What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:It's too bad they stuck Running Scared and Black Betty (horrible) on the cd version because they're probably my least favourite covers on that album. Most of the rest are pretty good. Which do you like best?
"All Tomorrow's Parties" and "Sleeping Annaleah" are quite good.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Enjoying this one
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

It's a magic number.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

bambooneedle wrote:Most of the rest are pretty good. Which do you like best? Not heard any other version of the song to compare it to but regardless I have a soft spot for Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart.
I second that emotion and would add By The Time I Get To Phoenix, for when you don't have the time dig Isaac Hayes' 20 minute version! I prefer Nick's version of the former, in spite of it being my favourite Gene Pitney tune, even beating 24 Hours To Tulsa (because I prefer Dusty's version).

I would love to hear I'm Gonna Kill That Woman live too. Haven't heard John Lee's original.

And inspired by your post, I'm listening to this, which I heartily recommend:

What this world needs is more silly men.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Very nice so far. Second XTC-album I listen to. I don't think I'll like it as much as as Skylarking in the end but there are some great songs here.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Snap!
These days Im enjoying this even more than Skylarking.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Watching (and listening to) the video for "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken", the terrific single from Camera Obscura's new album...

Lloyd
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Listening to the World Cafe' download and loving it!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Watching (and listening to) Camera Obscura - Teenager .
Excellent pop tune. Thanks for the tip, WSS (and johnfoyle) !
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thanks for the rec KH. Nick Cave's always had to struggle to convince me against earlier impressions of him when I thought he was way too pretentious and overrated (that version of Black Betty explains it all). Partly due to frequent exposure to some of his videos. I've got and enjoy some of his good later work -- Murder Ballads and The Boatman's Call -- but good as they are I've always hesitated to get any more.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Referrence to Beckett's More Pricks Than Kicks which was in turn a reference to, um, St Augustine, or someone of that ilk!

Jack Johnson - Where'd All The Good People Go? Good question.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Watching (and listening to) the video for "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken", the terrific single from Camera Obscura's new album...
Anything that gives Lloyd greater prominence is fine by me. I checked this/them out when he mentioned it on his website but I didn't hear much that was new. Song was quite nice though.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Very well crafted pop tune IMO. The video's a hoot, and the rest of the album is very good - the kind of thing I'll be spinning over the summer.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Referrence to Beckett's More Pricks Than Kicks which was in turn a reference to, um, St Augustine, or someone of that ilk!
That quote is from the Bible. Specifically, Acts 26:14
And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

And a bit of context to make sense of it:

A large percentage of people in the first century were tillers of the soil. Oxen were used to work the soil. The prick or goad was a necessary devise. The prick was usually a wooden shaft with a pointed spike (prick) at one end. The man working the ox would position the goad in such a way as to exert influence and control over the ox. You see, if the ox refused the command indicated by the farmer, the goad would be used to jab or prick the ox. Sometimes the ox would refuse this incentive by kicking out at the prick. As result, the prick would be driven deeper into the flesh of the rebellious animal. The more the animal rebelled, the more the animal suffered. Hence, the statement to Saul: "It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks." (Saul was rebelling against God.)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

This is why I love this board. Muchas gracias, King Hoarse, I love the origins of words.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

today's theme song: Crash and Burn.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Good idea - Husker Du's "Dead Set on Destruction" playing chez moi. Revel in the misery!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Terrific power pop by Memphis' late, lamented Subteens- this is the Burn Your Cardignan EP.
Otis Westinghouse

King Hoarse wrote:That quote is from the Bible. Specifically, Acts 26:14
And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

And a bit of context to make sense of it:

A large percentage of people in the first century were tillers of the soil. Oxen were used to work the soil. The prick or goad was a necessary devise. The prick was usually a wooden shaft with a pointed spike (prick) at one end. The man working the ox would position the goad in such a way as to exert influence and control over the ox. You see, if the ox refused the command indicated by the farmer, the goad would be used to jab or prick the ox. Sometimes the ox would refuse this incentive by kicking out at the prick. As result, the prick would be driven deeper into the flesh of the rebellious animal. The more the animal rebelled, the more the animal suffered. Hence, the statement to Saul: "It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks." (Saul was rebelling against God.)
Nice one! I'm not sure I'd heard that full explanation before. It sounds so incongruous, such a modern expression. Obviously because of the modern meaning of 'prick', but in terms of the ring of the whole thing too.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

King Hoarse wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Referrence to Beckett's More Pricks Than Kicks which was in turn a reference to, um, St Augustine, or someone of that ilk!
Well that changes the way I hear Johnny Cash' "The Man Comes Around".

And it fits much better within the lyrical context. Thanks for the clarification. It enriches an already great song
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Mr. Average wrote:
King Hoarse wrote:
Well that changes the way I hear Johnny Cash' "The Man Comes Around".

And it fits much better within the lyrical context. Thanks for the clarification. It enriches an already great song
That's the song that finally made me look for it. Johnny really outdid himself with the biblical juxtapositions in that (his last original) song, like the prick-kicking following the whirlwind in the thorn tree.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Actually, Cash's final original song is "Like the 309," which will appear on American V - out July 4th
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.