World Cup Fantasy League (Spoilers Ahoy!)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fifa Fo Fum - good players, rubbish first round. AND I don't have any more players to play in today's matches so that's as good as it's going to get.

Is it my ball because I don't want to play anymore? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

France were absolute rubbish - Henry is not being played properly.

Brazil weren't great but you always feel they can step it up if they need to. And as for Ronaldo MacDonaldo - he has weight and psychological problems. He just didn't want to be there. The English commentators said the fastest he ran was when he was being substituted and that they were wondering why he went to mop sweat off his forehead because he hadn't done anything that merited it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think he heard someone say DOUGHNUTS!

Which brings me to my stupid question of the day: if Ronaldo wants to complain to the Mexican referee and Niko Kovac wants to get in his face as well, what language do they use? International facial expressions?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Dammit! Neither one of my Spaniards playing! But at least Otis didn't beat me (yet). :D

PS, looks like our dear Ute Bunny (POP) is on top for round 1, no?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Very quiet game from Sheva and Fabregas only used as a late sub. Time to go a bit Ranieri on my team. Think I'll keep Sheva though. I like them to bounce back with some goals against the Saudis.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

There's going to be some high scoring automatic substitutions. Alas none of these will affect me :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Go, Poland!
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

mood swung wrote:I think he heard someone say DOUGHNUTS!

Which brings me to my stupid question of the day: if Ronaldo wants to complain to the Mexican referee and Niko Kovac wants to get in his face as well, what language do they use? International facial expressions?
They'd probably just do what the English do abroad - shout very loudly at each other.

"I was going for the ball, ref. I said the BALL! THE BALL! Tut tut, christ, this guy's thick he doesn't even know what a ball is. I said THE BALL!.............."

and so it goes. but where it's going, no-one knows :wink:
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Ye gods someone please gag Mick McCarthy! And John Motson while you're at it.

Slim lead due to last minute Cahill inclusion. It won't last now that you've all picked Rosicky.

Those Spaniards look reet tasty.
Mechanical Grace

Well I for one would be happy to see you at the top of the heap for the rest of the Cup, if it meant you'd post a bit more 'round here! We miss you!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Damn - Krauts win it at the death. Sorry Pole!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I haven't always agreed with Roy Keane but one thing is for sure...

Mick McCarthy is a cunt as a commentator.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Has Spain's time come? Awesome result. Only saw highlights (bugger work!), but they looked great. The Puyol-Torres goal ranks with Rosicky's as best of the tournament for me. Ditched Makelele and Henry. Why did I think they might deliver? Surprise draw for the Saudis. Am clinging on to a three point lead in the predictions game at work. Everyone there's put in Rosicky and Torres for phase 2. Me too. And Prso, who impressed last night, and Pirlo, who was fantastic for Italy, and is sure to deliver against US I say. Brazil disappointed, obviously, but the commentators were right when they said if Croatia got one back Brazil would just go and score another one. Ronaldo's sweat-wipe was both funny and pathetic. Basically it's a wasted career. Frothed at the mouth in '98 when he should have bee the old Wayne Rooney, spent years with a bad knee, etc., lumbers around looking bored. Why don't they play Fred? Robinho has skills, but at the age of 12 he's a little young for 90 mins. Biggest squad mystery: why on earth isn't Giuly in French team? Just finished a good season at the best club in the world, scared a cracker in the Champs and impressed throughout. And Ribery gets chosen to play? Domenech is an utter arse and must go. Bring in Wenger!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

I had a lot of fun deciding on the transfers... whether they'll pay off is another story. But I've paid 1000% more attention to the whole Cup because of this silliness, so thank you all!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Next time add the additional excitement of a predictions tournament so that you get excited about each and every game. Nothing like it! Watching games can be agony, e,g, Poland. I wanted 2-0 for predictions, craving goals from Lahm, and also for FF, but I also wanted poor Poland to do well out of solidarity with all the Poles I know and like, including our very own IP.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Everyone there's put in Rosicky and Torres for phase 2. Me too.
I'm a little hesitant to insert "hot" players at this point based one one round. Sure Rosicky looked great, but what are the chances that he'll do that again against the Ghanaians? Slim I would say. Likewise with Torres.

I put Robinson in goal because I don't like T&T to score against England's backline. I also think Shevchenko will do something against the Saudis - the Ukrainians have to be embarrassed about their performance today and I like them to bounce back, particularly after the Tunisians gave them hope by earning a draw. Fabregas looks as though he will largely be used as a sub, so I dumped him as well. Toni should give the American defenders fits on Saturday if the woeful performance against the Czechs is any indicator, so I stuck by him and added Cannavaro at the back - the USA barely got a sniff of goal on Monday.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Wow great games today. Spain owned. Great goals from Saudi Arabia and Tunisia. And Germany almost tied, which almost made me very.very happy.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Wait a second..... If Costa Rica wins 1:0 today and then Germany defeat Ecuador 2:0 next week, then Poland will have to win 3:0 againts Costa Rica and we 're in the 2nd round. Easy. :D

Excellent result for Spain. Scoring 4 goals againt Ukraine shows their potential, but I can't help remembering they have never been any good in big tournaments, so I did not "buy" any players to my team.

Just realized that the last goal France scored in World Cup was in 1998. :shock:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

I took the view that France can't do any worse than they did in 1998 or against Switzerland so I'm sticking with Henry. I substituted Lehmann (for Casillas so it may not be too bad a decision) and Huth (good decision).

I felt that I didn't want to go overboard from what players did after one game. But then I'll probably stay at or near the bottom such is my genius.

At least our boss is letting us finish work early today which means I should get home about 4.30pm, get changed and a brisk walk should see me in the pub for 5pm kick off. A run will see me there for 5.15pm :lol:

You can't beat watching an England game in your local pub (unless you get a brand spanking new dryer eh MDM? :wink: )
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Exactly, VG. When you've got 4 messy children and a messy husband, and you want to watch yourself some WC, then you absolutely need a spanking new dryer. :lol:

This whole thing is starting to take over my life. I had an incident with a policeman yesterday that I referred to as a 'caution' when I told my husband (no yellow, just a brief talking to) and I saw a co-worker sporting a blue and white striped shirt and thought Argentina! When are they playing and do I have any players?
verbal gymnastics

That's the great thing about these Fantasy Leagues. You sometimes root for one team but don't mind them scoring against you sometimes if one of your Fantasy Players scores.

I'd hate it if Trinidad and Tobago score today but at least I'd get Fantasy points if Dwight Yorke scored.
Mechanical Grace

Oh, for a dryer, period. Or a washer, or a dishwasher. Or a spanking.

Football ain't the only thing that's a fantasy for me these days. :roll:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

remind me in 2010 to read the rules first, k? I am kicking my 8 y.o.'s butt. Sadly the 20 & 12 y.o.'s are kicking mine. Spanking is becoming a regular motif.

Ulises De La Cruz. Sounds like Otis' kind of player. I dropped Gooch for Dempster, my analysis concluding that Gooch will be nervously trying to avoid the second yellow and Dempsey has a cute haircut.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Dempsey has a cute haircut.
Ironclad reasoning.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Well, drawing them out of a hat was aggravating my RSI.