Neil Goes To War

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Neil Goes To War

Post by Mike Boom »

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2006/04/n ... n-war.html

Apparently Neil straps on Old Black and calls to impeach the President on his new record called "Life In War" recorded in three days and due for release "soon".
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice one, Neil!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

My immediate concern (other than will it be any good) is whether this will derail the Archives yet again. But I'll follow Uncle Neil just about anywhere.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I never thought he'd return to the Eldorado band but man it makes me happy!
What this world needs is more silly men.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Actually King, Chad Cromwell and Rick Rosas are both on Prairie Wind. But if the advance notes on this album are correct, it's a-gonna be a loud one.
scooter4

Post by scooter4 »

First post here, should be brief, but probably won't be...I can give ya some "credentials" if ya want 'em...Only seen EC twice, Imperial Bedroom tour and a couple (or so ) years ago with Billy Bob opening...Sat in front of the TV with a portable cassette recorder and taped the Tom Snyder Interview...In my neighborhood we hardly ever heard EC on the radio, so there's WAY more songs I don't know than DO know...Anyway, what I like the most about EC and Neil is their attitude, which seems to be "I'm gonna do what I want, you like it, OK...you don't like it, that's OK too..." There seems to be quite a split between the Acoustic Neil types and the Electric Neil types...And judging by what I've seen at the Thrasher's Wheat site (daily visits) Canadians have no business commenting on American policy...Anyway, I don't mean to get political (yet), and as has been noted elsewhere this probably means a longer wait until we see the Archives--the Amelia Earhart couplet is MINE BTW, but I can't prove it...just wanted to say hello...Jeez, let's see, FIVE Beach Boy 'boards, Thrasher's Wheat, and now this...Anybody got a good rhyme for "pathetic" ? :wink:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Canadians have no business commenting on American policy?

And Americans have business commenting on Iraqi policy? On French policy? On German policy? On Russian policy? On Chinese policy?

Not that I've necessarily disagreed with the U.S. in their criticism of what's going on in other parts of the world, but the discomfort that some Americans have for citizens of other countries criticising their politics is kind of ridiculous. U.S. actions have so much to do with what goes on all over the world that it is in everyone's best interest to take notice and speak their minds, whether they agree with U.S. policy or not.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

And Neil has lived in the States for almost 40 years.

(On another note, I guess he won't be playing Let's Roll on the next tour, luckily. Hawks & Doves would be an interesting choice, though.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
scooter4

Post by scooter4 »

Just to clarify a little...born here, will probably die here (USA)...BUT much of what goes on here sickens me...Will not list everything, but --I HATE how Americans (some of 'em) crow so f**king much about #1 we are... I know the rest of the world is laughing at us...with good reason...Of course Canadians have the right to criticize US policies...I am curious about whether Neil is a citizen...Graham Nash became one years ago...And I wonder if THIS is still true: it used to be the deal that if you became an American citizen, you renounced your country of origin...Apparently no other country makes you do that, dual citizenship is no big deal except for in America...uh, oh,there goes my blood pressure, gotta simmer down...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/musi ... 358210.ece

Neil Young sets his sights on Bush
He is country rock's biggest icon, and he is angry. Recorded in secret, his forthcoming album savages the war in Iraq. One track says it all: 'Impeach the President'
By Andrew Buncombe
Published: 17 April 2006

It started as a rumour - gossip shared by fans on internet chat sites. Could it true, they asked? Could Neil Young, a cultural lodestone for a generation of country rock fans, really be turning his attention to President George Bush and the war in Iraq? Now Young himself has confirmed it. Not only has he recorded an entire album about the conflict, but in one of the songs he spells out who he thinks is to blame for the ongoing chaos and violence and what the consequences for that person should be. That track is called "Impeach the President".

"I just finished a new record - a power trio with trumpet and 100 voices," the 60-year-old says in a ticker-tape message posted at the bottom of his official website. "Metal folk protest? It's called Living with the War."

Further details about the album came from Jonathan Demme, the film maker who produced the recently released documentary Heart of Gold about the singer-songwriter. "Neil just finished writing and recording - with no warning - a new album called Living With War," he told the music magazine Harp by e-mail. "It all happened in three days ... It is a brilliant electric assault, accompanied by a 100-voice choir, on Bush and the war in Iraq ... Truly mind blowing. Will be in stores soon."

Those who have followed Young's twisting career, stretching over more than four decades - from the psychedelia-tinged rock of the folk-rock band Buffalo Springfield in the Sixties, his joining up with Crosby, Stills, and Nash, his huge solo success in 1972 with Harvest, as well as the experimentation of the Eighties and finally his return to country rock - may be a little surprised by Young's decision to launch such a blunt political assault against the Bush administration.

Indeed, in the aftermath of the al-Qa'ida attacks on the US of 11 September 2001, it seemed that Young had taken the side with the President and supported the steps he was taking in the so-called "war on terror". Having written a song, "Let's Roll", to honour the passengers on board United Airlines' Flight 93 who apparently fought with the hijackers and forced the plane to crash-land in rural Pennsylvania rather than letting them use it to target the White House, he announced his support for the Patriot Act. The Act, which gave law-enforcement bodies a whole range of new powers, was condemned by many campaigners as an assault on civil liberties. Young said at the time he thought the legislation was necessary.

Speaking at an awards banquet in Hollywood where he had received the Spirit of Liberty award by the liberal campaign group People for the American Way, Young announced: "To protect our freedoms it seems we're going to have to relinquish some of our freedoms for a short period of time." But now it appears that for whatever reason, the Canadian-born singer's support for President Bush has run it's course and that his latest incarnation is as a protest singer. He has joined list of musicians such as the Dixie Chicks, Lou Reed, Dave Matthews, Steve Earle and REM who have used their platforms to speak out against the war or the administration in general. His song urging that Mr Bush be impeached reportedly accuses him of "lying" and features a rap with the President's voice set against the choir singing "flip-flop" - an accusation Mr Bush and other Republicans aimed at John Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate, during the 2004 election campaign.

Meanwhile the lyrics to the new album's title track include the words: "I'm living with war right now, And when the dawn breaks I see my fellow man, And on the flat screen we kill and we're being killed again, And when the night falls I pray for peace, Try to remember peace."

Whilst details of the 10-song recording are still incomplete - it is known that he is accompanied by Chad Cromwell on drums, Rick Rosas on bass and Tommy Bray on trumpet - a further insight into what to expect has come from the California-based musician Alicia Morgan, who was recruited to be part of the 100-strong choir. In an entry on her blog on Friday she wrote: "Have you, like me, been recalling the great protest songs of the Sixties, and wondered where the new protest songs are? Yesterday, I found out." She said she and the other singers read off the lyrics as they flashed onto a giant screen, with cheers of approval coming up from the choir. With the main tracks having been previously recorded, Young himself directed the backing singers. "Turns out the whole thing is a classic beautiful protest record. The session was like being at a 12-hour peace rally," she said.

"Every time new lyrics would come up on the screen, there were cheers, tears and applause. It was a spiritual experience ... We finished the session by singing an a cappella version of "America the Beautiful" and there was not a dry eye in the house." She added: "I've never been at a recording session that was more like being at church. Heck, I've never been to a church that was more like a church than that session." Speaking from Sherman Oaks, California, yesterday Morgan told The Independent that many people liked Neil Young because he "pisses everybody off".

She said: "I have always enjoyed his music and respected him. People have told me he used to be a Reagan supporter but I don't think he is bound by any ideology other than his own. He writes and sings about whatever is going on in his life. Sometimes it's political - sometimes it's not."

Asked if she thought Young had enjoyed the 12-hour session, at which they completed the 10 tracks, she added: "Very much so." Young, who has served on the board of Farm Aid, fellow singer Willie Nelson's project to help rural Americans, for more than 20 years, is not the first person to have suggested the impeachment of Mr Bush. With his approval ratings in the low 30s, Democratic Senator Russ Feingold has sought to have Congress pass a motion to censure the President, though the effort has received only limited support from Mr Feingold's Democratic colleagues.

