Taking Liberties reissue -- speculation

Pretty self-explanatory
Dr. Luther

Taking Liberties reissue -- speculation

Post by Dr. Luther »

I recently got a copy of the "Unloved Songs" boot -- stunning, in its sound quality, and delightful, in its content.

Given the timing of these ridiculously high quality tapes surfacing at this strangely late juncture, and given the recent performances by Elvis of a couple of the more obscure (and obviously earlier) numbers, I'm prepared to predict the following:

The Taking Liberties reissue is going to be a a collection of totally unreleased, and largely unheard of, outtakes and alternate takes, covering the time frame of the entire reissue series.

This makes sense, one, because these tapes are possibly surfacing now because they have been screened (relatively) recently for possible inclusion on an upcoming release -- and, two, they indeed would have scheduled this type of release for the end of the reissue series to ensure that they had access to everything that would be available, (as new stuff seems to surface periodically).

These specimens on "Unloved" are so close to the masters in sound quality that they would pretty much have to be related to some official project of some sort.

Speculation, yes, but quite feasible I believe.
Imagine, 2 discs of this variety of stuff, as a Taking Liberties release!

Any thoughts?
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

for dummies like me, what's on the boot?
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

My apologies.

I truly wasn't intending to come off as "privileged" or "elitist" for referencing these releases. I thought that it was fairly common knowledge.
(In fact, the existence of these 2 releases, torrents, were the final straw in motivating me to finally learn how to navigate the process of file-sharing downloads. Now, to install a burner and figure out how to use it...)

Here's the link from the Trading Board:

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=4823

May Peace Prevail
And No Coffee Table

Re: Taking Liberties reissue -- speculation

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Dr. Luther wrote:Given the timing of these ridiculously high quality tapes surfacing at this strangely late juncture, and given the recent performances by Elvis of a couple of the more obscure (and obviously earlier) numbers, I'm prepared to predict the following:
The "Unloved Songs" CDs have been around for at least a couple of years, so I wouldn't read too much into that aspect of the timing.

On the other hand, the recent performances of "I Hear A Melody" and "Blue Minute" were totally unexpected and almost certainly the result of listening to the old recordings. The thought did cross my mind that those songs could be under consideration for an official release.

If nothing else, the recent performances suggest EC has a fondness for two songs he has previously chosen not to release.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice theory, and entirely plausible. I Hear A Melody is a great song, I know it from the Oct Indianopolis gig. I've downloaded Unloved Songs but, to my immense shame, haven't checked them out yet. I've kind of ground to a halt as I've totally over-filled my hard drive and need to clear things off onto CD or into the trash before converting or downloading any more files! I have to keep away from Dimeadozen. Almost impossible for me to go on there for 10 mins and not salivate for something new. The Waits Watchers 6 CDs are proving an immense treat!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I know how it is. I just got the Dylan live '66 extravaganza (8 CDs worth...)

I was unaware that the "Unloved" stuff had been circulating that long -- however, I'm sticking to my prediction for 2 reasons.

"Leaked" material of that quality HAS to come from an "official" source, i.e., be related to some sort of project, even if it's somebody enlisted to listen to every note on tape that exists to know exactly what they've got on their hands from which to cull.

Secondly, these projects take years anyway, and this reissue program has been pushed back so far that the 2 years doesn't throw me off my theory.

Why would Elmo start playing "Melody" and "Blue Minute" all of a sudden?
It's got to be related to him "filtering through the Archive", as it were. (Hell, in the past he's claimed to have not remembered recording certain songs that popped up - like "Running Out of Angels" - so why, all of a sudden would these 2 songs pop into his head if it hadn't been prompted by some kind of project event.)

I'm standing by my prognosis, right or wrong...
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I'd agree with Dr Luther that there is probably enough material to justify at least a two disc set. The missing Wendy James demos alone could form it's core, before even beginning to tap the UNLOVED SONGS-type material and the missing rarities that didn't appear on the Rhino reissues. Could record company politics impact this though? EC only owns his Columbia-era work, not the WB material. Would a release that includes material from both eras present logistical problems? I don't know.

I do know that of the UNLOVED SONGS tracks, several really do warrent release. I'm particularly fond of the "Almost Ideal Eyes" demo, but the "Punishing Kiss" and "Little Atoms" demos are cool, too. "The Other End (Of The Telescope)" with the original lyrics, the full Attractions arrangement of 'Poor Fractured Atlas", and the Brutal Youth era take of "Distorted Angel" are also all clearly worthy of (re) consideration. Any why on earth weren't the original BBC performances of "Really Mystified" and "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" included on the THIS YEARS MODEL reissue?

And like "...And No Coffee Table", I find EC's recent resurrections (against all odds) of "Blue Minute" and "I Hear a Melody" to be a promising indication that he's been listening to old tapes for... some reason. Those particular songs I think would be better suited for a collection of his pre-professional work (which is something that EC has considered releasing before), than as part of a career wide compilation., though.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maybe Elvis listening to his old songs while researching his books based on his work.

see

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=1784
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Whilst I agree that at least some of the 'unloved songs' deserve an official release, it seems unlikely that it'd be called Taking Liberties (or 10 Hail Marys, or Out of Our Idiot) - ie TL was mostly previously released stuff, and all (well, 99%) of those tracks have already been included in other reissues.

Plus, a CD of just previously unreleased stuff wouldn't sell very well.

However, if Mr Foyle's hunch is correct, some of those tracks might be compiled onto a CD to accompany an Elvis book?

Regarding the Wendy James demos - don't forget that The Juliet Letters was done around that same period and has yet to be reissued. It would, therefore, make sense if 'The Gwendoline Letters' were included amongst that bonus material.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I don't know.
A "Taking Liberties" release would make NO sense, in the context of the originally released format.

If indeed this project truly exists, I would suspect that they a merely borrowing the title...
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Dr. Luther wrote: A "Taking Liberties" release would make NO sense, in the context of the originally released format. If indeed this project truly exists, I would suspect that they a merely borrowing the title...
I agree with that; some of us have already bought "Big Tears" and the like on CD three or more times, so putting out a combination of TL/10 Bloody Marys would be, well, greedy.

Something else liable to piss off those who bought the three Singles boxes would be to collect all the rarities from those and put them on a CD.

But I remember waiting for the rumored "mopping up" collection in the Ryko era, and it would be a nice way for Rhino to seal up the program if they put something out that would both collect any strays and include things like the "Unloved Songs" material.

It would also be nice if The Juliet Letters reissue would happen soon, too.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

wardo68 wrote:But I remember waiting for the rumored "mopping up" collection in the Ryko era, and it would be a nice way for Rhino to seal up the program if they put something out that would both collect any strays and include things like the "Unloved Songs" material.
If indeed there is still a "Taking Liberties" in the works, this is the only thing that would make ANY sense. I really don't think that they're going to create a generic and redundant issue of that title just to "complete" the catalogue.

Perhaps one disc "OutTakes", and one disc a "live retrospective" -- largely covers and drastically different treatments than released studio versions?

Am I delusional here? :?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Where can you find a basic list of all the previously released tracks from 1977 to 1997 not included on the Rhino CDs?

Here.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Where can you find a basic list of all the previously released tracks from 1977 to 1997 not included on the Rhino CDs?

Here.
This site never ceases to amaze me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Rhino site never ceases to amaze me either.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/03/20/141549.php

Vinyl Tap: Elvis Costello - Taking Liberties

Written by GL Hauptfleisch

Published March 20, 2007

I get a new turntable and dust off some old records. Vinyl Tap #37:

The wordplay and mercurial ways of Elvis Costello can often be, to paraphrase one of his own songs, “so contrary / Like a chainsaw running through a dictionary.â€
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote: Regarding the Wendy James demos - don't forget that The Juliet Letters was done around that same period and has yet to be reissued. It would, therefore, make sense if 'The Gwendoline Letters' were included amongst that bonus material.
I thought that The Juliet Letters were reissued last year on Rhino:
http://www.amazon.com/Juliet-Letters-El ... 74&sr=1-42
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Nice theory, and entirely plausible. I Hear A Melody is a great song, I know it from the Oct Indianopolis gig. I've downloaded Unloved Songs but, to my immense shame, haven't checked them out yet. I've kind of ground to a halt as I've totally over-filled my hard drive and need to clear things off onto CD or into the trash before converting or downloading any more files! I have to keep away from Dimeadozen. Almost impossible for me to go on there for 10 mins and not salivate for something new. The Waits Watchers 6 CDs are proving an immense treat!
Now, I don't convert the downloaded FLAC files anymore and don't burn them on CD. I burn the FLAC files and DVD files (and any other files) on DVD-R with Nero 7. One DVD-R can easily hold 5 or 6 concerts. It saves a lot of time and space! And it's dead easy.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

sweetest punch wrote:
ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote: Regarding the Wendy James demos - don't forget that The Juliet Letters was done around that same period and has yet to be reissued. It would, therefore, make sense if 'The Gwendoline Letters' were included amongst that bonus material.
I thought that The Juliet Letters were reissued last year on Rhino:
http://www.amazon.com/Juliet-Letters-El ... 74&sr=1-42
yus, but my comment pre-dates that release (and we still haven't seen The Gwendoline Letters) :o
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

[quote="johnfoyle"]http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/03/20/141549.php

Vinyl Tap: Elvis Costello - Taking Liberties

Written by GL Hauptfleisch

Published March 20, 2007

One of the most evocative tracks is “Big Tears.â€
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

You are correct sir.