What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Just when I was trying to curb my Dime-ing (well, I have pretty well filled up my hard disc), that Prince number sounds highly enticing.

Badly Drawn Boy: Silent Sigh. I adore this song. And Pete drums on it.

Haven't dared return to Aerial since the first couple of plays. Overwhelming impression was that Kate has become such a revered institution that she can put out songs that sound dull, unimaginative, lifeless and dated and people will still rave. I can't believe it's the same talent that produced Hounds of Love, but perhaps that's just me. Maybe after four plays I'd get what everyone else seems to be, but same problem I have with most Nick Cave, why put it back in the CD player when there are so many other things?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
hollyh

Post by hollyh »

I've got to chime in on this Hiatt stuff -- I agree, I like the weathered voice really well, these songs have a lot of texture. "Find You At Last" has a kind of gritty desperation to it that I love; "Cold River" is gravelly and shattering; and "Thunderbird" makes me want to get out in a car and drive all night with the top down. I love Hiatt's songwriting because it 's so honest about the crap that goes down in life, and a voice that sounds like it's had some rough times fits perfectly.

Which is not to say that "Bring the Family" isn't one of the greatest albums ever. My personal favorite Hiatt album is "Crossing Muddy Waters." His voice is starting to get a little, well shall we say bluesy already, but the songs are so souful and rich, it almost annihilates me to listen to this one.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm still getting to know Aerial. Definitely different from her more theatrical stuff but I like it a lot. It's pretty and it's personal; almost as different for her as North was for Elvis (I said almost) in that it takes the risk to drop the habits of too-clever-by-half and do something straightforward. The Sensual World was a bit like this and was not well-received but it's got some great beauty on it in places. I'm hoping this is the beginning of phase two for her.
Otis Westinghouse

Interesting North comparison, but it strikes me as much less interesting/enjoyable. Will report back after 3 or so more playings.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, it's not as *good* as North, no. But North is a great, great record.

I think Aerial is a paean to domesticity, which may or may not be what wants from someone like Kate Bush (as if there's anyone like Kate Bush). The songs are about the fantasies that spin out from a life spent at home, presumably something she knows a lot about (and appreciates) these days. The cover more or less says it all-- what look like exotic and weird rock outcroppings reflected in water are really just the Rorschach-style shapes of sound waves-- soundwaves of a blackbird singing, a theme heard all through the record's two discs that comes to be a reminder that all throughout this, she's at home, and how could you surpass the beauty of that (or of blackbird song)?

As a concept record I think it's great. It may not stand up against your latest catchy Dime download (you downloading slut! 8) ) or even against my radio tune of the moment (latest single off Gorillaz, due to be overdone in about another half a day) but there's a lot to it and I suspect it will linger with me a lot longer, even if only as an idea.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Now...

Top stuff. 8)
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Ladytron- Light & Magic
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

If your curbing your Dime addiction Otis you wont want to scoot over there and download the faboulous stripped, bare to the bones, spine tinglingly great, "Hissing Of Summer Lawns Demo's" then will you?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"Sufjan Stevens" - [Come on and feel the] Illinoise. Any comments on any other recordings by Sufjan? I thought I read that his "50 State Project" started with "Michigan". If correct, has anyone heard it, care to comment?
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

He has one other state album, which is the excellent Greeting from Michigan. And you're correct that that was the first state album. He's coy about whether he really intends to make 48 more albums. I think he should release a few singles and EPs to cover the tough ones. After all, no one really expects anyone to come up with a whole album of material on North Dakota.

He's also recorded albums called Seven Swans, Enjoy Your Rabbit, and A Sun Came. I haven't heard those, but I'm betting they're good.

I HIGHLY recommend Michigan if you like Illinois.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
hollyh

Post by hollyh »

Just had a number of Randy Newman songs come up on my iTunes -- Real Emotional Girl, Marie, I Miss You, the soulful stuff rather than the satiric things. I don't listen to it all the time but when it shuffles on it hits me.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The first two CDs played in my new car: Punch the Clock (I wanted something bright, brassy and sassy) and Husker Du's 'Warehouse' (a disappointment because the sound quality of this CD is so horrendous and low).
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The Decemberists- Her Majesty
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

shatterproof wrote:Ryan Adams - 29

Extraordinarily beautiful and sad. Blue Sky Blues and Carolina Rain just kill me. I can listen to it while I'm walking to work because the endorphins balance me out. But at work I have to put it away for fear of getting all weepy. I don't want the boys in the lab making fun of me. :wink:
I'm also enjoying this one, although I think Cold Roses is the best of this year's lot. Talk about an artist being able to get into a deep and personal place.....
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

noiseradio wrote:I HIGHLY recommend Michigan if you like Illinois.
How similiar is it to Illinois? While I really like Chicago, it almost felt as it was too much of the same. Don't feel like I need another full album of it.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

It's different enough for me to keep coming back to it. Some people claim to like it better than Illinois. You could always check out the sound samples at Amazon.com.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

(What's So Funny About) PLU? A colleague at work asked today if I knew it! She was forgetting my well documented penchant for the man that made it famous. It's a standard requirement that the English language courses we publish for teeenagers have to have some famous songs on, and the authors of one book rather impressively asked for PLU to be included, specifying it should be the EC recording. I volunteered to bring it in for her, and so am making a compilation of c. 5 live versions including the original. Quite interesting to study the same song live over a 26 year period.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

If you need a friend, don't look to a stranger,
You know in the end, I'll always be there.
And when you're in doubt, and when you're in danger,
Take a look all around, and I'll be there.
I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say.
I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be.
But if you wait around awhile, I'll make you fall for me,
I promise, I promise you I will.
When your day is through, and so is your temper,
You know what to do, I'm gonna always be there.
Sometimes if I shout, it's not what's intended.
These words just come out, with no gripe to bear.
I promise, I promise you...
And if I had to walk the world, I'd make you fall for me,
I promise you, I promise you I will.
Gotta tell ya, need to tell ya, gotta tell ya, I've gotta tell ya...
I promise, I promise you...
And if I had to walk the world, I'd make you fall for me,
I promise you, I promise you I will. I will. I will.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Now...

You rock WSS- Do you have his first two solo albums? Both are excellent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

These guys are friends of mine. I played in a band for several years with the guy in the middle. Their video for 'Matter of Degrees' was on MTV2 last night- I was so proud! These guys have been doing the garage rawk thing since the early 90s and had a huge influence on the Vines, the Hives, etc. If you like that kind of thing, check it out!

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

yesterday it was Georgia Hard and You Are The Quarry, which kind of left me in a dissociative state yet still wanting to kick somebody's ass, so today I'm keeping it low key...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »