River in Reverse discussion

Pretty self-explanatory
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I hope All These Things turns out better than Running Out of Fools on KV. I guess hearing these 2 songs on the B&C bonus disc first has kind of ruined it for me...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, know it's not out yet, but there's usually someone who's got hold of an advance copy. Anyone heard anything?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I'm reliably informed there are a few promo copies floating about at the moment so you can expect one of us EC anoraks to give an early review soon.

Btw, here are the amazon ordering links via this board

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FA ... F8&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FB ... F8&s=music
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It appears that the Japanese bonus track will be "The Greatest Love."

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1366357
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I got a copy of the album yesterday . I've listened to it and am enjoying it. I'll post more detailed comments nearer to the actual release date. I post this note because I'd prefer to be as open as possible with the contributors here.
frank

Post by frank »

'Tears, tears, tears ... and more tears' is already on the playlists of radio 1 - Belgium. This morning they said it was the first single of the album. Can anyone confirm this?
John

Post by John »

frank wrote:'Tears, tears, tears ... and more tears' is already on the playlists of radio 1 - Belgium. This morning they said it was the first single of the album. Can anyone confirm this?
It'll probably be a Monkey To Man type single which is very rare and more an album track used to try to get the odd radio play. It's number one in this "most added" chart!
http://www.fmqb.com/triplea.asp
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further? should be the single since it's the catchiest track on the album. But that wont happen since it's the only track Allen Toussaint does most of the vocals on. Too bad since, in a perfect world, it should be all over the radio all summer long. Tears etc is the next catchiest track on a great album that gets better with ever listen.
John

Post by John »

Do you have it blasting out in your store, Foyle Bros?

How many tracks?

DVD ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes!
Just the disc , not the DVD....yet!

Since Elvis is no longer a Dublin resident I don't have the anxiety I had when I had WIWC a few months before release. Playing that I kept thinking 'How do I explain it if he walks in? ' It was quite possible ; he once had a car stereo fitted from a store a few doors up from us.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

There is the chance Cáit might walk in. Now that would be a bit of CCTV to keep!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArt ... SSAINT.xml

Toussaint-Costello collaboration rises from Katrina

Tue May 2, 2006

By Jeffrey Jones

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - It's a collaboration that grew from Hurricane Katrina, and now Elvis Costello and New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint have cemented the relationship with songs that won hearts in the battered city.

It all came together on Sunday as tens of thousands of fans crowded a performance by Toussaint, known for a string of 1960s and 1970s rhythm and blues hits, and his new musical compadre, Costello.

"To see the sea of people out there who had no reason to be afraid of New Orleans -- they were obliged and eager to come to New Orleans and they were having a good time," Toussaint told Reuters during a post-performance stroll of the grounds at the city's annual Jazz & Heritage Festival.

"And Elvis Costello being on stage at the same time was another added treat."

Toussaint, a pianist and singer who penned such classics as the Lee Dorsey hit "Working in a Coal Mine" and "Fortune Teller," recorded by the Rolling Stones, has been active in musician and survivor relief efforts for his city, which was devastated by the August 29 hurricane.

The disaster scattered local artists across the United States and left many worrying New Orleans' rich musical heritage could be damaged irreparably.

Jazz Fest producer Quint Davis described this year's festival as an act of defiance as New Orleans and fans of its music look past flood-ravaged neighbourhoods and its other struggles.

"THE BOSS" PAYS TRIBUTE

The festival started on the weekend and resumes Friday for three more days at a racetrack that was submerged by flood water eight months ago.

Fans were also wowed on Sunday by Bruce Springsteen and his massive, rootsy Seegar Sessions band. "The Boss" paid tribute to New Orleans' musical legacy, calling it "This great mother city of American music."

Toussaint has played a major role in that.

Like so many of his fellow citizens, his home was destroyed in Katrina's floods and he is still rebuilding. But the 68-year-old's musical output has not slowed, as his work with Costello attests.

He found himself in New York after the hurricane and played some of the early Katrina benefit concerts with Costello, known for such tunes as "Pump it Up" and "Watching the Detectives."

London-born Costello was considering recording an Allen Toussaint songbook CD, and showed up regularly at Joe's Pub in New York, where Toussaint was performing for Sunday brunches.

"He thought we should seize this moment to work together," Toussaint said as fan after fan interrupted to shake his hand.

The result was the album "The River in Reverse," slated to be released in June. It marks the first time in a career dating back to the 1950s that Toussaint has collaborated on composition.

"It's very special with Elvis. For one thing, I've learnt Elvis's heart is so big. He's a most sincere man about the music, about the art, about people and about our situation here," he said.

"This isn't an album just about Katrina, but there are statements being made by Elvis, especially, and myself that directly relate. But the album goes far beyond Katrina."

The duo previewed some of the songs, including the title track, for the festival crowd, which was also treated to a medley of infectious Toussaint classics.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

David Fricke gives the album a 5 star review in the new Mojo. He raves about it and I agree with him all the way, including his point that this collaboration works better than PFM. There's also this great drawing.

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Being There just got a promo copy of this today. Can't wait to hear it. :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

martinfoyle wrote:David Fricke gives the album a 5 star review in the new Mojo. He raves about it and I agree with him all the way, including his point that this collaboration works better than PFM. There's also this great drawing.

:-) Love that drawing! Would be interested in hearing your thoughts, Blue.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Great picture!
Btw, has anyone ever seen our El in shorts ?!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:Great picture!
Only on The Simpsons...

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

invisible Pole wrote:Great picture!
No but I've seen Paul Weller in shorts and it was not a pretty sight!

I don't think our El would look too good in shorts but I don't intend on spending much time thinking about it. The time spent writing this post is long enough!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Really digging this album - I'm not going to make any huge revelations but I will say that "International Echo" and "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further" are my favourite tracks so far.

Universal must really be up on its security measures.. neither Red's MacBook Pro nor my Dell PC can detect the CD, so so much for putting it on my iPod :P
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Same with my computer. A larger version of the Mojo drawing is available here. Maybe someone could store it in that Wiki thing, I haven't got that figured out yet.

http://download.yousendit.com/B9C9B8BF22FEDB98
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Really digging this album - I'm not going to make any huge revelations but I will say that "International Echo" and "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further" are my favourite tracks so far.

Universal must really be up on its security measures.. neither Red's MacBook Pro nor my Dell PC can detect the CD, so so much for putting it on my iPod :P
I hope that's only the case with preview copies. I'd be pretty ticked off if I shelled out $17 or whatever ridiculous price they're asking for it, only to find out that it is not iTunes/iPod compatible.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's probably tighter security for pre-release since it's not supposed to be heard by the masses until June. To my knowledge, the only label that has been a major pain in the ass thus far with importing music into iTunes on a PC is EMI - that and Sony's Dualdiscs.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Is this a vinyl edition of RIR ?

http://www.vibrantsound.com/iserve/barcode/602498564547

River In Reverse ~ Costello,elvis

Please refer to UPC 602498564547 when inquiring about River In Reverse by Costello,elvis. THIS ITEM IS NOT IN STOCK AND MUST BE ORDERED.

Ships from: Irvine, California
Title: River In Reverse
Artist: Costello,elvis
Format: Full Length LP
Release Date: 06/06/2006
Label: UMVD/VERVE
Catalog: 683901
Genre: Rock/pop
UPC: 602498564547
SKU: 602498564547
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Japanese release has been changed ; I just received this e-mail -

Hi. Thank you for shopping at CDJapan.

We have just received an update from
the distributor.

The release date of the following item(s) has
been changed from 2006/06/02 to 2006/05/27.
=============================================
UCCB-9011
Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint / The River In Reverse

CDJapan
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp