New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by BlueChair »

Red & I saw Sharon Jones several months ago and had the exact same thing happen - sound problems hampering most of the performance. Do sound guys typically tour with the specific band, or are they usually people who work for the venue? Either way, odd coincidence. Great show, anyway. Glad you enjoyed it.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

'Smaller' acts (i.e. those traveling in a van and playing for cover) are at the mercy of the venue as far as sound goes. 'Bigger' acts typically travel with their own sound personnel who then works closely with venue personnel who have a much more intimate knowledge of a club's gear, idiosyncracies, etc. 'Huge' acts who play stadiums and large halls usually travel with their own P.A., or at least mixing board and a full complement of sound people. These boards are pre-programmed and permanently marked in order to allow bands to incorporate samples, effects, reverb for particular places, etc. Not sure where SJ and the Dap Kings fall int his continuum, but I doubt they travel with their own P.A.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I enjoyed her on Later and she didn't seem to need to berate the BBC soundfolk (and can't we just call her a 'showwoman', especially with that fun double 'w'!). Mention here for the new Later format - 30 mins broadcast entirely live on a Tuesday, expanded one hour edition in its traditional Friday slot (the moment the music ends on Jonathan Ross it's time to switch over!). I think this is a great move, lmost makes up for the lack of other good music programmes on. And as ever the eclectic mix of acts has been really good. Anyone see the entirely mad but rather impressive Yeasayer this week?

I seem to have my priorities wrong. Neil Young and Björk are two names high up my 'must see' list, and both have played Hammersmith Apollo in recent months and I didn't even make an effort to get down there. Reading this review of Bjork in today's Observer makes me realise this was a mistake. The costume described looks incredible in the photo.

I shall have to console myself with Lloyd Cole solo on home turf tomorrow and Edwyn Collins Tuesday week in London. The former is fifth time, the latter is one to strike off the 'must see' list, and I never thought I would, so that's really quite special.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I looked at getting tickets for both of those, but they were very expensive. I would have paid it for Bjork but they only had tickets left near the back for £60+.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

It's a pain, isn't it? Would have been much easier back in the 70s. If I didn't have dependents, I'd just hang the cost and go to at least one a week.

This is more humble, but no less the lovely for it. Lloyd in Glasgow on the opening night of the current tour doing 'Like Lovers Do'.

Otis Westinghouse

Boy what a gig. Lloyd's setlist played almost as if he'd asked me to select all my favourite songs. When at the end he asked for request (and promptly ignored all of them!), I was struggling to think of any of my faves that were unplayed (Trigger Happy, and OK, a few others too). Setlist went something like:

My Other Life (knew it was going to be special when he started with this)
Butterfly
Woman In A Bar
Vin Ordinaire
Why I Love Country Music
Chinese Translation (M. Ward cover)
Brand New Friend
Music In A Foreign Language
Travelling Light
2CV
That Boy (sublime)
Baby
Don't Look Back

[interval]
Impossible Girl (with standard Alice Cooper 'I bet even Lloyd Cole doesn't have a song about menstruation' tale)
Pay For It
Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken?
Lost Weekend
Late Night Early Town
Cut Me Down
The Young Idealists
No More Love Songs
No Blue Skies
Another Lover (described as one he was sick of when he recorded it but then came to recognise as one of his best, my friend Chris followed Lloyd's instructions to do backing vocals perfectly and won praise)
If I Were A Carpenter (Tim Hardin)
Perfect Skin

[encore]
So You'd Like To Save The World
Unhappy Song (with familiar Tom Waits chorus story)
Jennifer She Said (more backing vocals from Chris)

Maybe an omission or two, but I think these 28 gems were more or less it. He talked of trying to work out the best selection of songs to play on the forthcoming Dublin live recording. Hope you're there for that, Martin (and John?).

A great song catalogue beautifully rendered. My life would be nowhere near as complete without this in it. The only downside was that, unlike the last three Lloyd gigs I've been to, Jackson Monk wasn't there with me!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The first 2 Lloyd shows at Whelans are sold out but I've managed to get a ticket for the 3rd night, on Sunday. This is actually the best night since Fri & Sat have 10:30 curfews, the place turns into a disco at 11. So those night will be glorified sound checks and Lloyd should be good and rested having not had to travel for a few days. Thanks for the tip, Otis.
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Hey Otis, thanks for the Lloyd Cole review. I got back late saturday night from holidaying in Perth so missed LC at Bolton. Luckily for me he is back in the North west at begining of June in Buxton and Blackburn so definately will make one of those shows following your rave review.
Gonna book for the Joe Jackson / Shelby Lynne show at the Bridgewater in June
...I want him to hurt...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

You could have yelled out Naked at the end, that was a good one when I saw him. The Young Idealists is a great song, but I'm starting to hear a lot of those songs in my head now, gonna put him on.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

colrow26 wrote:Gonna book for the Joe Jackson / Shelby Lynne show at the Bridgewater in June
I'm envious. The closest Joe was this time was in Atlanta and we weren't able to make it. Let me and Doc know how it is!
Otis Westinghouse

bambooneedle wrote:You could have yelled out Naked at the end, that was a good one when I saw him.
Undressed, that is. A live staple. That and Like Lovers Do were ones I missed last night, but happily so in favour of less expected gems. For Crying Out Loud has stayed with me as a great experience. Seems Lloyd was surprised at its popularity among fans, but it's obviously touched a lot of people deeply.

Colrow: do go see him if you are into him at all. And here's to MU stuffing Barça tomorrow!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I'm sure he could pull countless songs out of his bag... there's another one, "my head is spinning with poetry and prose.."
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Spooky Girlfried wrote I'm envious. The closest Joe was this time was in Atlanta and we weren't able to make it. Let me and Doc know how it is!
Tickets for JJ now booked so full review will be forthcoming! looking forward to seeing Shelby Lynne as support too
Otis wrote Colrow: do go see him if you are into him at all. And here's to MU stuffing Barça tomorrow
Otis, just booked to see LC in Blackburn, been 24 years since i saw Lloyd and the Commotions at the Hacienda so looking forward to show. Loved his last two albums especially Music in a foreign language - will let you know what he plays at Blackburn show.

Fingers crossed for United in Barca tonight, gutted i couldnt make it but i only returned from holiday in Perth late Saturday night.
...I want him to hurt...
Otis Westinghouse

Will settle for 0-0, though how could Ronaldo miss a penalty? I only saw 20 mins, but the ref didn't give an entirely blatant penalty (Marquez on Ronaldo, barged him over, no effort to be anywhere near a ball). We can win on Tues! Will you be there?

Well done for Lloyd ticket. If you like the smaller scale vibe of the latest CDs, you will love the solo show. Can't wait for there to be the official release of a Dublin show. For now will content myself with the decent Dundee April 14 (and been listening to Sydney from a year ago care of Bamboo at bedtime of late!). He played My Bag there, and it works really well in its solo arrangement.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I had the immense pleasure of seeing Ron Sexsmith open for Nick Lowe in Chapel Hill, NC last night. The two played in a very small theatre usually used for plays. I would say capacity was 200 at most. Needless to say, it was an 'intimate' gig. This was my first time to see either of them.

Ron opened with a terrific show that spotlighted a few songs from his upcoming June release. On first listen, Ron fans can be very excited. He also played his classics, including a vrey lovely version of 'Strawberry Blonde', 'Cheap Hotel', and closed with 'Secret Heart'. For the latter he mentioned that it had been covered by Nick Lowe, Rod Stewart, and Feist, but he wasn't "rich yet". He was self-effacing and charming throughout.

Nick came out after a short break. He also sounded fantastic, although he claimed to be a little hoarse. During his set he played several songs from At My Age and a brand new one called 'I Read A Lot', which fits in perfectly with his latter-day material that focuses on rueful, lonely reflection. Like Ron, Nick was charming and looked quite fit in a white shirt and black trousers. I was a little shocked at how old he looks, but he can still wow a crowd. Other highlights included 'When I Write the Book', 'Shelly My Love', 'I Knew the Bride', 'Without Love', 'All Men are Liars', 'Lately I've Let Things Slide', 'I Trained Her to Love Me' and the requisite set closer, 'PL&U'.

