Elvis plays Maplewood, MN, May 8 '07

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06003 ... orcatid=60

Elvis Costello & the Imposters
Myth, Maplewood, MN
Tue, May 8, 2007 07:00 PM
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Does anyone have information on the presale event scheduled for 3/12?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I'll be going!
mebloc

Post by mebloc »

New to the board and I'll be in Maplewood on Tuesday.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Minneapolis Star Tribune

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1526

http://www.vita.mn/event_detail.php?event_id=36989

To celebrate the release of his first 11 albums on digital and two cool new compilations (“The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Yearsâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

TJ posts to listserv -

Maplewood, MN The Myth

1. Welcome To The Working Week
2. Shabby Doll
3. The Beat
4. Lover's Walk
5. Party Girl
6. Strict Time
7. Big Tears
8. Clubland
9. All I've Got To Do
10. Beyond Belief
11. Alibi (w/I Found Out)
12. Watching The Detectives/Let Him Dangle (full song!)
13. American Gangster Time
14. Lipstick Vogue
15. Riot Act

first encore

16. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
17. Man Out Of Time
18. High Fidelity
19. Radio Radio
20. Uncomplicated
21. The Imposter

second encore

22. Alison
23. Dissolve
24. Hey Bulldog
25. Pump It Up
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding

Heard at soundcheck: Watch Your Step (I think, I could only hear brief
snippets through a door); Let Him Dangle (EC&I seemed to be working out
an
arrangement for this... Very cool to watch); Bedlam; The Name of This
Thing
Is Not Love
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.iwilldare.com/2007/05/09/elv ... tty-shirt/

Jodi blogs -

Elvis Costello and the mystery of the slutty shirt

10:51 am, 09.May.07

Let me tell you this Minnesotans, the Myth kind of blows goats. Well, it blows if you’re looking for atmosphere and ambiance and personality. If you like a neon-gilded, antiseptic, Vegas-like experience — have at it.

Elvis Costello should not have played the Myth.

As I was walking through the Toys R Us parking lot (fucking Maplewood) with Wolfdogg to get to the Myth, I turned to him and said, “I’ve never wanted to be at First Ave so badly in my life.â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.startribune.com/457/story/1173492.html

Concert review: Elvis Costello still shows great aim

Thirty years after his debut, the British vet rocked out in vintage style.

By Chris Riemenschneider, Star Tribune

May 09, 2007

For a guy who tours even more often than he reissues an album (which he does a lot), Elvis Costello once again managed to repackage his live show into a fresh, inspired outing Tuesday at Myth nightclub.

Choosing the sleek, hi-fi Maplewood venue was just the start of the surprises offered by the British rock vet, 52, whose last played the Twin Cities on a theater tour with New Orleans legend Allen Touissant for their 2006 album, "The River in Reverse." That gig featured Elvis like we'd never seen him before. This one was more the kind we always hope to see -- with loads of energy and playfulness and just enough of the radio hits to, well, pump up the crowd of 1,900.

Costello's only new product so far this year is another line of reissued CDs, including the 30th anniversary edition of his debut, "My Aim Is True," and two early-career compilations. He and his ever-reliable Imposters -- who watched the Arctic Monkeys tear up First Avenue a night earlier -- spent the first half of Tuesday's show hastily and excitedly digging through a treasure trove of under-appreciated gems from the '70s and '80s. The run included "Shabby Doll,"Lovers' Walk,"Little Triggers,"Party Girl" and "Beyond Belief," plus one nugget from 2002, "Alibi," which topped them all.

The show's first real hit, "Watching the Detectives," didn't arrive until a dozen songs in, and it came with an added dose of playful, gritty jamming. After "Detectives," Elvis introduced a new song called "American Gangster Time" that he said was about an unnamed "mercenary bastard." Hmmm.

The rest of the hits came in the two encores, which together almost lasted as long as the hourlong regular set. Besides "Pump It Up,"Radio, Radio,"(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding" and a solo/acoustic "Alison," Costello also left the crowd panting with extra-feisty versions of "High Fidelity" and the Beatles' "Hey, Bulldog."

Chris Riemenschneider • 612-673-4658 • chrisr@startribune.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
who watched the Arctic Monkeys tear up First Avenue a night earlier --
The show Elvis saw-

http://www.startribune.com/457/story/1170331.html

Concert review: Minneapolis debut is short and sweet for Arctic Monkeys

CONCERT REVIEW: The British band lived up to the hype with a breathless, breakneck 75-minute performance.

By Chris Riemenschneider, Star Tribune

Last update: May 08, 2007 – 8:47 PM
So that's what the hype was all about ...

A year after shooting to the top of the U.K. charts with their debut album, the Arctic Monkeys proved during a frantically paced sold-out show Monday night at First Avenue that English fans weren't off their rocker.

