Elvis nominated for two Grammys

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Elvis nominated for two Grammys

Post by BlueChair »

In what is otherwise a ridiculous list of nominations that in no way reflects what was truly the best of the past year in music, Elvis has managed to score two nominations.

Category 11

Best Pop Vocal Album
(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of VOCAL tracks.)

Back To Basics
Christina Aguilera
[RCA Records]

Back To Bedlam
James Blunt
[Custard/Atlantic]

The River In Reverse
Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint

[Verve Forecast]

Continuum
John Mayer
[Aware/Columbia]

FutureSex/LoveSounds
Justin Timberlake
[Jive Records/Zomba Label Group]

Category 85

Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)
(An Arranger's Award. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

For Once In My Life
Jorge Calandrelli, arranger (Tony Bennett & Stevie Wonder)
Track from: Duets: An American Classic
[RPM Records/Columbia]

Good Morning Heartache
Gil Goldstein & Greg Phillinganes, arrangers (Chris Botti & Jill Scott)
Track from: To Love Again — The Duets
[Columbia Records]

My Flame Burns Blue (Blood Count)
Vince Mendoza, arranger (Elvis Costello With The Metropole Orkest)
Track from: My Flame Burns Blue
[Deutsche Grammophon]

Stardust
Slide Hampton, arranger (Dizzy Gillespie All-Star Big Band)
Track from: Dizzy's Business
[MCG Jazz]

Suninga
Gil Goldstein, arranger (Gil Goldstein)
Track from: Under Rousseau's Moon
[Half Note]
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I am surprised there was no nomination for best collaboration with vocals. That's the one I figured they had a lock on.
migdd

Post by migdd »

It's gotten to the point that if EC releases anything in a given year, it will be nominated for a Grammy in some category. He won't win though. He's the eternal high water mark that makes winning for the other guy all the more sweet. My guess is that Blunt or Mayer will walk away with Best Pop Vocal Album. I won't even venture a guess in the other category.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I think the Grammies are so funny.

They have soooooo many categories it's hysterical. :lol:

How about Cat 176:

Best use of the word 'homocucksucker' by a contemporary rap artist (international)

Or Cat 372:

Best sounding Pan-European pseudo american wanker doing doo-wop without backing vocals and extra snare drum (male)
corruptio optimi pessima
migdd

Post by migdd »

Which begs the question, dear Jackson, "Who was nominated in those two categories?" 8)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

There's no vote

James Blunt wins both of them
corruptio optimi pessima
migdd

Post by migdd »

:lol: :lol:
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis nominated for two Grammys

Post by And No Coffee Table »

BlueChair wrote:Best Pop Vocal Album
(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of VOCAL tracks.)

Back To Basics
Christina Aguilera
[RCA Records]

The River In Reverse

[Verve Forecast]
Odd coincidence: The Christina Aguilera album includes a track which samples Betty Harris' original version of "Nearer To You."

So two albums in the same category include the same 39-year-old (and not even particularly well known) song.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Back To Basics
Christina Aguilera
[RCA Records]

Back To Bedlam
James Blunt
[Custard/Atlantic]

The River In Reverse
[Verve Forecast]

Continuum
John Mayer
[Aware/Columbia]

FutureSex/LoveSounds
Justin Timberlake
[Jive Records/Zomba Label Group]
Man , thats some scary company our boy is keeping.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.projo.com/music/content/arts ... 2a844.html

From a tour stop in Memphis last week, Robillard pronounced himself “very excitedâ€
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems that our man will be there!

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/en ... 664205.htm

He's thrilled that Paul McCartney and Elvis Costello, two of his idols, also will be there. ''I don't like to bother celebrities,'' he says. ``If I get to talk to them, I'll just thank them for being so amazing for such a long time.'' ...
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Post by migdd »

It's on now. . .it's a farce.
No sign of Elvis yet.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

migdd wrote:It's on now. . .it's a farce.
No sign of Elvis yet.
If you would be so kind -- let me know what time EC & AT are on so that I don't have to record the whole stupid exercise.
(I'm on the WestCoast...)

Thanks.
migdd

Post by migdd »

It's 10:53 here on the east coast and I'm about to give up. I think I'm going to shut off the TV, run upstairs, pull a few teeth, cut off a limb or two. . .oh, God. . .Justin Timberlake just came on. . .

. . . .if there was ever a time to commit suicide, this is it!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Dixie Chicks just won Record of the Year!
I'll save the cyanide for another day!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Yeah -- I'd go with just one of the limbs...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

migdd wrote:It's 10:53 here on the east coast and I'm about to give up. I think I'm going to shut off the TV, run upstairs, pull a few teeth, cut off a limb or two. . .oh, God. . .Justin Timberlake just came on. . .

. . . .if there was ever a time to commit suicide, this is it!
:lol: Elvis appearing there would be EXTRA farcical, it's time for him to appear looking nonplussed via satellite slouching on a piano with dark sunglasses mumbling a few words like "uh, yeah, thanks... see y'all out on the road kids. Over and out, the Costellomeister <wink>"
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well that was mostly painful. the neverending agony of rascal flatts performing eagles songs or don henley worship or whatever that was. i began praying don henley would come out. and he did, but for the wrong reasons. does smokey robinson sleep with his eyes open? andy summers looks good for 64 though. justin has become the hardest working man in show biz, you gotta give him that. mary j blige sings better since she found jesus. gnarls barkley was quite a production; it scared the children however. leo sayer immediately following a big production number was dreamed up by the same guy who decided desparado could get better. excuse me, james blunt, who's next record will sell 14,000 copies. i liked christina doing james. the performance of the rhcp is not what i will be talking about on monday, as the commercial promised. it was anti-climactic and should have been dani california, which is such a good song. i'm a big ludacris fan now, after this and his SNL performance. i think he is really just martin lawrence though. and then there is shakira.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Are there ANY of the awards given last night that ANYONE here would celebrate as an excellent choice (outside of the more obscure categories?). The show has now grown entirely meanlingless to me. When Mary Blige remarks: "It is only through total success that you gain a true understanding of who you are" I almost hurled, because that remark represents the antithesis of the true human condition and how we grow as individuals and society. If our personal and societal growth was a function of our unbridled success, what a boring lot we all would be.

I am not boring because my identidy (Maslows Hierarchy of Piaget or other) is a function of overcoming extreme adversity, not through overt success.

Grammys for the first time have not delivered anything of value,and pearl that I can latch onto to get excited about music today. So I will continue to buy the older, stock stuff that has stood the test of time, and leave the Dixie Chicks schlock pop country alt crossover rehashed and regurgitated "It's all been done a million times before" crap to the masses that either buy it in protest, or because they think the girls are hot, or they are countrified chicken-fried steak who like the twang and those sassy vixens.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

hello? just me and dan with thoughtful commentary? this is becoming a footy site.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Nah, dude, it's not really rude enough for that. And I think you're giving yourself waaaaaay too much credit for thoughtful commentary. :lol: No hierarchies at all.

I enjoy the spectacle of the whole thing and watched every single minute. I'm just that boring. This year was all about the bosoms. I thought Shakira's top was painted on. Seriously. The Dreamgirls girl in the red dress needs to have her right one downsized or her left one upsized. Or wear a different dress. Samuel L. Jackson appeared to have manboobs, so he might want to rethink that sweater. Christina was great, but she gets on my nerves because she has to do every single vocal trick she knows every single time she opens her mouth. This was her best grammy performance yet. The Justin-cam thing was stupid, as was the vote-for-some-chick-to-sing-with-Justin. Really, I think there were too many performances and not enough awards given out! RHCP were ok. I wondered how much snow went down Queen Latifah's cleavage and if Flea was shouting out the Gals or the Crew. I loved Natalie's HA-ha and her speechlessness, but somebody needs to get her a stylist. Ruffles + white = big hips, even if you're Lara Flynn Boyle.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

how about stevie wonder, he is getting bigger by the minute.

and i vote for having the left one upsized :D .

and i looked at the footy thread for the second time in years the other day and you're right. it is no wonder people beat the shit out of each other at soccer stadiums. what a nasty bunch of thugs. you need to hang out with a better crowd.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

oily slick wrote:you need to hang out with a better crowd.
I'm sure this has only happened since Moody came onto the site. I've tried to edjukate her but she reverts back to being Moody.

I would love to speak about the show but I didn't see it but have enjoyed your thoughtful commentary. Particularly about the breasts. :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

For the briefest of moments, I thought Natalie Cole was a man in drag.

I was thrilled to learn that Ornette Coleman still walks amongst the living; who knew?!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Goody2Shoes wrote:For the briefest of moments, I thought Natalie Cole was a man in drag.

I was thrilled to learn that Ornette Coleman still walks amongst the living; who knew?!
Many years ago I flew from LA to Atlanta first class sitting next to Bobby Columbi, one of the greatest trips ever. What an engaging guy, the founder of Blood Sweat and Tears and, at the time, EVP of Creative Development for Sony Music.

We talked nonstop about Jaco, Miles, Al Kooper and just so many others. He quizzed me and I did okay. About half way through the trip he told me he was taking one of 'his singers' to the Super Bowl to sing the National Anthem. I asked who, and he turned and introduced me to a very antisocial and unfriendly Natalie Cole, who is indeed built like a very powerful man. She has an intimidating presence, especially when she would have rather been in a dentists chair them being introduced to some schmuck chatting with the fast-talking Bobbi Columbi.

So the man-in-drag thing works perfectly.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)