Meanwhile Mr Bush can apparently do nothing to shift his ratings, the worst for a president in second term since the days of Richard Nixon, for whom, incidentally, Young also wrote a song. Young, who has said he has previously voted for the Republicans, was apparently inspired to write the words for the song "Campaigner" - originally called "Requiem for a President" - after watching television news about Nixon's wife suffering a stroke and seeing the broken president arrive at the hospital. In the song he wrote: "I am a lonely visitor, I came too late to cause a stir, Though I campaigned all my life towards that goal."
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

echos myron like a siren
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Well, I've been streaming it most of the day, and it's loud, all right.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Steve Forbert has been inspired by current events as well.

http://www.steveforbert.com/audio/audio.htm
The Baghdad Dream

http://www.steveforbert.com/audio/Steve ... _Dream.mp3

I started work on this song while reading Larry Diamond's Squandered Victory, back around Christmas. (You'll hear the holiday time frame in the lyrics.) I suppose it will be among the songs ultimately included on my next album. But due to the increased controversy about Donald Rumsfeld's handling of the Iraq situation, we're making it available now. This demo was recorded April 21 & 22 at Marc Muller's studio on the Jersey shore. It's been a bit frantic getting it together and doing the Phoenixville and Bayshore shows, but here it is.

The Baghdad Dream

It's enough to make you scream
What a well mismanaged scheme
Mr. Rumsfeld calls the shots
And we all get what we've got
Oh, the Baghdad dream

It's enough to make you ill
As it goes the way it will
Can you calculate the cost?
What's been gained and what's been lost
Oh, the Baghdad Dream

Would you risk your life to vote in a burka or a coat? Would ya?
Take the traffic off the road so a car bomb don't explode in the...
Is your armor qualified to protect you while you ride down the...
Is there hope in all of this? Can Iraqis co-exist in the...
Is it rotten to the core? Is there nothing else but more of the...
Do we hafta stay and stay? Can we ever get away from the...
Is it freedom we've increased or a madder Middle East? What the...
Mr. Bush can't show remorse, he can only stay the course of his...
Stick a sticker on your car for the soldier off at war in the...
It's a holiday at home as they soldier on and on in the...

What a long November with the leaves all fallen down
What a cold December with the snowflakes on the ground
What a blue, blue Christmas in a decorated town
What a sad, old New Year when your loved one ain't around

Oh, the Baghdad Dream
Oh, the Baghdad Dream
Oh, the Baghdad Dream

Written by Steve Forbert
(c) Rolling Tide Music 2006
Produced by Marc Muller
The Baghdad Dream (Credits):
Steve Forbert - vocals, electric guitar, keyboard
Marc Muller - vocals, electric guitars, lap steel, bass, drums
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Has anybody had a chance to stream the album? What do people think? While I think some of it is a bit over-the-top, "Let's Impeach The President" isn't a bad song at all!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

BlueChair wrote:Has anybody had a chance to stream the album?
I had it on in the background at work most of Friday, and am doing the same today. It's a good album, but not necessarily great; I'm mostly impressed that he was able to put something together this "together" so fast. There are a few songs that I think will endure for many years; some of the ones that name names might not. But yes, I'm enjoying it.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I like the title track - and man, could you get a guitar more distorted?
echos myron like a siren
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This album hits store shelves today
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

To me it's sounding a bit too preachy, seems to be tapping into obvious dominant sentiment with too many cheap platitudes...
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

If there's one thing I can't handle, it's a cheap platitude. Man, if you're gonna use platitudes, spend the big bucks.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I don't care about or can figure out what your problem is exactly, but got anything to say about the album?
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Apart from the fact that the bits I've heard sound good, and it's on my list? Nope, not yet.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Where the hell was Neil Young when Steve Earle was sticking his neck out there with stuff like "John Walker's Blues" and getting slaughtered for it? The President's such an easy target now - doesn't take that much sack to put the boot in at this point.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Finally picked this up and am enjoying the hell out of it. Preachy? Yeah. Reactionary? Sure. Impassioned? Absolutely, and that's why I love it.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

But what about The River in Reverse? We await your insider view.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Can't wait to properly hear it- not released until June 6 in these here parts.