At least for now, these Monkeys are a live band first and foremost, something their fellow Brits apparently knew well. Even more than on their two records -- each crammed with choppy, punky, hyperstrung rock and subtle hints of ska and hip-hop -- the barely legal Sheffield lads didn't let up or lose their way during their Twin Cities debut. Save for the intermittent beer guzzle, they were 100 percent invested for 75 straight minutes.

With "Brianstorm," the opener of their new sophomore CD "Favourite Worst Nightmare," the band quickly showed off its knack for stopping on the dime and making speedy, cocksure time changes.

"Tight" took on a new meaning as they then tore through four straight tracks off their first album, including "Still Take You Home" and "Dancing Shoes," both of which found fans singing along verbatim.

"Relax! Roll a spliff," frontman Alex Turner said between songs, as the crowd at times acted as hyper as the music.

Looking like an unlikely cross between one of the Small Faces and Lulu, the waify Turner showed bright-eyed enthusiasm throughout, commenting on everything from the First Ave staff carrying beer through the crowd to the smelly towels that he claimed are an American trademark. He also repeatedly pointed to drummer Matt Helders, who was celebrating his 21st birthday Monday.

Helders donned a Twins batting helmet given to him for the closer, "A Certain Romance," although it might have come in handier a few songs earlier during the pandemonium that greeted "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor." Other highlights included the sing-songy new gem "D Is for Dangerous" and intense, intertwined versions of "Balaclava" and "Fake Tales of San Francisco."

Not surprisingly, the Monkeys didn't return for an encore. The 21 songs on the set list comprised nearly everything the band has recorded. And anyway, the many attendees who celebrated their 21st birthdays years ago were already spent by show's end -- spent and fully sold.

Chris Riemenschneider • 612-673-4658 • chrisr@startribune.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/poplife/index.php

Arctic Monkeys setlist

Tuesday, May 8th, 2007 by Chris Riemenschneider

I’ve yet to hear from anyone who didn’t agree with my review, which essentially said the show was a blast. Word is that Elvis Costello (in town a night early for his Myth show) also visibly enjoyed it from the DJ booth. Let us know if you dare disagree Elvis and me!

Here’s the setlist: If You Found This It’s Probably Too Late / Brianstorm / Still Take You Home / Dancing Shoes / Ritz to the Rubble / Balaclava / Fake Tales of San Francisco / You Probably Couldn’t See for the Lights But You Were Staring Straight at Me / Teddy Picker / D Is for Danger / Do Me a Favour / I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor / This House Is a Circus / Old Yellow Bricks / If You Were There / The View From the Afternoon / Flourescent Adolescent / When the Sun Goes Down / Leave Before the Lights Come On / Certain Romance
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another blog account -

http://msp.blogs.com/themorningafter/20 ... _cost.html

with this photo -

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Someone posted to the Wiki site that "Little Triggers" was also played "later in the opening set."

Can The Gentleman or Mebloc confirm? And maybe place it more precisely?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.startribune.com/457/story/1176406.html

May 11, 2007

Elvis Costello, the Myth. First, he insisted that the nightclub establish a no-smoking policy. Bravo! Second, he and the Imposters ripped through a seamless, satisfying set that peaked during the encore, featuring early-career faves "Radio Radio,"Pump It Up" and an acoustic, jazzy "Alison."

JON BREAM, STAR TRIBUNE
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://allthebestideas.blogspot.com/200 ... ut-on.html

Caitlin blogs

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Your spooky girlfriend was out on a school night

On Tuesday evening, Rob and I headed out to some suburb somewhere in Minnesota to see Elvis Costello. It may have been Mahtomedi. Or maybe we were still in White Bear Lake. We were driving past Taco Bell, with Toys R Us to the left of us and a Bennigan's to the right of us. I was so confused about where we were (or weren't) that I almost missed the huge sign for The Myth nightclub. What an odd place for a night club, I thought. We parked, and headed to the end of the line of people waiting to enter this building, which looked like it may have been a Best Buy at one point.

We got in, and the place turned out to be not a bad place to see a show. I would even go back to the Myth nightclub if they had anything worth seeing (which I may go assess here soon - just in case). We felt like the tallest people there - we could see Elvis Costello and the Imposters, and once the Myth soundboard folks realized they needed to turn off the Motley Crue sound switch, we could see AND hear Elvis and his band.

Elvis and his band rocked out for a solid 1.5 hours, performing songs from newer and older albums. He did an 18 minute version of Watching the Detectives, and a solo acoustic version of Alison. I was hoping that they would play my all-time favorite Spooky Girlfriend, but alas. No chance.

As for Elvis, he's awesome. As for the Myth nightclub, here's a list of the upcoming talent they'll be hosting:

May 12: Bone Thugs n' Harmony
May 16: Keane
May 25: Wet n' Wild Foam party
June 2: Styx

Are they just taking whoever is coming through? Guess so. What a mix. I might pay money to see them all play at once, though.