I haven't seen the quote you are referring to but I wouldn't believe everything you read as far as football quotes are concerned, they usually get twisted.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:You need to understand the difference between winning but dull football and superior but less likely to to succeed football.
You need to understand that when your team has not won the league in 50 years, its supporters will take whatever kind of football is necessary to win the title. And there were plenty of great moments last season. I remember those dull, defensive George Graham teams at Arsenal, but everyone talks as if Arsenal have been playing free-flowing attacking football for ages.

The other thing to consider is that it was only Mourinho's first year at Chelsea. Wenger took a few years to establish his style.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Wenger won the double in his first full season, admittedly not in the style of later seasons but the signs were there. Wenger also didn't have a bottomless pit of money. Mourinho has done very well at all his clubs so far and I'm not knocking him, just trying to explain the difference between the different styles. You just seem to be on the defensive, just like Chelsea ha ha.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:You just seem to be on the defensive, just like Chelsea ha ha.
At least we have a defense. Senderos has looked shaky so far this season and now I'm reading rumors about Sol wanting out. Last Englishman out of Highbury turn off the lights.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Good news for Gillli.....Martin Jol must have a few quid burning a hole in his pocket now...this from BBC

"Kanoute completes Sevilla switch. Spanish side Sevilla have completed the signing of Mali striker Fredi Kanoute from Tottenham in a £4.4m deal".
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Ahem, Carvalho has started the moaninhoing after being left out of the first game. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 160386.stm
Quality response from the Special One:

"Ricardo Carvalho seems to have problems understanding things, maybe he should have an IQ test. Ricardo has worked with me for four years and I do not understand these quotes, he probably needs to see a doctor."

Go get 'em, Jose.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:Ahem, Carvalho has started the moaninhoing after being left out of the first game. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 160386.stm
Quality response from the Special One:

"Ricardo Carvalho seems to have problems understanding things, maybe he should have an IQ test. Ricardo has worked with me for four years and I do not understand these quotes, he probably needs to see a doctor."

Go get 'em, Jose.
Fantastic!!!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Didn't see it, but sounds like Carragher, Rio, Johnson and James had a shocker.
Not to mention Ashley 'Tap Up' Cole. He was singled out by Hansen as the guiltiest of being present on the pitch only in body. Apparently he's just got engaged, so I guess his mind was elsewhere. Long may it last.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You went drinking after work again, didn't you?
Otis Westinghouse

Not to any excess, and the above was written with the most lucid of minds.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Another 1-0 victory, but I'll take any victory over the Arse, especially in the League. Sounds like it was a flukey goal by Drogba. I am completely footy-less this weekend, up at my father's place in Connecticut.

I'll sit back with some swordfish and a bottle of wine tonight and savor Arsene's misery.
Otis Westinghouse

Dang, that's two weeks running mediocre Chelsick have fluked a 1-0 late in the game. Last season they earned their 1-0s. Still at least I made the right move in selecting the (below par) as captain ahead of the (also below par) Thierry. (Which reminds me, why can't someone tell the Radio 5 commentators that, in the same way that 'Henry' is pronounced 'On-ree', 'Del Horno' is also silent of 'h', 'Orno', not the absurd sounding 'Del Horno'. the randy Spanish player (with the Pot Noodle Horn! God that is the most disgusting advert EVER!). They should be on 2 points only by now. Still, if it's Arse they're beating, fair enough. Spurs are the only North London club with any balls this season. Go Jol go! (Which also reminds me, does Martin Jol really have a brother called Cock, or Cok, or Kok, or Kock?) The ball fumbling in off Drogba's over-sized shins sounds like high comedy.

Ashley Cole wins the award for Disgraceful Twat of the Week, a) for so obviously not giving a toss in Denmark and b) for a cynical hack from behind on Essien, I think. There have been some pretty harsh sendings off for far less this week, and he committed a worse offence than nearly all of them.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:They should be on 2 points only by now.
And yet they're on 6. Shame.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

*Singing* "We're top of the league and we're 'aving a laugh, We're top of the league and we're 'aving a laugh......" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:[And yet they're on 6. Shame.
You said it. Chequebook Prowess: 10 points; Action on the Grass: 1 point.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well, Arsene agrees with you. What an arrogant twunt. I hate the way they play, they are the death of football, they are undeserved champions, but I don't bedgrudge them anything. No, of course not Arsene. The idea that Chelsea should just open up and allow them to play their game is ludicrous.

Interesting that he compares Arsenal to Cassius Clay, because I think Clay/Ali's style would be more similar to Chelsea - let the opponent wear himself out then hit him on the counterattack (i.e. the famous "Rope-a-Dope" approach that you can see in his fight against Foreman):

'No inferiority complex' insists Wenger
First Published: Aug 23, 2005

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger denied his team has an inferiority complex but admitted they lacked belief during their 1-0 defeat against champions Chelsea on the weekend.

It was the second time in the space of two weeks that the deposed 2004 champions had lost to the team that succeeded them in May.

But Wenger is adamant that there has not been a shift in power across London despite comments from Chelsea defender William Gallas that Chelsea are the future of football and Arsenal the past.

His side may have lost the title to Chelsea by 12 points last season, but Wenger insisted: "Why should we have an inferiority complex? They have now won one league game against us in 10 years!

"It's all Chelsea at the moment but the two games they have played (1-0 wins against Arsenal and Wigan) show you how funny it is.

"They could have no points but they have six. So let's take a bit more (perspective). Those two games do not suggest to me that they are dominant in English football.

"I feel we should take the positives from Sunday's game. It was a really unlucky defeat in many ways.

"They didn't create more than we did, we were really unlucky with some decisions as there was a clear penalty and they scored a lucky goal.

"In fact, it should strengthen our belief. The players were very frustrated as they lost a game they felt they didn't deserve to lose."

Wenger has also vowed to continue his attacking approach despite the success of Chelsea with their more defensive formation, although he has expressed his fears for the beautiful game if other teams follow Chelsea's lead.

Wenger was himself guilty of opting for a safety-first approach to last season's FA Cup Final against Manchester United, which they eventually won on penalties despite being dominated for 120 minutes, but says he has no plans to repeat that.

"That trend is unfortunate for English football. We are all here because people come to the grounds and we should never forget that," he said.
"In our job, you can never say you would never do it and I don't want to accuse Chelsea of anything. It's a trend and we have to cope with it.

"I feel that Chelsea never open up, whether they are at home or away. I have nothing against teams that do that but the speed of our passing was not good enough to expose that.

"I want to win games and play good football. Chelsea play like that and they win, so you can't say they're wrong.

"It's a problem for their supporters, not for us. I don't say they have to make it easy for us.

"I love football and, for the game, it's important that teams are encouraged to take the initiative. Otherwise, the sport itself is in danger."

The Gunners have a chance to bounce back quickly with a home match against Fulham but Wenger could not resist a wry dig at Chelsea when asked if Mourinho's system was better than his.

"Chelsea are a great side - the greatest team in the world - and they won the game, I congratulate them," he said.

"I don't accuse them of anything, I just think Cassius Clay did more for boxing than any other boxer.

"The teams that stay in your memory are the ones that play and make sport into an art - I remember the great Real Madrid, Ajax and Brazil teams. That's why people love football.

"If the way to play the game is not to play then I will stay at home and read a book.

"It's not Chelsea's fault if we don't beat them, it's our own fault. But my players are frustrated and determined to put things right."
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Sorry for the language. I just couldn't help it. I've been waiting for 10 years for the Champions League and this time it felt closer than ever before. Yet we lost again.
I'm devastated.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sorry, pole. I assume you're a Wisla fan?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Yes, I'm a Wisla Cracow fan. I still cannot believe we were 5 minutes from CL and yet let Panathinaikos win. :(
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

BREAKING NEWS!!!

GALLAS IN KIDNAP PROBE

"Police have arrested 28 year old William Gallas for the alledged
kidnapping of professional footballer and Renault Clio spokesman,
Thierry Henry.

Mr Henry went missing in West London around 16:00 BST Sunday 21st August 2005, and has not been seen since.

42,136 eye witness recall seeing Henry, 28, being 'dragged' into the
back pocket of Mr Gallas.

One eye witness has informed police he may have seen him walk towards a tunnel at aproximately 18:00 BST, although police have not yet confirmed this information. The eye witness, who can not be named for legal reasons, remembers someone walking past him with a similar description (Blackcurrent shirt with a yellow 'O' pattern in the centre, dark skin, and smelling faintly of onions) and calling out "Ei Bobby, what's the
french for I choked.....again?"

Police feel this may have been gang related. Four men in blue shirts
were also spotted in the area. According to residents in the area, they
are known as 'the back four.'

Police are appealing for any information and should contact
Crimestoppers on 0800 500 111 if they know the whereabouts of Mr T.
Henry." [/b]
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I think the next time we play Arsenal we should just open it up and let Henry run wild, for the good of football.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nice CL draw - Liverpool, Anderlecht and Real Betis.

Revenge will be sweet!

Joke draw for Arse. Maybe they'll be able to squeeze past the group stage this season. Looks like Dein's been greasing some palms.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Frank Lampard's choice of name for his daughter is very unkind. Can't guess what she'll be called at school.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Nice CL draw - Liverpool, Anderlecht and Real Betis.

Revenge will be sweet!

Joke draw for Arse. Maybe they'll be able to squeeze past the group stage this season. Looks like Dein's been greasing some palms.
my thoughts entirely....they seem to get an easy draw every year.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Frank Lampard's choice of name for his daughter is very unkind. Can't guess what she'll be called at school.
Moon Unit?