Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

From a Liverpool fan site (keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Scousers):

but when you consider the EFFECTIVENESS of each player...without being seduced by the flashy flicks n tricks n grandstanding etc....

the ACTUAL EFFECTIVENESS of an attacking player = his ratio of goals, assists, chances he creates etc. to games played.. which player generally CONTRIBUTES more, to his team getting a positive result each time he plays..

then a straight comparison of the 2 yeilds some very intrigying data.. that when analysed gives 1 very conclusive result..

as an attacking player within a team..Crouch is A BETTER PLAYER than Ronaldinho Gaucho.

an eye-opener.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

as an attacking player within a team..Crouch is A BETTER PLAYER than Ronaldinho Gaucho.
I know who I'd rather have in my team.

Ballack to Manure?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Ballack to Manure?
I heard something about that a few days ago. With RvN and Ballack in the same team it would be Greg Louganis time.

Speaking of divers, what about Pires? Is he staying now that Vieira has gone, or is he on his way out as well?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Don't know, it seems to have gone a bit quiet. I think he'd like to stay at Arsenal, maybe the Valencia thing was a ruse to try and get that extra years contract that he wants. It won't work. I hope he stays, he may not always be first choice starter but great to have on the bench. I think his reputation as a diver has detracted from what a great player he has been over the past few seasons. Few midfielders, if any, have got as many goals as he. And even last season when he wasn't starting every game he still got his fair share.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

This is Wenger's second true test as a really great premiership manager IMHO - he'll never be a great European manager). His second good side are breaking up quickly. He dealt with it very well before when he lost the likes of Petit, Anelka and Overmars. How will he manage this time? I don't know much about Hleb, but he'll be going some to replace players like Viera and Pires.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hleb is a pleb.

Ryan a diver? Have you ever seen him play?

Ballack? Oh bollocks. Don't tell me I have to try and like that tedious pile of shite. One of my most hated players. Will learn to forgive him once we're top of the Prem, if this happens.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Ballack? Oh bollocks. Don't tell me I have to try and like that tedious pile of shite. One of my most hated players. Will learn to forgive him once we're top of the Prem, if this happens.
You just love German footballers, don't you? I recall you saying something similar about Oliver Kahn.

It's not Giggs I accused of diving - it was RvN - Van Nistelrooy. Giggs is a pretty classy player.
Otis Westinghouse

Of course! Sir Divealot! I almost wrote to say surely you mean 'Ruud' not 'Ryan'. Either my eyes are going or my brain. Yes, Ruud is a class diver. I'm not anti-German or nothing, it's just that they have a habit of producing repugnant footballers. Kahn is number 1, Ballack rates highly, that tall, bald, mental one rates higher still. I try to erase them from my mind, to avoid the nightmares.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Otis, you may sleep calm. Ballack has said today that he is staying with Bayern Munich.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

invisible Pole wrote:Otis, you may sleep calm. Ballack has said today that he is staying with Bayern Munich.

Must be off to Chelsea then.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Ballack-free zone - hooray. Jancker, that's the other one, right? easy for SLL to make a nice little verse up about him.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ballack, Jancker.

All we need now is some rumour about Kuntz and SoLack's got a win treble...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well it was well worth getting up early on a sunday to watch the Peace cup final this morning. Good performance by spurs who beat a top side in Lyon 3-1, and nice at last to have a bit of silver in the trophy cabinet at long last!!

Awesome duo in Mido and Keene, and I was also impressed with our goalie Cernys performance - he made some fine saves. Only fly in the ointment for me was when they bought waste of space Kanoute on :roll:

Looking forward to the new season with high hopes...... :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Edgar Davids is potentially good news

Anyone who has been watching Spurs in the past 12 months knows that Davids is exactly what Spurs need. Experience combined with tenacity.

Ok, so he's 32 and his wages will cost a bit. But even if he is a short-term fix, he'll help out what is the youngest squad in the league. We need to win something (or get into Europe) to attract the best players. Davids could make all the difference. Just hope he's still got plenty left in the tank.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

He might well prove to be a liability and a handful. there's something nice about seeing a legend on MOTD, even if he's well past his prime. Like Morientes.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

What is it with Spurs that they always sign up old aged pensioners? At this rate we will have to change our name to Chelsea pensioners united!! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Do we have a league in the Fantasy footie yet? Ive just sorted my team for this season........ :twisted:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:What is it with Spurs that they always sign up old aged pensioners? At this rate we will have to change our name to Chelsea pensioners united!! :roll:
Very strange comment Gilli. The average age of the Spurs squad is just over 23!! The youngest in the Premiership by a considerable margin.
With the exception of Naybet (who was a necessary acquistion and a success overall), which OAPs are you referring to?

I think you could well be eating your words in a few months Gilli.

You only have to look down the road to see what Bergkamp has acheived to see that age prejudice is not always in your best interests.

...and since when did 32 years mark you out as an OAP? I must be positivelu ancient! :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Gillibeanz wrote:Do we have a league in the Fantasy footie yet? Ive just sorted my team for this season........ :twisted:
No rush. You can hang onto your team and enter into the league once it exists. I'll do the necessary early next month. will start a new thread just for it.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Jackson: I'm not saying that im unhappy with the team as it stands - and yes I think we will do better next season. Im saying a lot of the big signings we go for are lets say very mature players.....Naybet, Sherringham, Klinnsmann, Ginola to name but a few - all the wrong side of 30! Sure age brings experience, but also short term playing for big bucks. Young sides grow together which is why I have high hopes for the team we have now. :D

PS: Sell Kanoute.....please sell Kanoute.......

PPS: Im off to the Fantansy site to jiggle my team again..... :wink:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Davids has been shit since he stopped taking the drugs. He should fit in well. :lol:
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Good news for Gilli:

"West Ham have made an approach to re-sign striker Freddie Kanoute from Tottenham, but they have been told to increase their offer". (The Guardian)
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Jackson Monk wrote:Good news for Gilli:

"West Ham have made an approach to re-sign striker Freddie Kanoute from Tottenham, but they have been told to increase their offer". (The Guardian)
*singing* "Joy to the world and la la and stuff...."!! This is the best news ive had all week! Tell them if it makes any difference i'll make a donation to Spurs to subsidise West Hams purchase!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fairly entertaining Community Shield - two superb goals from Drogba - I'll take more of that this season. Of the new additions, I was impressed by Hleb, less so by Del Horno. Senderos looked shaky. Makelele the nuts - as usual.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well my boys will be happy with that Chelsea performance....

SO LACK: HAVE THAT!! Never mind - I hope you can afford a beer to cry into!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!