The crowd was quiet and attentive and the tiny venue allowed for very clear voice and acoustic guitar. I'm 40 and I would say I skewed the crowd young. Lots of gray ponytails, a few faded Costello t-shirts, and comfortable paunches.

Sorry about the lack of setlists, but as I don't know every single song by either of them, I didn't even try. Great show and a nice midweek evening out.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Nice, pophead.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

New Ron LP! Yay!

Exit Strategy of the Soul, it turns out.

http://www.ronsexsmith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2403

Was he solo at this gig? I've never seen him solo and am dying to.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

One of the songs he said would be on the forthcoming album was called 'Brandy Alexander' and he said he'd written it with Feist and they'd both recorded it. He said his had a lot of horns on it, but we had to imagine it last night.
Otis Westinghouse

check out my link for more on Brandy Alexander, and one of the other threads on the new LP there says every track has horns, which could be brilliant!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Squeeze and Aimee Mann are doing a show together here in August. That'd be a hard one to pass up..
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

...new Aimee Mann album out begining of June with the interesting title of "??!!@** Smilers"...
...I want him to hurt...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lloyd Cole in Dublin last night was great. Lot of old songs and obscurities. He did slightly different versions of the older songs, refreshing them , just like Paddy MacAloon did on that extra disc with re-issue of Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen. I wasn't keeping setlist notes, sorry.

Plans for the shows coming out as a live album may be up for revision , going by Lloyd's web comments this morning. The venue has been extended somewhat in the last year. Bar noise was apparent but understandable , it being Friday night etc. It'll be just as mad tonight but he should get optimum conditions tomorrow evening.

http://www.lloydcole.com/weblog/index.php?p=2436&c=1

Dear all
Sorry I wasn't in bar, as I said I would be, aftershow. I'm afraid changes at Whelan's since my last shows took me by surprise when I was onstage and I took several hours to recover from this. If I seemed ill at ease tonight, it is because I was. The new Whelan's set up with the upstairs bar being closer to the stage meant that I was hearing much more bar noise than I expected (last time I heard almost nothing which was why I chose this venue for the recording). I hope the show was Ok for those who attended. I thought that the audience was wonderful. Tomorrow I'll try to address the problems and we'll see how it goes. G'night
LC

Posted by: lloyd @ 25/04/2008
Otis Westinghouse

Does this mean the recording plans are scuppered? Maybe he'll ask them to reduce the noise somehow. I guess he will record all three and maybe Sunday will be the one. Presumably the setlist was pretty similar to the one I posted on the last page, which itself is identical to the one from the Dundee gig on Dime apart from a couple of songs. He did comment in Cambridge that he was trying to sort out what the setlist should be for the recording. In my view this was as close to the perfect solo setlist as could be. Starting with My Other Life is hardly what the Commotions era fans would turn up for, but for me was a dream.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bob Dylan, Iggy & the Stooges, Paramore, Chuck Berry (backed by the Silver Beats), the Black Keys and Wilco have been added to the Baltimore Virgin Festival lineup (Aug. 9-10), making it even more awesome. Unfortunately, my travel plans are pretty finalized at this point - but I figured this was worth posting for anybody near Baltimore.

Those acts join the previously announced Bloc Party, Cat Power, Duffy, Foo Fighters, Gogol Bordello, Jack Johnson, KT Tunstall, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, The Swell Season, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Kanye West, Nine Inch Nails, Stone Temple Pilots, She & Him and a reunited Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, among others. *drool*
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Sunday night I saw an excellent Ron Sexsmith/Nick Lowe concert. They both sounded great. Ron came out alone with his guitar and played for a half hour. He played some numbers from his new album that will be out in June. This was the last show both Ron and Nick were doing together. Ron was going out alone After Ron was done Nick came out. His guitar was always on stage so he walked up and just picked it up. I was surprised at how tall and gawky he was. He sounded great. His voice is very smooth. You could tell he liked Ron, because he said that this was not the last time they would both work together. Nick brought out Ron in his encore and they did 'Crying in the Rain'

There were 300-400 people in the audience.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain