Vote for Elvis in MTV(UK) lyric poll

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Vote for Elvis in MTV(UK) lyric poll

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.mtv.co.uk/vh1/shows/article. ... d=45132595

' It's all about the words that we remember

What is the best lyric ever written? It’s time someone stood up and took stock of this pressing issue - and that someone... is you.

What stand out as the most truly affecting, inspirational and memorable song lyrics you’ve ever heard? Well we got our experts together, and around a whole lot of cappuccino’s and cotton candy, they came up with a ‘long list’, the 100 top contenders for the greatest ever lyric.

So now we want your vote! Hit the link on the right

http://www.mtv.co.uk/mtvuk/shows/lyric.jhtml

and have your say. Don’t leave it to the anoraks that haunt the MTV cafeteria into the wee small hours arguing semantics, make it your list and your choice.

Will it come from Madchester or Britpop or Indie, a group or a solo artist, a local hero or an imported genius? You decide!'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elvis Costello
Shipbuilding

"Is it worth it? A new winter coat and shoes for the wife, and a bicycle on the boy's birthday"

Shipbuilding Written by Elvis Costello and Clive Langer. (c) 1982 BMG Music Publishing Ltd and Warner Chappell Music Ltd Lyrics reproduced by permission of IMP Ltd Used by kind permission
verbal gymnastics

Re: Vote for Elvis in MTV(UK) lyric poll

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.mtv.co.uk/vh1/shows/article. ... d=45132595

What is the best lyric ever written? It’s time someone stood up and took stock of this pressing issue - and that someone... is you.
Easy.

The best lyric ever written is from Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go Go which says

"You make the sun shine brighter than Doris Day".

There is not a finer lyric to be had. Go on, I dare you to find something better...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Re: Vote for Elvis in MTV(UK) lyric poll

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The best lyric ever written is from Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go Go which says

"You make the sun shine brighter than Doris Day".

There is not a finer lyric to be had. Go on, I dare you to find something better...
? Guilty feet have got no rhythm ?
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

Side Note:

>>
James Brown
It's A Man's Man's Man's World
This is a man's world, this is a man's world, but it would be nothing, nothing without a woman to care"
>>

The ending to this lyric is not correct. It should be "... without a woman or a girl".

By the way there are a bunch of great lines in this ClASSIC tune. God what a great song and perfomance! If you ever get the chance hunt down the ES live version. Unbelievable live perfomance (also Prisoner of Love)! You would never see anything like it today.

You see man made the cars
To take us over the road
Man made the train
To carry the heavy load
Man made the electric lights
To take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water
Like Noah made the ark
This is a man's man's, man's world
But it would be nothing
Nothing without a woman or a girl

Man thinks of little baby girls And the baby boys