Last.fm

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Last.fm

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I was wondering if there might be any other ECFF board regulars (or newbies) interested in joining last.fm. I've managed to wrangle in BlueChair and PoP has been a last.fm user for a long time. If I can get enough ECFF folks involved, I thought it might be a fun idea to set up a group radio station that aggregates music from everyone and to which people can tune in at any time.

What is last.fm?, you might ask. Well, it's a small application you download that links with your chosen music player (iTunes in my case), sending each song you listen to to their servers and saving it in your musical profile (they call this “scrobbling"). Not only does it provide charts of what you have been listening to, but it also offers recommendations of other music you may enjoy (plus loads of complete tracks to sample), a personal radio station that you (other users who you add as "friends") can listen to (and vice versa), as well as group radio stations I mentioned.

There's more information here if any of you are interested:

http://www.last.fm/tour/

BTW, my username is whoshotsam, so if you're inclined to join in, send me an invite to join as one of your "friends" and we can start building a little network.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Ssssshhh, Sam! I thought it was our little secret? :lol: Great idea about the group radio, though.

I mentioned this here when it was still relatively new, called Audioscrobbler and crashed every five minutes. Thankfully, things have improved...just as long as you're not on cluster 2 like, er, me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I still have yet to figure the program out completely, but I like that it tracks my iTunes habits.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

If you want to join as ECFF last.fm group member #2, I've created a group - called Elvis Costello Fan Forum, with a lovely little link back here and a B&C-era photo of our man (if that's OK with the powers that be). You'll need to search for the group and send a request to apply, 'cause I haven't yet figured out how to invite people.

There is also an online "Journal" that users can post to, as well as a Forum, though this fine site seems to do the trick just fine in that respect.

PS, here's a link to the group page:

http://www.last.fm/group/Elvis%2BCostello%2BFan%2BForum
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Scary! Big brother!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks Otis. I'm trying to get people interested and you raise the specter of Big Brother. Jeez.

Hardly. You can launch the application whenever you like. I find that it's a great way to discover new music.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I find that it's a great way to discover new music.
The Neighbour Radio feature is one of the best inventions ever. I couldn't get through a day's work without it.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

We all know that Otis is just embarrassed to reveal that he listens to S Club Seven, Girls Aloud and Boyzone when no one is watching. In any case, Red and Blue have now joined the group, and hopefully we'll get a few more.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Nothing wrong with S Club 7 mate! :lol:

*walks off and puts Don't Stop Movin' onto the Dansette*
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Mind control via laying your iTunes open! Never in a million years. I already have more music than I know what to do with in the house, no need for sinister developments like this. Actually, I don't really use iTunes to listen to. I use it as a dock for music before putting it onto CD. this will change, of course, when I finally get an iPod (I paid for one over a month ago on eBay and the prick has failed to deliver, is no longer registered on eBay and is, I am informed, in the process of refunding me. I think I'll go to Amazon and scale down from the 60gb job to the 30gb for the same price I was paying on eBay.)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

*bump*

Any other ECFF members/last.fm users interested in joining? We have a cozy little group of four now. Don't listen to Otis' paranoid rantings. This is a very cool application.
Otis Westinghouse

The Last thing you'd want to be signing up to...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks mate. Remind me to buy you a pint of hemlock when you get to New York! :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

Your reading is not close enough. I used a capital L, therefore I am advocating this tremendous innovation. I just haven't got round to it yet.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ah I see. The hemlock offer is still on though! :lol: :lol: