Advice from people into the following bands

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Chrille

Advice from people into the following bands

Post by Chrille »

I'd like to know more about some bands and since people here, alltogether, have a wide knowledge of bands of all genres. Perhaps you can tell me where to start and what to avoid.

Echo & The Bunnymen: Recently got Heaven Up Here and I love it, also got Ocean Rain and it seems nice after just a few listens. What are their best albums besides this? Which one should I pick if I had to get one?

The following bands I sort of like, but I'm mostly afraid of them.

R.E.M: I've never been that big a fan of R.E.M although I own Automatic, Green and Document, which I really like. I'm mostly interested in their early albums, which I hear are supposed to be the best ones. Any standouts?

Simple Minds: I have a feeling Simple Minds are not popular here, but I'm interested in their early albums such as New Gold Dream and Sons & Fascination. To anyone who knows most of their discography, are there any other early albums worth checking out?

Midnight Oil: A friend keeps recommending this band but I've avoided them because I generally don't have much in common with his other tastes. I must admit though that some songs I've heard here and there are very nice. Besides Diesel & Dust, what's a good place to start?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Echo and the Bunnymen - Porcupine , then Crocodiles
REM - Fables of the Reconstruction , Murmur, Lifes Rich Pagent and Reckoning are all brilliant.

Dont know about the other two....
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

What happened to the Recommendation Game thread?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I was never quick enough to answer anyone to get the opportunity to ask ;)
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Midnight Oil: Blue Sky Mining and Earth & Sun & Moon are basically Diesel & Dust parts two and three but they're all old favourites of mine, especially the latter since I attended an excellent gig on that tour about 15 years ago. I'm not sure I'd like all that righteousness as much without the nostalgia though.
What this world needs is more silly men.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Re: Midnight Oil - Locally, a lot of MO fans swear by 10, 9, 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 , it's got their better known early songs - Short Memory, Read about It, US Forces, Power and the Passion.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm with Crocodiles too. I got bored with them once they went all stadium. Same with Simple Minds. Sons and Fascination is a typically pretentious title, but it had some great stuff on it, derived from the Kraftwerk European electronic tradition, like I Travel, and The American, but then it got all bloated and 'stadia here we come' with New Gold Dream, though it has some lovely songs like Prmised You A Miracle.

I got into REM with Out Of Time, which is a great record (as well as the hits, it has two outstanding songs ion Half A World Away and Stipe's fave REM song, Country Feedback: 'it's crazy what we could have had/I need this', which he sings like it's an intense therapy). I was interested in their early stuff, but never realy heard it. Murmur is great, but Fables did little for me, when I bought it a year or two again. A patchy one but with many of my favourite moments is New Adventures In Hi-fi, with highpoints like Electrolite, New Test Leper and, er, the one that goes 'me and you' that I read Radiohead once did a cover of. so I would highly recommend OOT and NAIHF to anyone with the slightest liking for REM.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

My REM Top Five would be:

1. Reckoning
2. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
3. Lifes Rich Pageant

The IRS collection of early singles (The Best Of?) is really good if you want to check out the early years and it's only $5 or so on Amazon.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, folks :)

About Echo:
I'll look for Crocodiles and Porcupine then.

About R.E.M:
I'll go for Life's Rich Pageant next. My sister has everything after Green, I might just borrow something from her if I ever decide to go for the more recent stuff.

About SM:
The copy of Sons & Fascination I have is the original album with the bonus LP Sister Feelings Call Tacked on at the end. I Travel is not on my copy though. Like you say, it's very pretentious (but it's sometimes quite charming with SM). It would've been a great album had probably half of the songs been removed. The tracklist I'd have liked, with half the songs removed, would be:

In Trance As Mission
Sweat In Bullet
70 Cities As Love Brings The Fall
Love Song
Seeing Out The Angel
Theme For Great Cities
The American
20th Century Promised Land

I have New Gold Dream, which I like very much, and Sparkle In The Rain, which many say is terribly bloated. I personally think the A-side at least is nice.

About Oil:
KH: I'm certain my sister has Earth & Sun & Moon, I might just borrow it.
Bamboo: I recall that title, it's possible one of my siblings might've had it on vinyl. I don't remember anything about it though. But I might pick it up if I find it cheap.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Id forgotten about "New Adventures.." which is pretty good, and both "Automatic" for the People an "Out of Time" are very good , more acoustic based things.
but Fables did little for me, when I bought it a year or two again.
Lots of people dont seem to rate Fables , but I think its their very best record - not a bad song on it , and songs like Old Man Kensey , Kohoutek, Cant Get There from Here, Wendell Gee, Green Grow the Rushes are all some of REMs strongest. I think its REM at their very highest peak. The playing is full of passion and the songs and arrangements are all interesting -the horns on Cant Get There for example.
echos myron like a siren
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

The Reconstruction CD bonus tracks are definitely my faves of the IRS reissues too. Crazy, Bandwagon and the live Maps & Legends and Driver 8 are worth the price of the cheapo CD on their own.

I agree that the arrangements are top notch on the album but Joe Boyd's intentionally murkish production probably put a lot of first time listeners off. It's worth many listens, though, and once you get into it you won't fall out, which can be a problem with some of REM's more obviously catchy stuff.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Yeah , I think your right about the production putting people off at first.
Nice avatar by the way KH - I love that movie ... "DON'T ATTEMPT ANYTHING WITHOUT THE GLOVES!"
echos myron like a siren
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Now Fables... sounds like the more interesting next choice. I'll get that next instead ;) . There appears to be another batch of R.E.M. reissues being released soon. I think I will until then before getting Fables.

While at the topic of R.E.M. The other day I listened through R.E.M's Document again, right afterwards I listened through Wire's Pink Flag. When I heard Strange on the latter I thought "hey this sounds very familiar, where on earth have I heard it before?" :roll:

That looks familiar, KH, what movie is it from?
Last edited by Chrille on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

My alltime fave Withnail & I. As quotable as the first Sällskapsresan.

(My band's latest record - my old avatar, incidentally - opens with a sample of Withnail - my new one - on a mountaintop at night shouting "BASTARDS!" etc)
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Aha, I've been meaning to see that movie for quite some time but never had the opportunity.

Hmm, I can't find any detailed information on the Document, Fables... and Reckoning reissues. They're listed at cduniverse.com though.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think Document might be my favorite REM record, though it changes from time to time. It has "Finest Worksong," "End of the World" and "The One I Love," of course, but it also has some of my favorite non-hit REM songs, like "Disturbance at the Heron House" and "Exhuming McCarthy." I honestly don't think there's a weak moment.

I'll echo some of the choices of others. Life's Rich Pageant is pretty much a perfect record, and I adore Fables, Reckoning and Murmur. I also think Green is a lot of fun.

Of their more recent records, Automatic for the People is the best. But New Adventures in HiFi is really fabulous as well. And whatever else anyone else says, I think Reveal is a really good record.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Reveal is OK, but it's all too similar in pace and tone. Gets sludgy. Apparently the last one was ever more so. Will have to revisit Fables. I got a nice best of all the pre-Out Of Time years back when OOT was out, and played it to death driving around Spain, so knew and loved things like Can't Get There and Driver 8, but the unfamiliar ones didn't grab me. Will revisit. Joe Boyd is one interesting fella. Never known much about him, but he seems to have an amazing history. There's an article oin the current the Word which I'm about to read.

Be Mine is the New Adventures song I was failing to remember. There was some event (Tibet concert) with REM, Radiohead and others and they were each covering a song of one another, I think, and R'head did Be Mine, which I would love to hear. Leave is another great one off that record.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Leave is my fave off HiFi, but it's full of nuggets like the neat rocker So Fast So Numb or the first single, E-Bow the Letter (featuring Patti Smith) and great opener/later single How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us that I recall reading was more or less improvised as Bill Berry sat down at the piano during a soundchesk once playing that four note riff. Wasn't pretty much the whole album recorded or at least written at soundchecks during the Monstour, come to think of it? It's a good balance of Automatic- & Monster-type songs anyway.
Otis Westinghouse

Yeah, I think some was recorded at soundcheck but a chunk is studio, but it was pretty much all written whole touring. 'Hollywood is under me' - Electrolite, and 'I can't say that I love Jesus', New test Leper. Great moments. Sum up all that was (sad but accurate tense usage) great about them. I don't mind Up. A bit experimental in an 'OK boys, so Bill has gone, what do we do now?' kind of way.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Otis, when you revisit Fables, pay close attention to "Feeling Gravity's Pull," "Wendel Gee," "Maps & Legends" and "Green Grow the Rushes."

Then do yourself a favor (not on the same day) and revisit Reveal. It's worth a fresh listen.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

No defence of their new one, though? See, even you can't be bothered. I played Revela a lot when I got it, and some of it is very nice. But it's a band past their prime. I dug out my CDs earlier, and just looking through the tracks on Up reminds me of its superior quality, e.g. the lovely Daysleeper, rousing Walk Unafraid. Put on Fables and was happy a) because the left speaker on my computer which was due to go back to its supplier as it seemed to be blown after my son's January party when the volume got out of hand (enough to make a window shake in a different room!), but after a lengthy rest, it seemed to be back to normal and b) because, yes, Gravity's Pull, for example, did sound good. It's hard when you know and love some of the best songs on an LP via a compilation to then get as excited about the rest, and I would say Driver 8, Can't Get There and Green Grow are three of their best ever songs, but clearly I need to play it some more. I loved all of Murmur straight off, though again the 'hits' Radio Free, Passion and Perfect Circle stand out. also loved Laughing. Gonna check out all the other earlies soon too.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think Around the Sun is mediocre at worst, with some really bright spots here and there. I like "Leaving New York" very much, and I think "Boy in the Well" and "Wander Lust" are superb songs. But it's definitely their least worthy record. And as far as the whole "band past their prime" thing goes, I'd just say that Bowie had a loooooong bad streak, but seems back in fine form. Even if you think Reveal is weak (and I respectfully disagree), 2 let downs out of 13 might not be anything more than a lull.

Just for kicks, here's a review of Around the Sun from Amazon.com. I actually disagree with this review a great deal, but it just goes to show that some people actually like this record a LOT:

"Having delivered their last great album with 1992's haunting Automatic For the People, R.E.M. spent more than decade attempting all kinds of reinvention, from the pointlessly noisy Monster to the painfully dull Up. But with Around the Sun it feels like the band is getting its bearings back. Not only is it the Georgia trio's most consistent album since the 1997 departure of drummer Bill Berry, but it also sees the return of the lush imagery and intricate playing of the band's vintage years. There are trains, mandolins, Man Ray skies. More importantly, it seems heartfelt. Witness the gorgeous disquietingly dark opener "Leaving New York," the rapturous folk of "I Wanted to Be Wrong" and the solidly intense "Boy In the Well." At 13 generous tracks, it's far from perfect but--just when everyone thought R.E.M. was down for the count--Around the Sun is an unexpected bruiser of a comeback. --Aidin Vaziri "
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Horses for courses. No doubt this was flanked by a couple of one star reviews. That's always the way with Amazon. I'm probably swayed too much by professional critics, but having read several which said the same thing ('Why did they bother? It sounds like they could barely get out of bed to make this one'), you get a clear sense that you'd rather not depress yourself by hearing it. Well, this guy makes me at least more interested, and Leaving NY did sound pretty good, I agree. Then again, I would never call Up painfully dull.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Maybe I should switch this to a strictly REM thread. I'll leave that up to our moderators.

The first new REM album I heard was Fables, and I've been a fan mostly ever since. Thanks to the magic of the Internet I was able to hear Around The Sun on Michael Stipe's MySpace page before it came out. Frankly, if I hadn't heard it first I would have bought it first day, like the rest of them since Green. I really wanted to like it, and I didn't. This was almost traumatic, since not long before they were my favorite American band.

Reveal didn't do it for me, though I played the heck out of Up when that came out. I found that one to be a very strong effort considering they were trying to figure out their direction while trying to decide if they should continue. (Though that fat check from Warner Bros. probably kept them in the studio.)

The last album of theirs I really liked, though some fellow travelers still hate it, is Automatic For The People. It's the one I still throw on when I hear there's a new REM album on the way, and I want to get in the mood. Past that, I swear by their first four albums, followed by Dead Letter Office to fill in the gaps.

I don't think they went downhill after Bill Berry quit; rather I think the catalyst was Stipe shaving his head.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think the shaved head was less about personal choice and more to avoid looking like James Taylor. Stipe's hair was falling out, so he went completely bald.

Automatic For the People is a perfect record.

Otis,

I like Up a lot. Definitely not painfully dull.
--William Shakespeare